The first notification in the morning from Facebook is often the “On This Day” feed. That single notification brings a nostalgic feeling, thousands of emotions, and this little throwback brings a smile to your faces but have you ever wondered other than those fun moments from colleges and vacation boomerangs, What are the other major events that happened on this day? Every day has its importance and is marked as a major event in history. Here are some surprising facts that occurred on May 4!
What Happened in India on May 4?
- 1336 – Vijaya Nagara Kingdom was established by Harihar I and his brother Bukka Raya I to rebel against Tughluq rule.
- 1783 – Tipu Sultan was announced as the ruler of Mysore.
- 1799 – Tipu Sultan was assaulted by the British army by the orders from General George Harris that ended the siege of Seringapatam.
- 1992 – Santosh Yadav the female Indian mountaineer conquered Mount Everest.
What Happened Around the World on May 4?
- 1493 – America was divided between Spain and Portugal by Spanish Pope Alexander VI
- 1776 – Independence from Great Britain was declared by Rhodes Island
- 1780 – American Academy of Arts and Science was founded by James Bowdoin, John, and Samuel Adams in Boston
- 1859 – Devon and Cornwall in England was linked from the inauguration of the Cornwall Railway opened across the Royal Albert Bridge.
- 1878 – At Grand Opera House Thomas Edison’s Phonograph was displayed for the first time.
- 1920 – For the first time an American orchestra performed in Paris Opera House.
- 1931 – The founding father of Turkey, author, and Turkish field marshal Mustafa Kemal Pasja became the president of Turkey
- 1942 – First Navel war between Japanese, US, and Australian navies and air forces begin, also known as Battle of Coral Sea
- 1945 – German, Norway, and Netherland forces surrender to British Marshal Bernard Montgomery.
- 1953 – Author named Ernest Hemingway won a Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Old Man and the Sea, this novel also received a noble prize for literature.
- 1954 – Atmospheric Nuclear Test was performed by the USA in Bikini Island.
- 1959 – The music award that is a dream to all musicians Grammy Awards was presented for the first time.
- 1961 – the first freedom ride by a group of black and white Americans began, this was a protest against the segregation of interstate bus travel in the South
- 1979 – Fltsatcom-2 was launched by NASA
- 1999 – The famous movie “Mummy” was released in the US starring Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, and John Hannah
- 2010 – “Nude, Green Leaves, and Bust” by the world-famous painter Pablo Picasso was sold for $106.5 million.
- 2011 – Prince Charles of Great Britains met the president of American Obama to discuss environmental issues.
Famous Birthdays on May 4
- 1989 – The famous Irish golfer Rory McIlroy was born.
- 1929 – English actress, singer, and fashion icon Audrey Hepburn was born on this date.
- 1928 – Hosni Mubarak was born on this day and was the fourth president of Egypt.
- 1938 – American politician, U.S. Secretary of Education William J. Bennett was born in New York.
- 1916 – Jane Jacobs was a famous author, journalist, and activist, his books were not based on traditional topics and more focused on urban lives.
- 1957 – Australian all-rounder cricketer Peter Sleep born in Australia on this day May 4.
- 1983 – The famous South Indian actress, Trisha Krishnan was born on this day.
This was all about the interesting and intriguing events that occurred on May 4! We hope you have had fun reading this blog! For more such entertaining and informative content, keep following us on Leverage Edu. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.