Sports biomechanics is the physics of sports. It studies the structure and functions of biological systems and applies the laws of mechanics to get a clear picture of the performance of athletes by using concepts like measurement, computer simulation, and mathematical modelling. The applications of sports biomechanics can be applied to many sports like Golf swing, Baseball, Diving, Swimming, Gymnastics, etc.
This Blog Includes:
What is Sports Biomechanics?
In Sports biomechanics, the body of athletes is studied by professionals to provide them with better techniques to enhance their performance and reduce their injuries. Due to advancements in the fields of science, technology, and research biomechanists make possible the best muscle recruitment and performance. The application of appropriate load-barring procedures by a biomechanist helps protect the athlete’s body.
Also Read: Sports Engineering as a Career
Why Pursue Sports Biomechanics?
- There are many career prospects after pursuing a sports biomechanics researcher, university professor, sports performance specialist, clinical biomechanist, ergonomist, forensic biomechanist, and university professor.
- Sports biomechanists get lucrative salaries. According to Ambitionbox, the average annual salary is INR 6.4 lakhs.
- Biomechanics is significant because it affects us physically. As the population ages, understanding how our bodies need to move properly will help us live longer and that becomes a personal aim for each person and a public health goal for society.
- Athletes can gain knowledge about their own movements and make the necessary adjustments to increase performance and reduce their risk of injury by using the biomechanics of sports and exercise.
- Researchers in the biomechanics discipline create a brand-new, more potent technique for better execution of a sport motion. Therefore, the basis for effective technique in all sports is an understanding of biomechanics and its application of it. Hence, by examining the way the human body naturally moves, biomechanics helps in relieving strain and tension on the bones, joints, muscles, and ligaments.
Popular Universities Abroad for Sports Biomechanics
Following are some of the well-known universities abroad that offer Sports biomechanics-related courses.
|University Name Country Name THE World Rankings|
|University of Toledo USA 601|
|Leeds Beckett University UK 801|
|York University Canada 401|
|Loughborough University UK 351|
|New York University USA 24|
|University of Dundee UK 201|
|University of Delaware USA 351|
|University of Chester UK 1201|
|University of Aberdeen UK 192|
Admission Process for Studying Sports Biomechanics Courses in Foreign Universities
A sports biomechanics course can be a really good choice if you feel passionate about studying the structure and function of the human biological system and are also enthusiastic about sports.
Pursuing this course in a foreign university can be a rewarding experience as a student will be able to get exposure to rich global experiences.
In order to pursue a diploma or postgraduate course in sports biomechanics the general eligibility criteria of foreign universities are UG degrees in sports or biological sciences or any other related field. The student also must have secured minimum marks as asked by the university the student wants to apply to. If the student wants to apply in an English-speaking country, then he/she will also be required to give standardized tests like TOEFL/PTE/IELTS.
Students need to go through the following general steps in order to enrol in the Sports Biomedic course:
- Shortlist universities and courses and also check out the complete curriculum, student reviews, and overall ranking of the school. You can also take the help of Leverage Edu’s AI course finder to find the right course for you.
- Contact the shortlisted universities to resolve all the queries related to the course, the application process, the costs, the teaching style, placements, etc.
- Prepare for standardized tests like English proficiency tests – IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE as well as other exams like the GMAT, GRE, SAT, and ACT.
- Preparing Essays for Application. Writing a strong and creative SOP is an essential part of the application because it carries a lot of weight. For the MBA and PhD programs, the student might have to submit essays for admission and research ideas.
The next step is to complete the application procedure and make a list of all the necessary documents and critical items you’ll need to meet the eligibility requirements. Following are the general/basic documents required to study Sports biomechanics-
- If going for a master’s, you will need a UG degree from a recognized university with minimum marks as required by the university of your choice.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official transcripts of marks
- Statement of Purpose
- Scores of English Proficiency Test – IELTS/TOEFL
- One-page resume (concisely drafted)
- Bank statement showing sufficient funds
- Student Visa
- Offer Letter
Also Read: Best Universities for Athletes and Sports Lovers
Top Colleges in India
The table below represents the top colleges in India that offers course related to sports science.
|College Name||State||Fees (1st year)|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Manipal, Karnataka||INR 2,30,000|
|Annamalai University||Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu||INR 37,050|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 11,325|
|Sri Ramachandra Medical College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 2,00,000|
|Patanjali University||Haridwar, Uttrakhand||INR 27,500|
|International institute of sports management||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 7,31,360 (total fees)|
|Rayat Bahra University||Mohali, Punjab||INR 95,000|
|Santosh University||Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh||INR 81,600|
|Manipal College of Health Professionals||Manipal, Karnataka||INR 2,10,000|
|National Institute of Nutrition||Hyderabad, Telangana||INR 1,05,000|
A student with a degree in sports biomechanics can explore various fields and career prospects. Some of the popular job profiles are-
- Bio-Mechanical Engineers
- Biochemical Engineers
- Biomaterials Engineers
- Dialysis Engineers
- System Physiology
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Genetic Engineers
Jobs and salaries
The following table represents some of the popular job designations for a person having specialization in Sports biomechanics and the corresponding salaries-
|Job Designations||Salaries (in USD and INR)|
|Sports performance technician||$57,000-$71,000 / year (INR 47.15 Lakh – 58.74 Lakh)|
|Performance coach||$3,500 / month (INR 2.89 Lakh)|
|Biomechanical Analyst||$58,000-$76,000 / year (INR 47.99 Lakh – INR 62.88 Lakh)|
|Assistant professor of sports administration||$60,000 / year (INR 49.64 Lakh)|
|Associate professor of Exercise Science||$53,000-$63,000 / year (INR 43.85 Lakh- INR 52.13 Lakh)|
|Lead performance specialist||$54,000-$70,000 / year (INR 44.68 Lakh- INR 57.92 Lakh)|
Also Read: The Career Path to Become a Sports Manager
Ans. The applications of sports biomechanics play an important role in sports. Without paying attention to sports biomechanics there can be many injuries that athletes have to go through, some of which are-
Swimming- Swimmers can face issues like body roll and shoulder pain.
Running- Athletes go through body issues like foot positions and shin splits, ITB friction Syndrome and Weak gluteal muscles.
Ans. Sports biomechanics take use of techniques like computer simulations, measurements and mathematical modelling to help athletes in improving their performance and also reduce injuries. The applications of Sports biomechanics can be used in any kind of sport which helps in identifying the optimal movements for athletes and enhancing their sports-specific techniques
Ans. Sports biomechanics is based on 5 important components – force, levers,
balance, motion and momentum
Ans. Following are the 3 important principles of sports biomechanics-
For a desired change in motion use the correct amalgamation of timing and force.
Align your body to produce ground response force efficiently.
Use forces to move an object in the desired direction
Ans. The two essential goals of sports biomechanics are-
a) To avoid any injury and also help in the rehabilitation of sports.
b) To help athletes improve their performance by focusing on optimum techniques
Planning to study abroad? We at Leverage edu are all about helping students to realize this dream which can open the door to many career opportunities. To get assistance in your application process, just register on our website or call us at 1800-572-000.