When planning to study abroad one of the most important aspects can be analyzing the budget like the cost of living in the study abroad destination and planning accordingly. There are many types of expenses that are related to a study abroad journey like tuition fees, travel expenses, accommodations, utility bills and the list goes on. It is highly recommended to research and be aware of the cost of living of your study abroad destination and then act on it to reduce your financial burden. In today’s blog, we are going to take a look at the cost of living in Southampton. So continue reading to know more.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in Southampton?
Before we move into the cost of living in Southampton, let us understand how studying abroad in Southampton can be extremely beneficial for your career. Let us take a look at some of the key benefits of studying in Southampton:
- Southampton is ranked among the top 1% of universities in the world, according to the QS World University Rankings 2022. You will have plenty of good Universities to choose from where you can pursue your dream study program without worrying about the quality of education.
- It is also a member of the prestigious Russell Group, which represents 24 leading research-intensive universities in the UK. Getting a degree from one of the Universities in Southampton can help you secure a high-paying job.
- Southampton is located in a very convenient position on the south coast of England. You can get easy access to some of the top destinations like London, Oxford and Brighton
- Universities here are known for academic excellence and for providing cutting-edge technology. You can easily future-proof your career by getting access to technologies early and by learning about them.
Also Read- Cost of Living in Cambridge
Cost of Living in Southampton
As we mentioned earlier there are many types of costs that are associated with a study abroad journey. We will mention some of the essentials and their cost which will help you in providing some clarity about the cost of living in Southampton:
One of the biggest hurdles that most international students face is with accommodations. As accommodations are one of the essential things while studying abroad it is important to find a good accommodation option that fits your budget. Finding on-campus accommodation in Southampton can be a great choice if you want to control your expenses as it can be cheap and as it’s on-campus you will be always near to your university. But if you want to stay in a luxurious way with spacious rooms and no rules you can go for off-campus or private accommodation options. The average cost of living in a hall of residence in Southampton is EUR 484 per month which is on-campus and the average cost of private accommodation can range from EUR 380 to 1,000+ per month depending on the features provided.
Another necessary expense is transportation. Although the transportation system in Southampton is extremely developed some transportation can be a bit expensive for a college-going international student. You can use public transport like buses, trains and ferries which can be comparatively cheap and pocket friendly but if you opt for private transport like taxis, cars or bikes it can be expensive here. The average costs are as follows:
|Trains||EUR 10 for a single journey EUR 20 for a return journey|
|Buses||EUR 2.50 for a single journey EUR 4 for a day pass|
|Ferries||EUR 10 for a single journey EUR 20 for a return journey|
|Cars||EUR 150 per month EUR 50 per week|
|Bikes||EUR 20 per month EUR 7 per week|
|Taxis||EUR 10 for a 5-mile journey EUR 20 for a 10-mile journey|
The expenses of food completely depend on your preferences and eating habits. Some students prefer eating processed food or from the cafeteria and some students like cooking their own food. Both of the options have their own benefits but cooking your own food can be more affordable and healthy. According to some statistics, the average monthly cost of groceries for students in Southampton is EUR 58. Whereas, having a meal at a mid-range restaurant can cost EUR 15 on average (for a single meal).
Also Read- Cost of Living in Barcelona
Now will through some light on some detailed costs of items/ daily necessities. This can help you to understand the cost of living in Southampton in detail:
|Items or Services||Cost|
|Apartment inside City (1 bedroom)||EUR 820|
|Apartment outside (1 bedroom)||EUR 719|
|Taxi Start (Normal Tariff)||EUR 2.85|
|Gasoline (1 litre)||EUR 1.55|
|Mobile Phone Plan with Calls and 10GB+ Data||EUR 11.30|
|Basic Utilities (Electricity, Heating/Cooling, Garbage, etc)||EUR 271|
|Cappuccino (regular)||EUR 2.94|
|Water (0.33 liter bottle)||EUR 1.22|
|Milk (1 litre)||EUR 0.96|
|Fresh White Bread (500g)||EUR 0.90|
|1 Dozen Eggs||EUR 1.89|
|Apples (1kg)||EUR 1.35|
|Banana (1kg)||EUR 1.20|
|Rice (1kg)||EUR 1.54|
Average Tuition Fees to Study in Southampton
Here are some top Universities of Southampton with their average tuition fees. This will give you an idea about the tuition fee cost in Southampton:
|University Name||Average Tuition Fees|
|University of Southampton||EUR 25,000|
|City College Southampton||EUR 17,100|
|Solent University||EUR 13800|
|Woodlands Community College||EUR 9,000|
|Grove Park Business and Enterprise College||Not available|
Things to Consider While Moving to Southampton
Hope you get an idea of Southampton’s cost of living, now here are a few things that you need to consider while moving to Southampton:
- Make a detailed list of your needs before you move into Southampton, this list should include your all kinds of expenses while studying abroad. The main purpose of making this list is to check that everything is within your budget.
- Before moving to Southampton, you should start comparing the different accommodation options and advance book the ideal one according to your budget to make the process a bit hassle-free
- Ensure you are aware of the local laws of Southampton so that you can avoid violating any law of Southpton even unknowingly.
Relevant Read: Cost of Living in Washington
Here are some of the top restaurants near Southampton: Mexifun; 5 Rivers Sports Bar; Miss Ellie’s cafe and Bacaro.
The average cost of some of the leisure items in Southampton are:
Cinema 1 Seat– EUR 10.00
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee- EUR 25.50
Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour)– EUR 16
This was everything related to the Cost of Living in Southampton. Don’t forget to reach us at 1800 57 2000 and contact our Leverage Edu experts to make your study abroad process hassle-free.