Master of Theology is a postgraduate course that usually spans 2 years. It is offered by top universities, seminaries, and divine schools all around the world. Students can take up different areas of theology such as Christian doctrine, New Testament studies, and ecclesiastical history, depending on their personal interests and preferences. In addition to this, students gain in-depth knowledge in their chosen field as well as training in different research methods. In this blog, we will discover the top universities offering Masters of Theology, eligibility, scholarships, career scope, and more.
|Name of the course||Master of Theology|
|Duration||1- 2 years|
|Mode of delivery||Online and offline|
|Eligibility||A bachelor’s degree with 50-55% marks in the same field.|
|Career scope||Bible translator, pastor, religious teacher, social worker, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Masters of Theology?
Are you unsure whether a master of theology is the right choice for your career? Here are a few reasons why it might be a perfect choice for you:
- Master of Theology can help students gain valuable insights into different religious and philosophical matters.
- It collaborates in the overall spiritual development of students.
- This popular course allows students to take an interdisciplinary approach by studying multiple disciplines at the same time.
- Students also get a chance to develop different essential skills by pursuing this course.
- Masters of theology prepares students for different roles in teaching, leadership, and counseling.
Also Read: PhD in Theology: Colleges, Scope, Syllabus
Top Universities to Study Masters of Theology
Here is a list of universities that offer masters of theology along with their qs rank and fees.
|Name of the University||Qs Rank||Course Name|
|University of Aberdeen||208||Masters in Theology, MTh|
|University of Oxford||3||MSt in Theology|
|University of Notre Dame||304||MA in Theology|
|Harvard Divinity School||–||Master of Theology (ThM) Program|
|Fordham University||1001 – 1200||Master of Theological Studies|
|Dallas Theological Seminary||–||Master of Theology|
|Candler School of Theology||–||Master of Theology|
|University of Birmingham||84||MA Theology and Religion|
|University of Divinity||11||Master of Theology|
|The University of Manchester||32||MA Religions and Theology|
|Australian Catholic University||801 – 850||Master of Theological Studyies|
|University of Toronto||21||Master of Theology|
Students who wish to be admitted into masters of theology must first satisfy the required eligibility criteria. Although it can vary depending on the university and course shortlisted, here is an overview of the same:
- Students must have completed their 10+2 education from a recognized board with at least 50-55% marks.
- Candidates are required to obtain a bachelor’s degree in the same or related field.
- international students must also qualify for English Proficiency Language Tests (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, etc).
Both domestic and international students must submit a bunch of documents as part of their admission such as:
- A filled university application form
- Proof of finances
- A valid passport and visa
- All academic transcripts
- Work experience (if any)
- LOR and SOP
- Proof of English Language Proficiency tests
Also Read: Masters in Digital Marketing in Canada
To get admission into master of theology, here is what the entire application process might look like:
3. Now shortlist a university from the list of options. To make things easier, you can consider using Leverage Edu AI University Course Finder.
4. Once you are done with that, register on the website by simply creating a new account.
5. Fill out the application form by adding your personal and academic details.
6. Upload the necessary documents. Meanwhile, also ensure that all details are correct.
7. Pay the application fee mentioned on your screen and submit your application.
Also Read: Master in Interior Design in UK
Scholarships for International Students
Following are a few scholarships that students can apply for in case they want to do a Masters of Theology.
|Name of the University||Scholarship||Award value|
|University of Aberdeen||Chevening Scholarships||Full or part funding for full-time courses at postgraduate level|
|University of Oxford||University of Oxford Croucher Scholarships||100% course fees along with and at least £19,968 grant for living|
|University of Notre Dame||Western Australian Premier’s University Scholarship||$50,000|
|University of Birmingham||The University of Birmingham Lord Karan Bilimoria (Chancellor) Scholarship||Full tuition fees and university accommodation cost|
|The University of Manchester||The Bicentenary Global Futures Scholarships||£8,000|
Career Scope in Masters of Theology
Contrary to popular belief, a master’s degree in theology offers a wide range of career options to graduate students. They can find lucrative options in private as well as public sector. For instance, they can take up job roles like non-profit administrators, ministers, professors, resident doctors, healthcare workers, religious teachers, and so on.
Apart from this, graduates in this field can find jobs in areas like NGOs, churches, schools, Education and Research Institutes, legal firms, etc. In simple words, the scope in masters of theology is continuously rising.
Job Opportunities After Masters of Theology
Here are the most common job opportunities that students can pursue after completing their master’s of theology.
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Pastor||$85,000 – $120,000|
|Religious Teacher||$41,000 – $97,000|
|Bible Translator||$59,700 – $66,450|
|Social worker||$51,200 – $62,450|
Also Read: How to Pursue MS in USA?
Completing a masters degree in theology can help you gain a wide range of skills such as:
- Critical thinking
- Research skills
- Cultural awareness
- Oral communication skills
As mentioned earlier, graduates with a masters degree in theology can take up different job roles. For instance, they can pursue higher education in the same field, participate in community ministry, assist in parish, or pursue the teaching path. In simple words, this degree offers a wide range of options to students.
Students who wish to pursue a masters degree in theology must first obtain a bachelor’s degree in the same or similar field. Additionally, they must have also achieved at least 50-55% marks in their high school education as well as bachelor’s.
A masters in theology usually spans two years.
This blog covers all the information you need to know about Masters of Theology. If you have queries or suggestions, drop them in the comments below. For further help, our expert team at Leverage Edu is available to assist you. Drop us a call at 1800572000 today to get an absolutely free counseling session!