Studying abroad in China can be a great way to experience a new culture and language. Chinese universities have a long and respected history, with some of the oldest universities in the world. With its booming economy, China offers many opportunities for international students to gain valuable work experience, build relationships, and even launch their own businesses. However, when you don’t know Chinese, then it would be difficult for you to communicate with locals. Thus here are some of the helpful phrases to learn before studying abroad in China. Keep Reading!
Common Phrases to Study Abroad in China
Studying abroad in China is an exciting experience that offers a unique opportunity to learn about Chinese culture, language, and people. For those looking to make the most of their experience, it is important to know some of the most common phrases used in the country.
Here are some useful phrases to learn before studying abroad in China:
1. Nǐ hǎo – Hello
This is the most basic and most important phrase to know when studying abroad in China. It is used as a greeting and is essential for making new friends and connections.
2. Zài jiàn – Goodbye
This phrase is used to say goodbye, and is an important part of any conversation.
3. Xièxiè – Thank you
This phrase is used to express gratitude and appreciation. It is a polite way to show respect to the people you meet during your stay.
4. Qǐng wèn – Excuse me
This phrase is used to politely ask for something, such as directions or help. It is a useful phrase to know when navigating a new city.
5. Wǒ bù dǒng – I don’t understand
This phrase is used to indicate that you don’t understand something. It is a polite way to ask for clarification or help.
6. Wǒ yào – I want
This phrase is used to indicate what you want or need. It is useful for asking for help from shopkeepers or restaurants.
7. Duō shǎo qián – How much?
This phrase is used to ask how much something costs. It is an essential phrase for any traveler who wants to get the best price on items they purchase.
Phrases to Study Abroad in China As per Different Situations
Studying abroad in China is a unique and exciting experience. Not only will you get to explore a new culture and country, but you will also gain a better understanding of the Chinese language. To make sure you’re properly prepared for your trip, here are some essential phrases you should learn before you go.
- The first phrase you should know is “你好” (nǐ hǎo), which means “Hello”. This is a polite and friendly way to greet people in China.
- Another important phrase is “谢谢” (xiè xiè), which means “Thank you”. This phrase is essential in everyday interactions, from asking for help to expressing gratitude.
- When you’re out and about in China, you’ll need to know how to say “Please” and “Excuse me”. The phrase for “Please” is “请” (qǐng) and the phrase for “Excuse me” is “对不起” (duì bù qǐ). Knowing how to use these phrases properly can help you navigate your way around China more easily.
- When you’re traveling in China, you’ll need to know how to ask for help. To do this, you can use the phrase “你能帮我吗？” (nǐ néng bāng wǒ ma?), which means “Can you help me?”. This phrase is useful when you’re trying to find directions or when you need help with something.
- Finally, you should learn some basic Chinese phrases for food. “这是什么？” (zhè shì shén me?), which means “What is this?”, is a useful phrase for ordering food in restaurants. You can also ask “多少钱？” (duō shǎo qián?), meaning “How much?”, when you’re shopping.
Also Read: High-Paying Jobs in China
These are just a few of the essential phrases you should learn before studying abroad in China. With a little bit of practice and some helpful resources, you’ll be well on your way to speaking Chinese like a pro!
Ans: Mandarin Chinese is the official language of China and is spoken by the majority of the population. It is recommended to learn Mandarin Chinese before going to China as it will make communication and understanding easier during your stay.
Ans: China has a rich, ancient culture that must be respected and appreciated during your stay. It is important to research the cultural norms and customs in advance so that you can properly adapt to the culture and avoid any potential missteps.
Ans: There are a variety of scholarships and grants available to help students finance their studies abroad. Additionally, many universities offer online courses that can be taken while in China.
This was all about Helpful Phrases to Learn Before Studying Abroad in China. Found this Blog Interesting? Follow Leverage Edu for more related articles and call 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minute counselling session today. Moreover, reach out to Fly Finance for finance-related queries.