The USA is one of the best countries to study Health Informatics. Health Informatics is an interdisciplinary subject that combines the usage of innovation, technology, and data analytics for essential health delivery. Moreover, as per the reports by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the healthcare industry is set to grow by 13% by 2031. Hence, it is the right time to study the subject. Health Informatics as a course is available at graduate levels in several universities. Keep reading to know more about Health Informatics in the USA.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Health Informatics in USA?
- Eligibility Criteria for Health Informatics in USA
- Syllabus For Health Informatics in USA
- Top Universities for Health Informatics in USA
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Jobs and Salary
- Future Scope
Why Study Health Informatics in USA?
There are several reasons why a student should choose to study health informatics in the USA. Some of them are as follows:
- The United States leads in terms of healthcare and technology. Hence, it is an ideal study abroad destination for students of Health Informatics in the USA.
- Get access to advanced technology, research facilities, and some of the best faculty in the world
- Develop skills required in Healthcare Informatics such as programming knowledge, EHR expertise, data analytics, problem-solving skills, interpersonal skills, communication skills, knowledge of the healthcare sector, and so on.
- The advancement in medical technologies has created a demand for health informatics professionals. Students who complete the course can work as consulting associates, information specialists, database analysts, researchers, and data scientists, among others.
Also read: Masters in Health Informatics in Canada
Eligibility Criteria for Health Informatics in USA
The eligibility criteria for Health Informatics in the USA for Bachelor in Health Informatics and MS in Health Informatics are as follows.
- To pursue BSc Health Informatics a student needs to score a minimum of 45% in 12th final exams. Moreover, a student can be required to complete a minimum of one internship under the supervision of a professional in the field.
- To pursue MS in Health Informatics in USA a student needs to have completed a Bachelor’s from a recognized institution. Moreover, a student should have scored a minimum of 3.0 or more GPA on a scale of 4.0.
- Additionally, GRE scores and English Proficiency scores must be submitted to gain admission to MS in Health Informatics. The minimum IELTS score should be 6.5, and the TOEFL score between- 90-100.
- For MSc in Health Informatics, a student needs to have a work experience of 2-5 years.
Syllabus For Health Informatics in USA
The main courses that a student is required to study to complete B.sc Health Informatics/MSc Health Informatics are as follows:
Bsc Health Informatics Syllabus
The Bsc Health Informatics in USA offers a total of 70 credits The following courses will be a part of Bsc Health Informatics.
|Bsc Health Informatics in USA|
|Health Information Systems|
|Health Care Databases|
MS Health Informatics Syllabus
Every university has a specially designed curriculum. However, these are the general MS Health Informatics subjects studied by students of MS Health Informatics. It includes 5 main courses and 7 additional courses depending on the area of specialization.
|MS Health Informatics in USA|
|Introduction to Health Informatics|
|American Healthcare system|
|Legal, Ethical, and social issues|
|Health analytics leadership|
Also read: MSc in Health Informatics
Top Universities for Health Informatics in USA
Here is a list of the best universities for Health Informatics in USA:
|University Name||QS World Ranking 2023||Average Annual Fees|
|University of Chicago||10||28,500 USD/INR 32.29 lakh|
|Yale University||18||28,000 USD/INR 22.88 lakh|
|Northwestern University||32||28,000 USD/INR 22.88 lakh|
|Northeastern University||388||22,000 USD/INR 17.98 lakh|
|University of Michigan||25||30,000 USD/24.51 lakh|
|George Mason University||1001-1200||1,724.25 USD/ 1.40 lakh per credit|
The admission process for Health Informatics Courses in USA is as follows.
- First, select the Health Informatics course through the AI Course Finder.
- Next, the experts at Leverage Edu will help the student to start the application process with the respective university
- Manin documents such as SOPs, Essays, LORs, and IELTS, TOEFL needs to be submitted
- The application process for accommodation, student visas, and scholarships/student loans will be started by Leverage Edu experts.
- Finally, you can wait for the offer letter which takes around 4-6 weeks.
The main documents required for admission are as follows. Students applying for the development studies admission require to submit these documents.
- Submit academic Transcripts and updated resume
- A copy of the passport, and US Visa needs to be submitted
- Standardized test scores GRE/GMAT
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores,
- Proofs and funds
- Letter of Recommendations, and Statement of Purpose
Jobs and Salary
The jobs and salary after completing a Course in Health informatics are as follows:
|Designation||Average Annual Salary|
|Health Information Management Supervisor||37,000 USD – 62,000 USD/INR 30.24 lakh- INR 50.67 lakh|
|Health Informatics Specialist||51,000 USD – 95,000 USD/INR 41.68 lakh- INR 77.64 lakh|
|Clinical Analyst||52,000 USD – 101,000 USD/INR 42.49 lakh-INR 82.54 lakh|
|Clinical Research Coordinator||41,000 USD – 67,000 USD/INR 33.50 lakh-INR 54.75 lakh|
|Patient Access Supervisor||48,000 USD – 65,000 USD/INR 39.23 lakh-INR 53.12 lakh|
Pursuing a career in Health Informatics in the USA is incredibly beneficial. A student can either go for higher studies or choose to work in the healthcare sector. Some of the designation a postgraduate in Health Informatics can apply for includes clinical data specialist, health information manager, electronic medical records specialist, clinical data specialist, and informatics nurse.
Also read: Amazing Careers in Healthcare Industry
Yes. Healthcare Informatics is a course that is in demand in the US. The healthcare industry is set to grow by 13% by 2031.
The USA is the best country to learn health informatics.
The Health Informatics salary in the USA is between $87,152 to $41.90 per hour.
Health informatics helps a student learn about effective healthcare delivery using information technology and management systems. Some of the healthcare informatics courses include data mining, data, information technology, and information systems, among others. Yale University and Northwestern University are some of the best universities a student can apply to health informatics. To discover more articles like this one, visit the study abroad experts at Leverage Edu.