The antonyms of ‘Vanguard’ are followers, rear, dominant, and subordinate to mention a few. According to the standard definition, ‘Vanguard’ as a noun refers to the forefront or leading position in a movement, field, or activity. It often denotes the group of people at the forefront of new developments or ideas.
Meaning of Vanguard
When it comes to understanding the deeper meaning of Vanguard, it primarily associates with the concepts of leadership, forefront, and innovation. Sometimes, you will also find it in discussions related to cultural and social change, where individuals or groups are seen as pioneers, pushing the boundaries of conventional thinking and practices.
Also Read: 110+ Antonyms
9+ Opposites of Vanguard
Let’s take a look at the following opposites or antonyms of the Vanguard to expand your understanding of the word:
- Trailing edge
- Last place
- Old guard
Usage with Examples
The word Vanguard is often objective and can vary depending on the context and perspective of the speaker.
Let’s take a look at the following examples of using the antonyms of Vanguard in a sentence:
- The company’s outdated technology placed it firmly in the rear guard of the industry.
- As a follower in the art world, he rarely took risks and preferred traditional painting styles.
- Their approach to marketing was quite conventional, lacking any innovative strategies to stand out.
- The candidate’s conservative views didn’t resonate with the progressive voters in the region.
- While the vanguard of the movement embraced change, the traditionalists remained committed to their established practices.
Also Read: Antonyms of Improve, Meaning and Examples
Antonyms of Vanguard Quiz
Pick the closest word that is the antonym of ‘Vanguard’ from the options given below:
Also Read: Antonyms of Selfish with Meaning and Example
Explore more exciting reads below:
This was all about the antonym of Vanguard with meaning and examples. I hope you understood the usage of the word. To read more antonym blogs, follow Leverage Edu.