Part-Time Jobs in New York: Indians constitute the second largest Asian ethnic group in New York City. Working in New York is rewarding but finding part-time jobs in New York as a student is a bigger fish to fry. Therefore, there are many connections to build and efforts to make in order to secure a part-time job in New York to support your studies. Because if so many Indians can, so can you!
This Blog Includes:
Also Read: Part-time Jobs in USA
Why Work Part-Time in New York?
New York City is the cultural, financial and commercial centre of the United States. As much fun as it is to live in this city with higher standards, it also takes a great deal to sustain yourself with the higher costs of living in NYC. Being a staunch supporter of every study abroad dreamer, Leverage Edu would never ask you to set your study abroad dreams aside, therefore we always come up with offers for you to make your study abroad experience more feasible. So that you can enjoy every moment of living in New York you should pursue part-time jobs while studying in the city. Apart from that you will also;
- Be able to live your dreams in New York with some extra income.
- Never fall short of funds and save some for your post-study work period in the city.
- Gain experience by working in the financial capital of the United States.
- Build global connections with employers, recruiters, friends and other people at university and work.
- Earn better wages for your work in US dollars!
- Get internships and part-time work related to your field of interest and gain practical skills.
List of Part-Time Jobs in New York
Here we are mentioning some of the most preferred part-time jobs in New York. These jobs are mostly preferred by students as they are comparatively easier to get and require fewer qualifications.
|Jobs||Average Income Per Hour|
|Admissions Reader||USD 20|
|Tutor||USD 45 to USD 60|
|Registrar Coordinator||USD 20 to USD 25|
|Nursing Attendant||USD 18 to USD 23|
|Academic Advisor/ Counsellor||USD 20 to USD 50|
|Research||USD 22 to USD 25|
|Real Estate||USD 18 to USD 26|
|Nursing Tutor||USD 20|
|College Assistant||USD 22|
|Federal Work-Study||USD 18|
Conditions to Work Part-Time Jobs in New York
Here are some common requirements to work part-time as a student in New York. Reference to these working conditions are taken from guidelines according to the New York University and candidates must look into the conditions carefully before applying for work.
- Students are allowed to work for 20+ hours per week.
- Work should be related to their major field of study in some way and contribute towards their skill building.
- You must be a student authorised by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Students will need permission from their universities to work part-time.
- Students are only allowed to work after completing one academic year at the university.
- If opting for an internship, students must begin their Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) one or two weeks before the internship begins.
- One must also provide an offer letter from the employer at the university to get permission to work.
Documents Required to Work Part-Time in New York
The documents required to work part-time in New York are mentioned below.
- Previous academic transcripts
- Student visa
- University admission letter
- Offer letter from employer
Salaries for Part-Time Work in New York
The average hourly salary for part-time jobs in New York is USD 16. The salary also majorly depends on the type of work, level of education, expertise and skills of the individual. With this average hourly income, a student can earn upto USD 32,196 per year which is a great contribution towards their return on investment. The average part-time income in some of the highest-paying states in New York is given in the table below.
|State||Average Annual Part-Time Salary|
|Washington/ North Dakota/ Vermont||USD 37,050|
|Alaska||USD 36, 727|
|South Dakota||USD 36,468|
Also Read: How Can You Work for Disney in the US?
How to Find Part-Time Jobs in New York?
Part-time jobs in New York are available on multiple platforms and one can apply directly or indirectly to the company as per their preference. Here are some popular places to look for part-time work in New York.
- Build an online presence, and connections and apply through LinkedIn. Keep your profiles updated.
- Apply through third-party websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, Monster Jobs, Craiglist, Angelist etc.
- Be a part of student support groups and communities at your university and apply there.
- Join international communities and use such connections to get a part-time job.
- You can also directly apply to the company on their official website.
The average pay for part-time work in New York is USD 16 per hour.
To find part-time work in New York you can access your social circles, international student communities, placement cells of the universities or recruiting websites such as Indeed, Glassdoor, Monster Jobs, Craiglist, and Angelist.
In New York, the universities mostly allow students to work part-time once they have completed a year of their academic studies.
This was all the information that one would require to work part-time in New York. If you have any queries or suggestions related to part-time work you can drop a comment here. Stay tuned with Leverage Edu to learn more about work opportunities and conditions to work abroad.
You might also like to read: