MBBS is one of the most sought-after degrees in India, and the number of students pursuing MBBS abroad is on the rise. There are several reasons for this trend, including the limited number of seats in government medical colleges in India, the high competition for these seats, and the relatively affordable cost of medical education in many foreign countries. However, you must know that each country has its checkpoints that a student must recognise. Let us find out why are more and more students opting for a medical degree abroad and what are these checkpoints all about!
This Blog Includes:
Reasons for Pursuing MBBS Abroad
There are only about 80,000 government medical college seats in India, while the number of eligible candidates is over 16 million. This means that the competition for government medical college seats is extremely high. Many students who are unable to secure a seat in a government medical college in India may choose to pursue MBBS or a medical degree abroad.
The high competition for government medical college seats in India is due to a number of factors, including the high prestige associated with the medical profession, the job security that comes with a medical degree, and the relatively high salaries that doctors earn in India.
The cost of medical education in many foreign countries is relatively affordable, especially compared to the cost of private medical colleges in India. For example, the average tuition fee for MBBS in Ukraine is around $5,000 per year, while the average tuition fee for MBBS in a private medical college in India is around $15,000 per year.
Checkpoints for Choosing a Foreign MBBS College
When choosing a MBBS college for a medical degree abroad, it is important to consider the following checkpoints:
- Accreditation: Make sure that the college is accredited by the medical council of the country in which it is located, as well as by the medical council of India.
- Curriculum: Make sure that the college’s curriculum is comprehensive and includes mandatory hands-on training and internship in a reputed hospital.
- Cost: Make sure that the college’s tuition fees and living expenses are within your budget.
- Culture: Make sure that you are able to adapt to the culture of the country in which the college is located.
- Safety: Make sure that the country is relatively safe from foreign political interference, ongoing conflicts, civil unrest, or other political tensions.
Must Read: MBBS in USA: Everything You Need To Know!
Benefits of Studying MBBS Abroad
Below we have stated some of the benefits of pursuing a medical degree abroad:
- World-class medical education: Study at renowned medical schools with state-of-the-art facilities and experienced faculty.
- International exposure: Gain global perspective and cultural sensitivity by studying among students from all over the world.
- Increased job opportunities: Earn a degree that is recognized worldwide and open doors to exciting career prospects.
- Affordable tuition fees: Save money on tuition costs compared to private medical colleges in India.
- No donation or capitation fees: Avoid high upfront payments and study at your own pace.
Challenges of Studying Medical Degree Abroad
Here are some of the challenges faced by students studying MBBS abroad:
- Language barrier: Students who are not fluent in the language of the country in which they are studying may face some challenges.
- Cultural differences: Students may need to adjust to the cultural differences between their home country and the country in which they are studying.
- Distance from home: Studying MBBS abroad can be a lonely experience for some students, as they may be away from their family and friends for a long time.
Must Read:How to Study MBBS in Australia?
Tips for Students who are Considering Pursuing a Medical Degree Abroad
- Do your research: Before choosing a foreign MBBS college, make sure to do your research and compare different colleges.
- Consider your budget: Make sure that you have a clear understanding of the tuition fees and living expenses involved in studying MBBS abroad.
- Learn the language: If possible, try to learn the language of the country in which you will be studying before you go.
- Be prepared for cultural differences: Be prepared to adjust to the cultural differences between your home country and the country in which you will be studying.
The surge in the number of students pursuing MBBS abroad is a reflection of the many benefits that studying MBBS abroad has to offer. Students who are unable to secure a seat in a government medical college in India, or who are looking for a more affordable and world-class medical education, may choose to pursue MBBS abroad. However, it is important to carefully consider all of the factors involved before making a decision.
Yes, you can get a job in India after completing your MBBS abroad. You will need to pass the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) in order to be eligible to practice medicine in India. The FMGE is a screening test conducted by the National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences (NBEMS) to assess the competence of foreign medical graduates.
The cost of MBBS abroad varies depending on the country and the medical school. However, it is generally more affordable than studying MBBS in a private medical college in India. For example, the average tuition fee for MBBS in Ukraine is around $5,000 per year, while the average tuition fee for MBBS in a private medical college in India is around $15,000 per year.
Some of the most popular countries for MBBS abroad include: Ukraine, Russia, China, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Philippines etc. These countries offer world-class medical education at an affordable cost. They also have a large number of medical schools that are accredited by the MCI.
Hope now you understand all the checkpoints that you must know for a medical degree abroad. Utilize our AI tools or join a complimentary 30-minute career advisory session with Leverage Edu experts to choose the ideal university that suits your unique preferences, enabling you to embark on a fulfilling professional journey confidently!