The Scholastic Assessment Test or SAT is an examination that is undertaken by students who want to enroll in undergraduate programs abroad. The SAT results are accepted by more than 85 countries around the world. The examination is conducted for 2 hours and 14 minutes. The SAT exam pattern consists of a reading and writing section and a mathematics section. The reading and writing section includes 54 questions and is conducted for 64 minutes. Hence, preparing well for this section is equally important. Therefore, we have provided 10 SAT writing and language tips that can be useful for the test takers.
|Exam Sections||Reading Writing, and Mathematics|
|Exam Duration||2 hours and 14 minutes|
5 SAT Writing Tips
SAT Writing and Language Tips can help a student to prepare well for the examination. The writing section of the SAT examination tests the grammar skills of the student. 44 questions are asked from this section that need to be completed within 35 minutes. Below we have provided some SAT writing tips that can be used by a test taker.
- Try to answer the questions while you read. Time constraint is a real thing in the SAT exam. There are approximately 48 seconds to answer the questions. Hence, understand the main idea of the passage and answer the questions quickly,
- It is better to leave the longer questions for the end. The reason is, that these questions require the students to answer them after reading the whole passage and understanding it.
- Frame relevant and concise answers- At times 2 choices can seem like the correct answer. Therefore, go with the shorter choice as it can eliminate the wordiness.
- Use Punctuation correctly- The writing section is meant to test the punctuation skills and grammar skills of the test taker. Hence, it is important to be aware of the correct use of commas, conjunction, colon (:), Dashes (—), etc.
- Another excellent SAT Writing and Language Tips: Learn how to correlate ideas. It is important to analyze contrasting ideas, reinforcement of ideas, cause and effect of ideas, and more in the SAT exam.
5 SAT Reading Tips
SAT Digital 2023 has combined the reading and writing sections. Hence, it is important to give equal attention to reading and the English writing skills of the candidate. Here are some writing and language tips- Reading that test takers can make use of.
- Be aware of the kind of questions asked in the SAT examination. Questions from the reading section can come from history, natural sciences, and literature, among others. Moreover, they can be anything from comparing 2 passages to finding the main idea of a passage.
- Skip a hard question, if needed. The reading passage is not presented based on difficulty. Hence, students can choose the order they want to answer the questions
- Another SAT Writing and Language Tips is to focus on key ideas- It is not necessary to read the passage word for word. Understand the context of the given passage to answer the questions.
- In the SAT examination, the opinion of the reader is not asked. Hence, it is important to only answer the question, and skip the personal opinion. It is also necessary to complete the task on time.
- The SAT examination presents two shorter passages for one topic. The questions of the 1st passage are asked 1st, the second passage is asked 2nd, and combined questions of passages are asked at the end. Those who read two passages at one time can save time.
|SAT Registration||Top Universities Accepting SAT Scores|
|SAT Essay Examples||SAT Maths Subject Test|
|SAT Exam Pattern||SAT Superscoring|
One tip is to answer the shortest questions first and leave the difficult questions for the last. Moreover, it is important to write grammatically correct answers.
Answer all questions clearly and concisely. Generally, the right answers are always relevant to the materials surrounding them. When confused between choices, it is best to go for the shortest answer as it will eliminate the excess words.
Each passage given in the reading and language section has 11 MCQs. The questions are either where the test takers have to recognize errors or improve the expression of ideas. Hence, the English language skills such as grammar and its usage are tested.
Utilize Leverage Edu’s Leverage Live classes to enhance your English scores and improve your college application. This way you will increase your chances of securing a spot in your dream college. You can also call us at Ph: 1800-572-000.