Shivaram Hari Rajguru an Indian Revolutionary was born on 24 August 1908 in Khed, near Pune, Maharashtra. He was one of the freedom fighters of India who fought for Indian Independence. Rajguru sacrificed his life for “Bharat Mata” and was hanged to death along with Bhagat Singh and Sukhdev for freedom. This blog will provide you with details about the biography of Rajguru, his role in achieving independence, and life and death. Keep reading to learn more about the legendary freedom fighter of India!
Also Read: Saheed Sukhdev
Biography of Rajguru
- Rajguru belonged to the Deshastha Brahmin community and was a Maharashtrian.
- He was born in Pune in 1906.
- The place of Khed where he was born has been named Rajgurunagar in his honor).
- He learned about Sanskrit and Hindu religion when he came to Varanasi.
- During his youth, he and his family witnessed British rule and their cruel behavior towards Indians. This inculcated an anti-feeling towards the British.
- He joined a community developed by Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad named the Hindustan Socialist Republican Association (HSRA).
- He did not align with the Mahatma Gandhi policy of non-violence and believed in militant nationalism.
- He was referred to as the Gunman of HSRA as he possessed great shooting skills.
- Rajguru is known for shooting JP Saunders, a British Police Officer.
- Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, and Sukhdev wanted to take revenge for the death of Lala Lajpat Rai who died in a protest against the Simon Commission.
- While returning back to Pune from Nagpur after the assassination, he was caught by the Britishers.
- The three Indian revolutionaries Rajguru, Bhagat Singh, and Sukhdev were sentenced to death.
Also Read: Revolutions in India
Rajguru, Sukhdev, and Bhagat Singh were caught during their freedom struggle as they were found guilty of killing Saunders.
Three of the Indian revolutionaries were hanged on 23 March 1931. The Jail authorities secretly threw their ashes into the Sutlej River after cremating the bodies outside Ganda Singh Wala hamlet.
Hope now you know everything about our freedom fighter Rajguru. His History and Biography. Visit our General Knowledge Page to discover more intriguing articles about Indian History. Get in touch with the experts at Leverage Edu in order to kickstart your study abroad journey!