While planning higher studies abroad, the USA is one of the finest places to pursue higher education. This is because of multiple reasons. The primary one is the top notch education and world class exposure that it provides. USA is home to multicultural beliefs, thus making it easier for international students to adapt with the environment. Yes, it’s true there are too many added advantages of studying in USA but at the same time it is also considered to be one of the most expensive destinations for pursuing higher studies. Law has become one of the top choices among students. And it goes without saying that the USA would be one of the top choices for students who plan to study law. In this blog, we shall discuss how to Study Law in USA.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Law in the USA?
- Eligibility to Study Law in the USA
- Year-Wise Course Division
- Law Degrees Offered in USA
- Top Law Specialization in USA
- Best Law Schools in the USA
- Study Law in USA: Scholarships Offered
- Career and Salary
Why Study Law in the USA?
Well, the first question that might bother any student planning to study law in the USA is why to choose the USA. To begin with, let’s mention the numerous career opportunities after completing law studies in the USA. Secondly, the legal system of the USA is equally transparent and challenging. Thus, giving students the opportunity to enhance their skills. And most importantly, law undoubtedly is one of the noblest professions and studying law in the USA would give students an additional opportunity to build a well-established career for themselves.
Eligibility to Study Law in the USA
While choosing a law school for studying law in the USA, students must be aware of the eligibility criteria and only those students who meet the eligibility criteria are considered eligible for admission. The eligibility criteria for studying law in the USA are given below –
Year-Wise Course Division
For studying law in the USA, aspirants must also be aware of how the curriculum has been divided over the tenure of the course:
- The first year includes legal writing, contracts, torts, criminal law, and constitutional law, among other courses.
- The second year includes Law Review, Moot Court, and other extracurricular activities that offer a lot of practice. In the 2nd year, students must start looking for internships.
- In the third year, the course covers international law, immigration law, antitrust law, or intellectual Property Law. By the third year, students are expected to choose an area in which they wish to specialise. They can choose from :
So, this was the three-year syllabus division for those planning to pursue law in the USA.
Law Degrees Offered in USA
USA law school offers a number of degrees to students who wish to pursue law. We have listed the degrees offered by USA law school below –
- Juris Doctor J.D.-
- Three-year programme
- Students can practise law in the USA
- Master of Laws (LLM)-
- The one-year program offered to students who have a JD or equivalent degree
- Enables students to specialize in a given area
- Master’s Degree-
- Include degrees such as Master of Legal Studies (MLS), Master of Studies in Law etc.
- Doctor of Juridical Science J.S.D./ S.J.D.-
- The highest law degree offered in the USA can be completed in three years of full-time study.
- PhD in Law–
- A three-year program
- Does not require a JD degree.
- Legal Certificate-
- Can be completed in three months online.
Top Law Specialization in USA
Following are the top law specialization in the USA:
|Law School||Areas of Study|
|Harvard Law School||Law & Business; Law, Science & Technology; Criminal Justice; International & Comparative Law; Law & Government; Law & History; Law & Social Change|
|Yale Law School||Administrative; Constitutional; Corporate & Commercial; Criminal Justice; Environmental; Human Rights; International; IT & Media; Law & Health; Public Interest|
|Stanford Law School||Environmental Law & Policy; International Economic Law, Business & Policy; Law, Science & Technology; Corporate Governance & Practice|
|UC Berkeley School of Law||Social Justice/ Public Interest; Business & Start-ups; Tech/IP/Privacy; Environment + Energy; Criminal Justice; Constitutional/ Regulatory; International + Comparative|
|Columbia Law School||Gender & Sexuality, Human Rights; Environment; Criminal Law; International & Comparative Law, etc.|
|NYU School of Law||Taxation; International Law; Human Rights; Immigration Law; Criminal Law & Administration; Environmental & Energy, etc.|
Best Law Schools in the USA
The USA has a number of law schools offering promising courses in Law. We have listed some of the top law schools in the USA.
|US News 2022 Ranking||University|
|5||University of Chicago|
|6||New York University|
|7||University of Pennsylvania|
|8||University of Virginia|
|9||University of California,Berkeley|
Law Colleges in USA Offering Juris Doctor (J.D.)
|University Name||Annual Fee (in USD)|
|University of California, Berkeley||57,516|
|New York University (NYU)||33,018|
Law Colleges in the USA Offering Masters in Law
|University Name||Programs Offered||Duration|
|Harvard University||LLM||1 year|
|Yale University||LLM||1 year|
|Stanford University||LLM||9 months|
|Master of Legal Studies (MLS)||LLM||1 year|
|University of California, Berkeley||LLM||9 months|
|Columbia University||LLM||2 years|
|Executive LLM in Global Business Law||LLM||5 years|
|New York University (NYU)||LLM||Up to 5 years|
|Executive LLM in Taxation||LLM||Up to 5 years|
|MSL in Taxation||LLM||5 years|
Top Law Colleges in USA Offering PhD in Law
Following are the top law colleges in USA offering PhD in law:
|University Name||Programs Offered||Program Duration|
|Yale University||PhD in Law||3 years|
|University of California, Berkeley||Ph.D. (Jurisprudence & Social Policy- JSP Program)||5 years|
Study Law in USA: Scholarships Offered
For students who wish to pursue Law in the USA, a number of scholarships are offered as well to provide financial assistance to students. The scholarship options are given below –
- Jagdish Bhagwati Fellowship is awarded by Columbia University to graduate students.
- Knight Hennessy Scholars Program awarded by Stanford University to graduate students.
- Asia Pacific Scholarship awarded by UC Berkeley and provides funding of USD 10,000 (INR 8 lakhs) to students enrolled for the LLM program.
- Employment Law Scholarship awarded by Harvard University for students pursuing J.D Programme.
- Arthur T Vanderbilt Scholarship awarded by New York University to students pursuing masters on the basis of merit.
- Podell Global Graduate Legal Scholarship awarded by New York University to students pursuing LLM.
Career and Salary
The job opportunities for students pursuing law in the USA are plenty. The pay scale also varies depending upon the course chosen, with salaries ranging from USD 52,800 – 149,000 (INR 43 lakhs – 1.2 cr) per year. Students can work in the following areas :
- General Counsel
- Attorney General
- Tax Attorney
- Tax Manager
- Criminal Defense Lawyer
- Government Lawyer