Discussing mental health used to be taboo. Not anymore. With the emergence of awareness around mental health, including discourses on its importance, mental health courses have increasingly grown in relevance and demand.
Though there has always been a need for mental health professionals, with its prevalent nature in recent times, students are now better able to visualise it as a career path that they may want to pursue.
Keeping the same in mind, we have written this blog, that presents insights on mental health courses; their respective universities, career scope and salary prospects. Keep reading to know more.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Mental Health Courses?
- Top Universities for Masters in Mental Health
- Top Masters in Mental Health Courses in 2023
- Masters in Mental Health: Admission Requirements
- Masters in Mental Health: Core Areas of Study
- Masters in Mental Health: Job Positions and Salary Prospects
- Masters in Mental Health: Top Recruiters
Why Study Mental Health Courses?
As mentioned, education around mental health is on a rise given its increased relevance. Well, read the pointers below to get a better idea of why one must study mental health courses.
- Advancement in the Mental Health Industry: When technology meets mental health needs, applications and softwares surrounding the wellness and well-being of a human being are taken care of. So, for example, in case you need to connect to a mental health professional, technology plays a part in that. With this technological advancement in the mental health industry, the scope of jobs is higher than before.
- Contributions on a Professional and Personal Level: Working in the mental health industry and studying master’s in mental health for it is a deeply rewarding path. When you step foot as a professional caregiver, you grow not just as a person in a career field but also as a person on a human-to-human connecting level.
- Learnings on Research Methodology: Once you decide to pursue a Master in Mental Health course, and enrol in it, you eventually learn about research methodologies, which are at the heart of mental health knowledgable breakouts. To truly understand the subject and add academic perspectives to the domain is an opportunity you get while studying Master’s in Mental Health.
Top Universities for Masters in Mental Health
What are the educational institutions where you can take admitted to study masters in mental health? Below are some of the best universities to study for a master’s in mental health, along with their rankings.
|Name of University||QS World University Rankings 2023|
|Kings College London||37|
|Harvard Medical School||–|
|University College London||8|
|University of Toronto||34|
|Johns Hopkins University||24|
|University of Pennsylvania||13|
Top Masters in Mental Health Courses in 2023
We have further tabulated below some of the top masters in mental health courses, which are most favourable for 2023.
|Name of Course||Name of University||Duration of Course||Tuition Fee|
|M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling||Northeastern Illinois University, USA||2 – 4 years||USD 24,731 / semester (INR 20 lakh)|
|MHS in Mental Health||Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of
Public Health, USA
|1 year||USD 59,184 / year (INR 48 lakh)|
|Master of science in mental health and psychotherapy||SRH Hochschule für Gesundheit Gera,
|MSc Psychology of
|St Mary’s University Twickenham, London||1 year||GBP 9,620 / year (INR 9.5 lakh)|
|MSc in Mental Health Nursing||Kingston University, UK||2 years||GBP 9,250 / year (INR 9.2 lakh)|
Masters in Mental Health: Admission Requirements
Now that we have covered the top educational Masters in Mental Health courses, along with the top institutions, let’s go through the basic admission criteria for the same.
The basic eligibility criteria are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in mental health, or a relevant field; with a year of work experience in the field
- A bachelor’s degree in any field; with 2 years of work experience in the mental health field
- Meet English Language Proficiency Requirements according to the university
You can make the complicated admission process easy by reaching out to Leverage Edu:
- We will help you select your course through our trusted AI Course Finder.
- Experts at Leverage Edu will then start with your application process at the respective university.
- Documents such as SOPs, Essays, LORs and IELTS, TOEFL etc. are an important part of your university application. So you’ll have to gather and compile all the necessary documents.
- Experts at Leverage Edu will then start with the application process for accommodation, student visas, and scholarships/student loans after submitting your application and the required documents.
- The time has come to wait for your offer letter which usually takes around 4-6 weeks.
These are the documents required for your application to study abroad:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Student Visa
Masters in Mental Health: Core Areas of Study
Though the course curriculum and program structure vary from university to university, the following are the core areas of study under Masters in Mental Health.
- Foundations of mental health and wellbeing
- Principles of prescribing
- Knowledge and skills for professional practice
- Research and development in care for older people
- Contemporary issues in mental health
- Understanding addiction
- Mental health in children and young people
- Psychological interventions
Masters in Mental Health: Job Positions and Salary Prospects
Some of the top-paying job positions, along with their salaries, are mentioned below.
|Job Position||Median Salary|
|Psychiatrist||$245,000 per year (INR 2 Cr.)|
|Counselling Psychologist||$73,200 per year (INR 59-60 Lakh)|
|Clinical Psychologist||$73,200 per year (INR 59-60 Lakh)|
|Clinical Social Worker||$60,200 per year (INR 49 Lakh)|
|School Counselor||$54,500 (INR 44-45 Lakh)|
Masters in Mental Health: Top Recruiters
Let’s now look at the top recruiters of students having completed masters in mental health, along with work experience, below.
- Mental Health Clinics
- Prisons and Correctional facilities
- Colleges and Universities
- Government agencies
- Corporate Offices
A masters degree in mental health with a focus on psychology is one of the best for a mental health career.
Yes, an MA in psychology is certainly worth it.
Those who pursue a masters in mental health can surely land in the field of education, postgraduate doctoral training, and/or private mental health practice.
This was all about Masters in Mental Health . If you want to get into a high-ranked university, you may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.