pH full form is the “Potential of Hydrogen”. The negative logarithm of H+ ion concentration is known as pH. As a result, the meaning of the name pH is defined as hydrogen’s strength or power. The concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution is described by pH, which is an indicator of the solution’s acidity or basicity. On a pH scale, the pH value ranges from 0 to 14.
The pH of Acid and Base
The solution’s pH varies from 0 to 14.
- Acidic solutions are those with pH values ranging from 0 to 7 on the pH scale.
- Basic solutions are those that have a pH value between 7 and 14.
- Neutral solutions are those that have a hydrogen potential or a pH value of 7 on a pH scale.
Solutions with a pH of 0 are thought to be exceedingly acidic. Furthermore, the acidity reduces as the pH value increases from 0 to 7, but solutions with a pH value of 14 are known to be very basic. The intensity of the acid and base is determined by the quantity of H+ and OH- ions generated. Strong acids are those that produce more H+ ions than they consume.
Importance of pH
- A living thing can only tolerate a limited range of pH fluctuations, and any more pH changes will make life difficult. In the event of acid rain, for example, the pH of the water is less than 7. It lowers the pH of river water when it pours into a river, making marine life less likely to survive.
- The lining of the human stomach secretes hydrochloric acid, which aids digestion by activating particular enzymes. Antacids are medications that are used to neutralise the acid produced in the stomach during acid reflux.
- Bacteria in our mouth frequently lower the pH of our mouth by creating acids through food particle breakdown. This causes tooth demineralisation and tooth decay. As a result, we are advised to clean our teeth and mouths since mouthwash neutralises the acid and aids in remineralization. Fluoride toothpaste promotes remineralization and prevents tooth decay.
- When a bee stings us, we feel a great deal of agony because the bee injects formic acid (methanoic acid) through its sting. As a result, we are usually advised to add baking soda or other mild bases to the surface to help neutralize the acid and preserve the pH.
Must Read: What is the Full Form of SGOT?
Must Read: Why Sky is Blue in Colour?
Hope now you know the pH full form. If you are looking to study abroad you can reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and you can also check our page for more related content.