Study in USA: International Graduates Navigate Various Paths to Secure Jobs and Residency

2 minute read
Study in USA: International Graduates Navigate Various Paths to Secure Jobs and Residency

Upon graduation, a significant number of students choose to stay in the US, contributing to the nation’s growth. Leveraging their F-1 visa, these graduates explore multiple avenues to secure jobs and, in some cases, permanent residency.


6 Pathways to Post-Graduation Employment

International students eager to embark on their career journeys post-graduation can explore several strategies for securing employment and, potentially, residency within the US. These options include:

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Program

The Optional Practical Training (OPT) program offers recent international graduates the opportunity to work in the US for up to 12 months. STEM field graduates might be eligible for a 24-month extension. The application process for the OPT program demands early action due to limited spots available.

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa route enables graduates with sponsorships from US-based companies to work in the country for six years after completing their studies. The application necessitates demonstrating specific skills relevant to the sponsoring company’s needs. Moreover, transitioning to employment-based permanent residency is a possibility.

Green Card Aspirations

Many international students aspire to secure a green card, which grants permanent residency in the US. Compared to other pathways, the green card offers unparalleled freedom, allowing holders to work and live without restrictions. This process can be arduous and time-consuming, often requiring employer sponsorship.

Study in USA: International Graduates Navigate Various Paths to Secure Jobs and Residency

Family Sponsorship and Marriage

For those with family members in the US, avenues for sponsorship through relatives exist. Spouses, children over 21, parents, and siblings can potentially facilitate this path. Moreover, marriage to a US citizen can pave the way for visa or residency applications, though stringent verification of the marriage’s authenticity is essential.

Accelerated Route: Military Service

International students who have completed two years of study in the US may qualify for military service. Roles in areas such as the medical field or interpretation can be pursued. While not a direct route to a green card, military service can expedite the residency process, enabling students to bypass the typical five-year residency requirement.

In conclusion, international students pursuing education and opportunities in the US have a range of avenues to pursue post-graduation employment and, in some instances, secure permanent residency. Each pathway comes with its own set of requirements and challenges, but these options collectively contribute to the vibrant international workforce and the country’s growth.

Follow Leverage Edu for news updates.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *