The USA is referred to be the “land of opportunities.” In order to realise their American Dreams, which are viewed as attainable no matter where or in what class a person was born, many people wish to immigrate to the United States. Getting a PR in the USA is not impossible, but it also is not a piece of cake either. For many immigrants, obtaining a Permanent Residence (Green Card) in the US fulfils a lifelong goal because it allows them to stay and work permanently in the country. It is possible to obtain your PR in the USA; all you need is adequate planning and preparation.
This Blog Includes:
How Does the PR Process Work in the USA?
The United States immigration laws are founded on a few fundamental ideals, including welcoming those who can contribute significant skills to the nation, reuniting families, protecting refugees, and fostering cultural diversity.
You must submit your application exactly as discussed below, with all the supporting documentation. Make sure USCIS can handle processing your application.
The number of individuals who can be granted a green card each year is capped under U.S. immigration law in many (but not all) eligible categories. Because of this, the amount of time applicants must wait just to proceed with their application might be anywhere from nothing to 20 years or longer. It would not be ideal if, for instance, your sole option was applying as the brother or sister of a U.S. citizen. You might not have a choice as to how you can fit yourself into a green-card qualifying category, but it would not be ideal either. If we talk about the waiting time for PR in the USA is the longest of any visa category.
Steps to Get PR in the USA
Many international students are now figuring out how to become permanent residents in the USA, where they can continue to live and work without any issues. Although there are numerous ways to obtain US green cards, applicants must first meet certain requirements in order to be eligible. So, keep reading to learn more about the qualifications, paperwork, and procedures for obtaining permanent residency in the USA from India. Here, we’ll quickly go over all the crucial points.
In order to apply for PR in the USA one way is to check out the preference system. There are 4 preferences which are listed below:
- Family First Preference (F1) – This is the first preference for applying for PR in the USA. Sons and daughters of US citizens who are not married.
- Family Second Preference (F2) – Spouses, children of permanent residents (category 2A), and unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents who are at least 21 years old are given family second preference (F2) (category 2B).
- Family’s Third Preference (F3) – Married children of US citizens are the family’s third preference (F3).
- Family Fourth Preference (F4) – Adult U.S. citizens’ siblings and brothers.
- In terms of family-based immigration, being a spouse, unmarried child under 21, or parent of a U.S. citizen over 21 years of age is the quickest method to qualify. These are all regarded as “immediate relatives,” who can apply for immigrant visas right away without waiting or having to meet any annual requirements.
Other Options to Get a PR in the USA
Students who are interested in obtaining Permanent Residency in the United States after completing their studies can look for
- Employee Sponsorship
- Apply for Asylum,
- Marry an American Citizen,
- Obtain Sponsorship from a Relative who owns a Business
- Serve in the Military to obtain Child or Parent Sponsorship
Eligibility Criteria for PR in the USA
Applicants must choose one of the options that allow them to stay in order to move forward with the USA PR application process. You can, among other things, obtain sponsorship, a petition from your employer, or a spouse who is a US citizen. There are, nevertheless, some common eligibility conditions. These are listed below:
- You have spent at least five years residing in the United States. If you are the spouse of a US citizen, it is three.
- Be morally upright and healthy.
- Knowledge of US history and governance.
- Able to read, write, and speak English.
- Residing for at least three months in the USIC district or state before applying.
Steps to Apply for PR in the USA
When you are certain that you are qualified for PR in the USA, do the following actions:
- Step 1: Submit form I-485. This document serves as an application for US permanent residency.
- Step 2: The official department will then update you about the required documents and fees that you have to submit.
- Step 3: USCIS will schedule an appointment to review your application. They will check your paperwork and interview you face-to-face.
- Step 4: A green card will be issued to you after approval. Keep in mind that it will only be valid for ten years before needing to be renewed.
Documents Required for PR Process
When applying for US PR, be sure to bring the following documents with you:
- 2 photographs the size of a passport
- Duplicate birth certificate
- A photocopy of your passport and non-immigrant visa
- Evidence that you have never been arrested
- Record of a medical examination
- Form I-485 or an affidavit of support Biography information sheet
Getting PR in the USA is a time taking process hope this blog post has helped you get the required information about how to get PR in the USA. Contact our Leverage Edu experts for study abroad programmes. Call us immediately at 1800572000 for a 30-minute free counselling session.