LLM (Master of Law) in USA is available in several specialized fields such as social justice, commercial law, taxation, human rights, and environmental law, among others. The duration of the course is generally between 9 months to 2 years. However, studying this course in the USA can be expensive. For this reason, scholarships are extremely useful. International scholarships cover expenses such as full/partial tuition fees, travel expenses, and accommodation expenses, among others. Keep reading to learn more about LLM scholarships in USA.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study LLM in USA?
There are plenty of reasons why a student should opt for an LLM in USA. These are as follows:
- The USA has some of the best law schools in the world. In the USA the legal studies teaching helps students to improve the argumentative dialogue among students.
- From 2000-2020 the lawyer’s salary increased faster than the rate of inflation. That is, the salary of a lawyer increased to 63% and the rate of inflation was approximately 53%.
- US legal firms’ entry-level salaries range between 58,000 USD and 70,000 USD.
- US Universities offer students the opportunity to work on pro bono cases due to an increase in requirements in the legal profession
Also Read: Top Universities in USA
Types of LLM Scholarships in USA
Basically, there are 3 types of LLM scholarships in USA that international students can apply for. These are as follows. Do note that each scholarship has a different application process, eligibility criteria, benefits, and deadline.
- Need-based scholarships granted on the basis of financial need
- Merit-based scholarships are granted on the basis of the merit of the student
- Merit cum need-based scholarships are granted to meritorious students on the basis of financial need.
Top 5 LLM Scholarships in USA
Here is a list of the top LLM scholarships in the USA offered by the government and other organizations. Like all scholarships, each of these scholarships has different eligibility criteria, benefits, and deadlines.
|Scholarship Name||Meant for||Benefit|
|Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship||Those wanting to pursue International legal studies, etc||J-1 visa support, round-trip economy class plane travel from the fellow’s home city to the host institution in the United States, financing for tuition and fees, housing and associated costs, and accident and illness coverage|
|New York University (NYU) Scholarships||Freshman students||Full/partial tuition fees|
|Columbia Law School (CLS) scholarships||For LLM students||Full/ partial tuition fees|
|UCLA Law Distinguished Scholars Program||Meritorious students||Covers full tuition fees|
|Hauser Global Scholars Program||10 best students applying for LLM||Tuition fees/living stipend|
Also Read: LLM Courses
6 LLM Scholarships in USA for Indians
There are several scholarships available for Indians. These scholarships can be used to study LLM in USA. Some of these popular scholarships and their benefits are provided below.
|Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship||up to INR 2 million|
|Aditya Birla Scholarships||INR 1,80,000 per year|
|Education Grants offered by Tata Trusts||INR 10 lakh|
|National Law School of India Bangalore LL.M. Scholarship Award||INR 24.98 lakh|
|The Kapila & Nirmal Hingorani Postgraduate Scholarships||Full tuition fee waiver|
|R.D. Sethna Loan Scholarships||Loan scholarships|
LLM Scholarships in USA (For Indians) Available to Specific Categories
Indian scholarships are available for students to study LLM in the USA. However, the scholarships listed below are only meant for students from specific categories. Those who come under the category and meet the eligibility requirements are only eligible for the scholarship.
|Vishwa Konkani Study Abroad Scholarship||Students who have Konkani as their 1st language||INR 1 lakh per student every year|
|National Overseas Scholarship for SCs||Low income SC student||Not specified|
|Merit-Cum-Means based Scholarship for Professional and Technical Courses for Minority students||Minority students||INR 10,000-INR 20,000 per annum towards tuition fees|
|Government of Andhra Pradesh’s NTR Videshi Vidyadharana for BC & SC/ST Students||SC/ST||INR 15 lakh|
|Interest Subsidy on Educational Loan for Overseas Studies for OBCs||OBCs||Not specified|
Application Process for LLM Scholarships in USA
The application process for LLM Scholarships in USA is as follows :
- Visit the official website of the scholarship provider
- Choose the course you want to take, make sure it meets the requirements, then submit an application.
- A student ID will be given once the student fills out the application. The same can be used by the student to apply for that program’s scholarship.
- Visit the university website for information on undergraduate and graduate scholarships to apply for the award.
- Verify the student’s eligibility and submit an application for the scholars’ program.
Yes. It is possible to get a scholarship to study in USA. Several law schools offer scholarships for International students. The government also provides scholarships for students to study in the US. For example, the Fulbright Nehru Scholarship.
Some of the best countries for LLM with scholarships are: USA, Canada, UK, and Australia. Interested students can check out scholarships available in these countries.
Yes. It is possible to pursue LLM in USA after pursuing an LLB in India. However, students must meet the eligibility requirements of the selected universities.
To discover more articles like this one, consult the study abroad experts at Leverage Edu.