BTech Chemical Engineering is a popular and rewarding career choice for many students who are interested in the field of science and technology. It is a four-year undergraduate degree program that covers the principles and applications of chemistry, physics, mathematics, biology, and engineering to design, operate, and optimize processes that convert raw materials into useful products. In this blog post, we will discuss the various aspects of BTech Chemical Engineering, such as salary, jobs, subjects, eligibility, colleges, fees, and more. Read on to know more!
This Blog Includes:
- What is BTech Chemical Engineering?
- BTech Chemical Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
- Admission Process
- Entrance Exams for BTech Chemical Engineering
- BTech Chemical Engineering Syllabus
- Fee Structure
- Career Scope
- Jobs and Salary
- Top Colleges for BTech Chemical Engineering
What is BTech Chemical Engineering?
BTech Chemical Engineering is a four-year-long undergraduate degree program in engineering studies that involves principles of chemistry, mathematics, biology, physics, and economics for the process of converting chemicals and raw components into their more useful and valuable forms. The learnings are aimed at designing processes to develop or create new products or improve the existing ones. This program provides students with a deeper understanding of how development and operations are carried out in the chemical industry.
|Course Name||BTech Chemical Engineering|
|Course Duration||4 years|
|Examination Type||Semester Exams|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with Science stream including Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology
Clear the entrance exam specified by the university
|Average Salary||INR 8 Lakh|
|Average Fees||INR 50,000 – 2 Lakh|
BTech Chemical Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for students to enrol on the BTech Chemical Engineering course can vary for every institute. But here are some general criteria that they need to fulfil to be eligible for the professional degree:
- The candidate is required to complete their 10+2 level of education with Science stream including subjects like Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, and Biology.
- The candidate is required to score a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
- The candidate must qualify for the university-specified entrance examination.
- To pursue this course abroad, the candidate would be required to submit their English language proficiency test score like IELTS.
Make a Career in Chemistry
To get admission to the BTech Chemical Engineering course, you need to follow a few steps that are essential for the process:
- Appear for an entrance exam that determines your eligibility and rank for the course.
- The exam is conducted by JOSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority), which also releases a merit list and a cut-off list based on the exam scores.
- Participate in the seat allocation and counselling process, which is also handled by JOSAA.
- You will be allotted a seat according to your JEE Main All India Rank (AIR). You should also check the age limit for the exam, which may change every year.
The following are the steps to apply for the course:
- Select the university where you wish to study this course
- Before applying the candidate must check the eligibility criteria
- To register for the application, the candidates should visit the official website
- The candidate must complete the registration process by providing the required information to obtain the login credentials
- The candidate will be sent a link to verify their profile
- Next, use the login credential to log in to the application portal
- Click on the “apply for starting the application”
- Fill out all the required information accurately and click on the “save” button to save all the details
- Finally, submit the application form, all applications are approved through email and provided with an online receipt
Entrance Exams for BTech Chemical Engineering
The following are the popular engineering entrance exams that students are required to take:
- JEE Mains
- JEE Advanced
- BITSAT – Birla Institute of Technolgy and Science
- VITEEE – Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam
- SRMJEEE – SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam
Want to study abroad but are worried about expenses? Let Fly Finance help you.
BTech Chemical Engineering Syllabus
The syllabus for the BTech Chemical Engineering course can vary for each university. Given below is a general outline of the topics that students can expect to cover in each semester of the four-year degree:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Environmental Studies I||Essentials of Biology|
|Chemical Principles||Engineering Mechanics|
|Introduction to Physics I||Mathematical Methods II|
|Mathematical Methods I||Introduction to Physics II|
|Manufacturing Processes||Introduction to Computing and Programming|
|Descriptive Engg. Drawing|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Fluid Mechanics||Mechanical Operations|
|Material and Energy Balance||Heat Transfer|
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||Industrial and Engineering Chemistry|
|Material Science and Engineering||Chemical Reaction Engineering I|
|Mathematical Methods III||Major Elective – Numerical Methods|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Process Dynamics and Control||Mass Transfer II|
|Chemical Reaction Engineering II||Transport Phenomenon|
|Mss Transfer I||Chemical Technology|
|Chemical Engineering Laboratory I||Process Equipment Design|
|Major Elective Computational Fluid Mechanics||Major Elective – Modelling and Simulation of Chemical Engineering Systems|
|Chemical Engineering Laboratory II|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Chemical Process Safety||Major Project|
|Chemical Engineering Laboratory III|
|Major Elective – Process Engineering|
A government engineering college will charge you around Rs. 6 lakhs for a BTech Chemical Engineering degree. The university you choose will affect how much you have to pay for pursuing a course in the said discipline. So, you should consider the fee structure of your desired college before applying.
Know All About MSc Chemistry
Chemical engineers are in high demand, and the scope of the course is expanding as more applicants express interest in pursuing it because it allows students to experiment with novel materials. Chemical engineering is an excellent degree for those who want to work in chemical applications. It is one of India’s oldest branches, and it provides employment opportunities in the commercial, public, and government sectors. This course offers professional opportunities, and the breadth of the course is expanding, creating job opportunities in the sector.
- Aditya Birla Chemicals
- Ashok Leyland
- Essar Oils
Jobs and Salary
The following are the popular job profiles after pursuing BTech Chemical Engineering:
|Chemical Engineer||INR 8 Lakh|
|Quality Assurance Manager||INR 10 Lakh|
|Energy Manager||INR 6-8 Lakh|
|Product Development Manager||INR 10 Lakh|
|Site Engineer||INR 3-5 Lakh|
Top Colleges for BTech Chemical Engineering
There are several colleges that offer a degree in BTech Chemical Engineering both in India and abroad. Here’s a list of top colleges in India and around the world that offer the course, along with their rankings/fees:
|NIIT University||Rs. 3,25,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay||Rs. 9,08,400|
|UPES Dehradun||Rs. 10,98,000|
|Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT), Manipal||Rs. 1,616,000|
|SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai||Rs. 1,000,000|
|Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Tamil Nadu||Rs. 6,92,000|
|RV College of Engineering, Bangalore||Rs. 3,34,100|
|University||QS World Ranking 2023|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1|
|University of British Columbia||47|
|University of Toronto||34|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||88|
|The University of Texas at Austin||72|
|University of Alberta||110|
|University of Michigan||25|
|the National University of Singapore||11|
Check Out the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam 2023
BTech Chemical Engineering is a four-year-long undergraduate degree program in engineering studies that involves principles of chemistry, mathematics, biology, physics and economics for the process of converting chemicals and raw components into their more useful and valuable forms.
The following are the skills required to pursue chemical engineering:
1. Analytical skills
2. Problem-solving skills
3. Management skills
4. Mathematical skills
The following are the top institutes for chemical engineering:
1. University of British Columbia
2. University of Toronto
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
So, we hope that this blog has provided you with relevant information on BTech Chemical Engineering. And if you wish to study abroad, contact Leverage Edu for full assistance. You can also call us at 1800572000 and book a free session today!