As MBA is emerging as a popular master’s degree in the field of Business, there are various entrance examinations that have been specified by universities across the globe for students seeking admission into these courses. When it comes to Indian universities, Common Aptitude Test (CAT) is an essential prerequisite that one needs to clear in order to apply for an MBA program. This national-level exam aims to test the students on varied parameters such as quantitative analysis, verbal abilities and reading comprehension as well as Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation. So, to help you prepare for this exam, we have come up with this blog that will provide you with some of the best books for CAT that can assist you in mastering every section of the test.
This Blog Includes:
Best Books for CAT Preparation
Here is a list of some of the best books for CAT preparation:
- Master Number System for the CAT and GMAT by Nishit K. Sinha
- Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency for CAT & Other MBA Exams by Gajendra Kumar and Abhishek Banerjee
- How To Prepare For Data Interpretation For CAT by Arun Sharma
- Quantitative Aptitude for All Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha
- Wren & Martin High School English Grammar and Composition
Best Books for CAT Practice
Some of the best books that will help in your CAT practice include:
- Face To Face CAT by B.S. Sijwali
- Pearson CAT Preparation Series by Nishit K. Sinha
- CAT 2020 : 30 Years’ Topic-wise & Year-wise Solved Papers 1990-2019 by Gautam Puri
- Chapter-Wise Solved Previous Years’ Papers for CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay
- Super 10 Mock Tests for CAT by Deepak Agarwal, D. P. Gupta and Dr. Rashmi Singh
This section carries the maximum weightage of the exam and since it aims to examine the mathematical aptitude of the candidates, you need to go back to the basics of this discipline. Moreover, these basic concepts range from probability, LCM and HCF, averages and number systems to algebra, time and work, simple interest, and quadratic and linear equations. Below mentioned are a few of the best books for CAT you must consider while studying the quantitative aptitude section.
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R. S. Aggarwal
- Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT 2020 by Sarvesh K. Verma
- Wiley’s ExamXpert Quantitative Ability for CAT by Ashu Jain
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Deepak Agarwal and D. P. Gupta
How To Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
This book by Arun Sharma is a must for every CAT aspirant. Candidates can ace the different areas of this field through it’s revised structure that is updated every year. They can get a hold of the type of questions that are being asked in the exam as the book is divided into easy to understand sections. How To Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma covers all the necessary quant topics along with the detailed explanations of the answers to the questions offered. The author of the book has brilliantly given out the strategies along with tips and tricks through which can help them speed up their calculations in the exam. There are some unsolved question papers as well in it so that the students can asses themselves.
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Nishit Saxena
This book covers both the basic and the advanced topics falling under the quantitative aptitude section and also provides innovative techniques to practice mental maths calculations effortlessly. It is a sure-shot mention in our list of best books for CAT because of its detailed representation of the different mathematical formulas as well as varied mock tests to assist student ace this section.
Also Read: CAT 2020 Undergoes Major Changes
Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
This section of the exam covers topics like puzzles, data arrangement, bar graphs, circular seating arrangement etc. Aiming to test the reasoning and conceptual abilities of the candidates appearing in the exam. Let’s take a look at some of the best books for CAT under the section of Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation:
- A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Koncepts of Logical Reasoning for CAT by Gajendra Kumar
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning For CAT & Other Management Entrance Tests by Peeyush Bhardwaj
A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by R.S. Agarwal
For those who have just begun their preparation and are looking for best books for CAT, R.S. Agarwal has formulated this book to help them revise their basics of logical reasoning. A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning is bifurcated into several sub-sections that comprise of different logical and data problems ranging from number series to circular seating arrangments as well as data interpretation.
How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
Arun Sharma’s How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma is amongst the most popular and best books for CAT. It provides efficient tips and strategies that can be utilised to simplify reasoning problems thus deducing their calculations easily. The book also comprises of previous year’s question papers and model test papers for CAT to aid students in facilitating effective time management by taking regular mock tests.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
This section of the CAT exam is divided into two parts. The reading comprehension tests the inference and the reading abilities of the students while the verbal ability section examines their grammatical knowledge. Below mentioned are the best books that you can check out for studying the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section.
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhayay
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
- Verbal Ability & Comprehension for CAT/ XAT/ IIFT by Bharat Patodi and Aditya Choudhary
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- CAT 2020 : Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension by Gautam Puri
High School Grammar and Composition by Wren and Martin
Written by Wren and Martin, this book compiles the essential basics of English grammar and comprehension. The Verbal Ability section requires special attention as the questions falling under this section have no set pattern. Featuring at the top of our list of best books for CAT for the verbal section, High School Grammar and Composition by Wren and Martin covers the different type of passage as well as grammar-related questions. Further, there is an extensive chapter on vocabulary as well as helpful tricks to learn new words and their meanings.
How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
When it comes to mastering the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section, this book by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay is amongst one of the best books for CAT. From including the fundamental concepts of English Grammar to a wide range of mock tests, this book covers almost every aspect of the syllabus for the verbal ability section.
Also Read: MBA Colleges Through CAT Score
Thus, after finding the best books for CAT, your preparation only begins from here. Gearing up for a competitive exam, every aspirant needs constant encouragement and mentorship. Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll equip you with the right preparation strategies and mentorship thus to ensure that you ace your exam with flying colors.