The inspiration for the nation’s future comes from teachers. Many kids have had the dream of becoming teachers since they were young. Are you a person who enjoys sharing knowledge? If so, becoming a teacher is the ideal career for you. Senior secondary or higher secondary students are taught by PGTs or postgraduate teachers. PGT instructors are well-known for their work in senior secondary schools. A PGT teacher has the same duties and responsibilities as a school teacher. The teaching tenet guides the post-graduation teachers’ work. Continue reading this blog article till the end to know about how to become a PGT teacher in India.
This Blog Includes:
Responsibilities of a PGT Teacher in India
Below mentioned are some of the responsibilities of a PGT teacher in India:
- Curating lesson plans under the guidance of HOD.
- Updating and developing the learning/modules for a better understanding of concepts.
- Timely correction, checking and marking of assignments.
- Obtain and select materials and supplies of textbooks and provide recommendations to students for the same.
- Maintaining records and grades of students properly.
- Providing academic assistance and support to students.
Steps to Become PGT Teacher in India
One must take specific actions in order to become a PGT teacher, such as:
- You are required to hold a diploma from a reputable institution. An honours degree is required in order to work as a PGT.
- You should have a postgraduate degree in the same subject or stream from a reputable university if you want to advance your career and find new opportunities.
- It is always advised to complete a B.Ed degree from any reputable university to make entry into this field easier. It serves as an advantage to get a better chance.
- You should pursue an M.Phil and other degrees with a similar value after earning a B.Ed or another Bachelor’s degree. You can choose a PhD to broaden the scope.
- If you have teaching experience, it will be advantageous to you as many institutions look for experienced teachers. It simplifies the PGT entry procedures.
- You must pass exams held by Higher Secondary Boards after earning your postgraduate degree. Once you have passed the test, you can apply for a PGT position at any institution.
Also Read: How to Become a Foreign Language Expert in India?
To become a PGT teacher, you must meet certain requirements and possess a set of academic credentials. The following are a few examples of academic qualifications:
- A candidate must receive a minimum grade of 60% on their 10+2 exam from any recognised board. If you haven’t passed any of the subjects, you won’t be able to take the PGT exam.
- A candidate must have a minimum GPA of 55% on their diploma.
- You must hold a postgraduate degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 50% from a reputable college or university.
- It will help you get into PGT if you have any additional subject knowledge or if you have any additional teaching-related skills, like coding, writing, etc.
List of B.Ed Colleges in India
Below mentioned is the list of B.Ed colleges in India:
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Delhi University
- Kasturi Ram College of Higher Education
Also Read: How to Become a Food Inspector in India?
PGT Teacher: Qualifying Exams
To identify qualified candidates for teaching positions, various states and organizing bodies hold PGT exams. Candidates who want to take the teaching examinations should be aware of all the recruitment announcements made by various authorities. Candidates who want to instruct students in grades 9 through 12 should pass the PGT exam. You must effectively prepare for the government teaching exams in 2023 if you want to succeed. Every year, numerous job openings and recruitments for teaching positions at various grade levels are announced. In the country, thousands of candidates pursue teaching as a career, so it’s crucial to be aware of all the teaching jobs and exams that are announced.
The Delhi Subordinate Services Selection Board administers the PGT (Delhi Subordinate Services Selection Board), a state-level recruitment exam, to choose qualified candidates for the position of Post Graduate Teacher in Delhi’s schools. Candidates must be between the ages of 21 and 36 in order to apply for the DSSSB PGT test.
On the other hand, candidates from the reserved category would be eligible to apply and would receive an age relaxation according to the board’s regulations. A Master’s degree in the relevant field and a Bachelor’s degree, or certification in training or education, in the designated subject area are requirements for all Post Graduate Teacher positions. The DSSSB eligibility of postgraduate applicants and trained-graduate candidates differs and is further distinguished by the topic they are applying for.
Skills for Becoming PGT Teacher in India
You must possess a few prerequisite skills to continue your pursuit of becoming a PGT teacher after meeting the requirements/obtaining the educational qualification to do so in India. Some abilities are necessary, such as:
- Strong communication abilities are essential. It is not always required to be fluent in English; you should be able to communicate in any other language as well. However, it is preferred to have better communication skills when interacting with students.
- It is always necessary to have a positive outlook when dealing with students if you want to become a teacher. Students come in a variety of mentalities. You ought to be able to manage them.
- Great interpersonal skills are essential.
- To be able to help students with their problems, in addition to having good communication skills, you should also have good listening skills. To solve the issues, you should also have a problem-solving strategy.
- You must have a helpful attitude towards students if you want to work in the educational sector.
Salary of PGT Teacher in India
A PGT teacher makes a decent living. After the seventh commission, a PGT teacher’s pay ranges from INR 45,000 to INR 47,000. The salary rises with time and experience. Other advantages exist, like a pension after retirement. Additionally, compared to a private institution, there will be more security if you have joined a government organization.
Also Read: How to Become a Python Developer in India: Skills, Salary, JD, Qualifications
Additional Career Options
After becoming a PGT teacher, below mentioned are the best career options available:
- School Assistant
- Primary School Teacher (PRT)
- Central Government Teachers
- Language Teachers
- Post Graduate Teacher (PGT)
A candidate must have earned a master’s degree from a recognized university with at least 50% in B.ed degree.
All candidates who want to apply for the PGT post should have a post-graduate degree with B.Ed as the minimum eligibility criterion.
Yes, definitely you can apply for PGT after pursuing BSc.
We hope this blog post has assisted you to know how to become a PGT Teacher in India. Stay tuned with Leverage Edu to discover various job opportunities in India. Connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter to get regular updates regarding careers in India.