Who doesn’t want the answers to their life problems? Applied Psychology is a form of psychology that although can’t provide you with direct answers (nobody can), works to apply the researched methods, principles, concepts, and theories to help identify and design solutions for individuals as well as organizations. This field works to support individuals in their emotional distress, mental health, as well as illnesses. If this field interests you enough to want to know more about the same, then this blog provides everything you need about applied psychology, including its branches, levels of courses, colleges, jobs, and career prospects. Continue reading to know more.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Applied Psychology?
- Branches of Applied Psychology
- Types of Courses Offered and their Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process
- Top Global Universities for Psychology
- Top Indian Universities for Applied Psychology
- Syllabus for Applied Psychology
- Skills Required
- Career Prospects
- Top Recruiting Areas
Why Study Applied Psychology?
It is an attractive field for many, but what are some of its features that make it significant enough for students to pursue it? Let’s discuss the points below.
- Through the study of applied psychology, students can make use of discovered information, helping people and bringing a change to people’s lives with the field’s specialties and knowledge.
- Students gain better insights into the area of psychology where the application of the same help them work with people and their problems, making the job of applied psychology a fulfilling one.
- More and more information is discovered while pursuing research in the field, adding resources to help the mental health of humans, making applied psychology a vital field.
- The career prospects in the field are highly respected and provide students with not only a great remuneration package but also professional growth.
Also Read: 100 Psychology Facts You Must Know!
Branches of Applied Psychology
There are certain branches of applied psychology that students can plan to work towards. They are mentioned below.
- Clinical Psychology: The professionals in this field work directly with their patients to diagnose and treat their mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, etc.
- Forensic Psychology: The professionals in this field use their knowledge to work around criminal cases and support the justice system.
- Sports Psychology: The professionals in this field help professional sports players with their mental well-being, along with the proper intake of nutrition.
- Organizational Psychology: The professionals in this field help members of an organization work with stress and burnout and help improve their productivity.
Types of Courses Offered and their Eligibility Criteria
Now that the blog has discussed some of the basic aspects, it’s time to come to its academic aspect. Below tabulated information below mentions the course levels that are offered under applied psychology.
|Undergraduate||3 years||Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology;
Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Psychology
|Postgraduate||2 years||Master of Arts (MA) in Applied Psychology;
Master of Science (MSc) in Psychology; and
Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Applied Psychology
|Doctorate||2 years||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Applied Psychology|
Also Read: Difference Between BA Psychology and BSc Psychology
Taking the above into consideration, the eligibility criteria are mentioned below.
|Course Level||Eligibility Criteria|
|Undergraduate||The students should have completed a valid undergraduate degree in psychology as a major from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50% to 55%.|
|Postgraduate||The students should have completed a valid undergraduate degree in psychology as a major from a recognised university with a minimum aggregate of 50% to 55%.|
|Doctoral||The students should have completed their education at 10+2 level with a minimum aggregate of 45% from a recognized board.|
Choosing the right university and course is the main factor before the start of the application process. Follow the larger steps below to get started on the application process for applied psychology courses.
- Do your research and decide on the course and university that suits your preferences and budget constraints the most.
- Check all the details associated with the degree and the university, including the course fee, the duration, the eligibility criteria, particular specifications, the timeline of the application process, the deadlines, and more.
- Moving forward, cross-check whether the universities require entrance examination results or are only merit-based. In the case of India, there might be entrances that you have to clear to pursue applied psychology, while universities abroad could have their own set criteria.
- Collect all the documents that are required for admission and get ready to fill out the application form.
- In the case of abroad universities, you also have to submit a statement of purpose/a motivation form; letters of recommendation; and English language proficiency scores.
- Finally, submit your application form and application fee to finalise your application process.
- Await results.
The basic documents required for applying for an applied psychology degree abroad are listed below.
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
Top Global Universities for Psychology
Applied Psychology is a branch of psychology itself. Therefore, the universities mentioned below are the top-ranked universities in this field.
|Name of University||QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023: Psychology|
|Harvard University, USA||1|
|University of Oxford, UK||2|
|University of Cambridge, UK||3|
|Stanford University, USA||4|
|Yale University, USA||6|
|Columbia University, USA||7|
|University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, USA||8|
|University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA||9|
|University of Amsterdam, Netherlands||10|
Also Read: Psychology Scholarships
Top Indian Universities for Applied Psychology
For students planning to apply to Indian universities, the below-mentioned colleges/universities are the way to go.
|Name of College||Location|
|University of Madras||Chennai|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||Delhi|
|Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai|
Also Read: Entrance Exams for Psychology After 12th
Syllabus for Applied Psychology
An example of the syllabus for applied psychology is mentioned below for your reference.
|Semester I||Psychology and Its Applications I
Research Methodology & Statistics I
Practicum based on Papers I & II
Concurrent – Qualifying Language
|Semester II||Applied Social Psychology II
Practicum Based on Paper X
Concurrent – Discipline-Centred I
|Semester III||Applied Social Psychology I
Practicum based on paper VII
Concurrent – Interdisciplinary
|Semester IV||Applied Social Psychology II
Practicum Based on Paper X
Concurrent – Discipline Centred I
|Semester V||Counselling Psychology
Clinical Psychology I
Practicum based on Paper XII
Concurrent – Discipline Centred II
Also Read: Best Psychology Books
Having covered more than half information related to everything about this field, it’s now the turn to discuss the skills required for the field.
- Analytical Skills
- Organizational skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Problem-Solving skills
- Communication Skills
- Research Skills
- Logical Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Team Management Skills
- Conflict Management Skills
After having completed their education, students can explore various career prospects. Some job designations and their respective salaries are tabulated below.
Jobs and Salary
|Clinical Psychologist||INR 4 lakh|
|Forensic Psychologist||INR 5.6 lakh|
|Recreation therapist||INR 5.5 lakh|
|Education Psychologist||INR 10 lakh|
|Industrial/Organisational Psychologist||INR 4.25 lakh|
Top Recruiting Areas
Listed below are employment areas where prospectively applied psychologists can find recruitment.
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Psychiatric Hospitals
- Substance Abuse Hospitals
- Centre for Health Research and Development, Society for Applied Studies
- Defense Forces
- Research Centres
- Mental Health Organisations
Also Read: Scope of Psychology
Yes, applied psychology is a good degree for those interested in the application of human behavior study.
Generally, BA applied psychology is more beneficial than BA psychology.
Some branches of applied psychology are sports psychology, organizational psychology, forensic psychology, and clinical psychology.
The blog has covered almost everything about applied psychology. If you want to study abroad in this field, you can contact Leverage Edu experts and counselors at 1800572000 to book a free consultation today!