You might be wondering how someone can do a direct PhD after BTech in USA but to answer in a very short manner it is a big “Yes”. If you are a BTech student who just completed your undergraduate degree or is in the final year, don’t miss out on this opportunity as this can help you to future-proof your career, achieve recognition at an early age, and make your study abroad come true. In today’s blog, we will take a look at the astonishing opportunity of how you can do a direct PhD after B.Tech in the USA, and help you learn about the benefits, eligibility, and everything related to this topic, so stay tuned and continue reading.
Must Read- Study in USA Guide for Indian Students 2023
This Blog Includes:
About Direct PhD After BTech
When talking about PhD directly after B.Tech it can technically mean you are skipping your master’s degree but you will also be provided with all the relevant knowledge you might get while pursuing a Master’s degree which means you are not missing out on anything. A PhD is a doctoral degree that is awarded to students with an impeccable academic record, who has a research-oriented mindset and are capable enough to conduct original and independent research to contribute to the body of knowledge in their field.
|Full Form||Doctorate of Philosophy|
|Course Duration||3 to 6 Years|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based Exam|
Why Study Direct PhD After BTech in USA?
Here are some of the key benefits if you choose to pursue a direct PhD after B.Tech in the USA:
- When studying in the USA, you can get an opportunity to study at one of the top Universities in the world and experience world-class education and also get global recognition
- You can develop research skills and analytical skills which will help you in the long term
- You can also secure a tenure-track position at a University
- Get a competitive edge in your work field
- You can also get a chance to work with renowned researchers and gain practical experiences from them
Must Read- PhD in USA
List of Top PhD Courses
Here are some of the top opted PhD courses after B.Tech which we have handpicked and listed below in a tabular format
|1||PhD in Artificial Intelligence|
|2||PhD in Computer Engineering|
|3||PhD in Electrical Engineering|
|4||PhD in Information Engineering|
|5||PhD in Mechanical Engineering|
|6||PhD in Robotics Engineering|
|7||PhD in Management and Manufacturing|
Top Universities for PhD After BTech
Here are some of the top Universities offering direct PhD after B.Tech in the USA:
|University||QS World Ranking||Average Fees|
|Standford University||#3||USD 42,000 (INR 35 Lakh)|
|Colombia University||#22||USD 52,000 (INR 42.9 Lakh)|
|University of Chicago||–||USD 23,000 (INR 19 Lakh)|
|Harvard University||#5||USD 54,000 (INR 44 Lakh)|
|Yale University||#18||USD 62,000 (INR 50 Lakh)|
|University of Pennsylvania||#13||USD 43,000 (INR 36 Lakh)|
It’s obvious that you need to meet the basic eligibility criteria to pursue PhD directly after B.Tech so take let’s take a look at the eligibility criteria mentioned below:
- You need to have a 10+2 passing certificate from a recognized board
- You must have a minimum aggregate score of 60% in 12th
- You will have better chances if you have Double/Triple Majors
- You need to maintain a strong academic record and have the potential for research
- A Letter of Recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP) are also required for Internation Students
- You need to prove your English proficiency by qualifying for exams like SAT, IELTS, and TOEFL. To prepare for your English Proficiency test you can check Leverage Live or Leverage IELTS.
- You should have good GMAT/GRE scores
- You must have a Minimum CGPA of 7.5 this can also vary depending on the Universities
Here are a few steps you can follow while applying for a direct PhD after B.Tech in the USA and this can make your application process a bit hassle-free:
- Find out a suitable university or you can choose from the list we have mentioned above and check if they are providing the specific study program which you are looking for.
- After you get the best University according to your liking head over to their official website and check the tuition fees and other prospectus.
- Click on Apply and fill up the application form with all the valid information and attach all the necessary documents along with it.
- After you submit the application form you need to wait for the offer letter from the University.
- As you receive an offer letter, you simply need to apply for a Student Visa for your Study abroad dream to come true.
Also, Read- USA Student Visa
The following documents will be required for applying at any of the mentioned Universities:
- Academic Transcripts
- Financial Documents
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- GRE or GMAT score
- SAT or ACT scores (only if applicable)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- English Proficiency Test Scores like IELTS, or TOEFL
Cost of Studying in USA
Here is the average cost of studying in the USA, this will also provide you with a fair idea about the cost of studying in the USA:
|Tuition Fee||USD 30,000 yearly (INR 24.7 Lakh)|
|Accommodation||USD 17,200 yearly (INR 14.1 Lakh)|
|Basic Utilities like Wifi and Mobile Bills||USD 900 yearly (INR 74,000)|
|Food||USD 2,000 yearly (INR 1.6 Lakh)|
|Transportation||USD 1,500 to 4,000 yearly (INR 1.2 to 3 Lakh)|
|Health Insurance||USD 500- 1,000 yearly (INR 41,000 to 82,000)|
Checkout- Student Accommodation in USA
Scholarships for PhD in USA
Here are some of the top PhD scholarships in the USA:
- Yale University Scholarships
- Fulbright Scholarships
- AAUW International Fellowships
- IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program
- Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust
To learn more about the scholarships in detail, check out the blog below:
Checkout- PhD Scholarships in the USA
Here are a few job profiles along with their annual salaries which you apply for after you complete your direct PhD:
|Job Profile||Salary (Per annum)|
|Data Scientist||INR 20- 60 Lakh p.a|
|Research Scientist||INR 15- 50 Lakh p.a|
|Professor/ Lecturer||INR 7- 15 Lakh p.a|
|Life Science Researcher||INR 15- 45 Lakh p.a|
|Associate Professor||INR 4-12 Lakh p.a|
As we mentioned all the lucrative benefits of pursuing a direct PhD after B.Tech in the USA it’s also an extremely growing field to work in. Due to the technological advancements daily, it is anticipated to see a growth hike of 5% in the coming years. Apart from being one of the most demanding study programs in the world, a direct PhD after B.Tech in the USA can help you build entrepreneurship skills and makes you an innovative researcher.
Ans. Students with good academic records and who are passionate about doing independent research can be the perfect candidate to pursue a direct PhD.
Ans. Pursuing a PhD is not at all an easy task, but with proper dedication and the right guidance, this won’t be so difficult for you.
Ans. No, GATE is not mandatory if you are willing to pursue a PhD
This was everything related to Direct PhD after B.Tech in USA. As we all know how hectic and overwhelming the whole process of studying abroad can be so if you are searching for a top university and planning for studying abroad, you can reach us at 1800 57 2000 and contact our Leverage Edu experts. Additionally, you can also connect with us through our socials like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.