The largest and the capital city of Northern Ireland, Belfast, stands on the banks of the River Lagan on the east coast. Besides stunning views, the city also has a strong educational level, with world-renowned universities delivering high-quality instruction. If you are thinking about pursuing a sign language course, then Belfast can be an ideal place to do so. Sign languages utilise the visual-manual modality to convey meaning, instead of spoken words. These languages help one to communicate with the specially-abled people. Sign languages are expressed via manual articulation combined with non-manual markers. Keep reading this blog to learn about the sign language courses in Belfast. Below we have provided the top sign language programs offered in the city.
This Blog Includes:
British Sign Language (BSL) Course at QLS Level 1 & 2
Offered by the Lead Academy, the British Sign Language (BSL) Course at QLS Level 1 & 2 has been approved by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programs. This makes it one of the best sign language courses in Belfast
By the completion of the course, you will have learned:
- Develop your productive and receptive abilities, as well as your understanding of topics such as daily conversations, time and months of the year, numbers, travel and holidays, eating and drinking, shopping, and so on.
- Learn to sign the British Sign Language alphabet and spell names.
- Learn the grammatical structure and characteristics of British Sign Language.
- Capability to communicate by appropriate hand, body, and head movements
- Develop your BSL vocabulary by learning about food, family, animals, colours, clothing, and weather.
- Learn the skills and knowledge needed to participate in a short BSL discussion.
- Ability to sign important home and leisure themes, as well as day-to-day components such as opinions, time, directions, and transportation.
|Course||British Sign Language (BSL) Course at QLS Level 1 & 2|
|Offered By||Lead Academy|
Learn American Sign Language (ASL) Online – Level 1
The Learn American Sign Language (ASL) Online – Level 1 is being offered by the Cudoo, an e-learning platform.
During this online ASL course, you will understand the basics of ASL. The topics included in the course are as follows:
- Easy Signs: Driving a car, swimming, eating, food, gender,
- Sign Language Alphabet (Manual Alphabet): Learn an alternative to the English alphabet, this language has a sign for every letter in the alphabet,
- Numbers: 1-100,
- Time of Day: Phrases such as “good morning”, time basics and placing yourself in the past or future,
- Pronouns: Personal – Possessive and reflexive,
- Family Members: Immediate & extended family, friendship, and manners,
- Initialized Signs: Signs signed using the first letter of the word, and
- Occupations: teachers, hairdressers, lawyers, chefs, etc.
This amazing curriculum makes it one of the best sign language courses in Belfast.
|Course||Learn American Sign Language (ASL) Online – Level 1|
Learn & Master Sign Language
Learn & learn Sign Language course on Udemy will teach you everything you need to know to learn the lovely language of American Sign Language. Dr Byron Bridges and Stacey Webb, professional instructors, have prepared each engaging class to provide you with a firm foundation in the fundamentals and advanced signing. Each chapter includes basic lessons, quizzes with and without answers, a vocabulary video index for each word taught in the lesson, fingerspelling practice at three different speeds, a section on varying numbers in each lesson, book activities, narrative practice, dialogue practice, and highlights and tips about deaf culture. This program teaches you the sign language in full detail. It is surely among the best sign language courses in Belfast.
|Course||Learn & Master Sign Language|
Basics of British Sign Language
The Irish online education platform, Alison, is offering the Basics of British Sign Language course. This one of the best sign language courses in Belfast will introduce you to the fundamentals of British Sign Language. You will learn how to sign colors, animals, household items, months of the year, days of the week, and verbs. You will also be shown how to put the words you have studied together for communication purposes. Begin this British Sign Language course to converse with deaf individuals in everyday situations.
|Course||Basics of British Sign Language|
Also Read: Short-term Courses in Finance – 2023 List
ASL Level 1 (The Alphabet, American Sign Language)
The ASL Level 1 (The Alphabet, American Sign Language) course is available on Skillshare.
This is what the curriculum of this course looks like:
- Students will learn each letter slowly to ensure comprehension.
- Students will examine all of the ABCs from various angles to ensure accurate palm and finger positioning.
- Students will engage in a variety of exercises and activities designed to increase their speed and fluency with the ASL alphabet.
- Students will begin to acquire basic fingerspelling abilities as well as signing numerous letters at once.
- Students will be tested on their abilities to sign, recognize, and comprehend all ASL letters.
Make sure you check out this one of the best sign language courses in Belfast.
|Course||ASL Level 1 (The Alphabet, American Sign Language)|
Ans. Yes, learning British Sign Language enables you to communicate with deaf people around you, such as deaf family members, colleagues, or friends. This will enhance your communication skills.
Ans. The French Sign Language is similar to ASL as ASL has originated from it. However, there are minor differences between these languages.
Ans. Learning the basics of ASL can take you just about 60 to 90 hours.
So, this was all about the sign language courses in Belfast. Many Indian students dream of pursuing education in foreign nations due to the exposure and career growth they offer. Consider joining a free counselling session with Leverage Edu if you plan to study abroad.