World Arthritis Day (WAD) is celebrated annually on 12th October. The main aim behind this day is to bring awareness about Arthritis. This year, the theme for World Arthritis Day is – “It’s in your hands, take action.” Want to know more about the importance of this day? You have come to the right place. This blog will talk about what is Arthritis, its history, significance and much more.
This Blog Includes:
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a medical condition where the patient becomes prey to the inflammation of the joints. In this disease, it can cause pain, stiffness, swelling and decreased joint mobility. There are two types of arthritis, with the two most common being osteoarthritis (which is caused by the wear and tear on the joints over time) and the next one being rheumatoid arthritis (it is an auto-immune disease which attacks the joints).
For all those having a misconception, Arthritis can affect people of any age and impact various joints in the body.
World Arthritis Day 2023: History
Arthritis is a term used to describe a group of more than 100 different types of joint-related conditions. The history behind this condition dates back to thousands of years. It’s understanding and treatment has evolved over the years.
Evidence of arthritis was been found in the skeletons of pre-historic humans in ancient times. Then, in the Middle Ages, this disease was often associated with folklore and superstitions. People often believed that it was caused by supernatural forces or curses.
In the 17th century, scientists and physicians like Sir William Harvey made contributions to the understanding of the circulatory system, which indirectly influenced the understanding of joint diseases.
Fast forward to the 21st century, the ongoing research has led to the development of more targeted and effective treatments. These include biologics and immunosuppressive drugs. Further advancements in genetics and genomics have also deepened the knowledge of medical researchers of the genetic factors that contribute to arthritis.
World Arthritis Day 2023: Significance
With this day being observed every year, it holds significant importance as it aims to raise awareness about arthritis and other related musculoskeletal conditions. Here is how the day serves several purposes:
- Awareness: It educates people about the importance of arthritis on an individual level as well as the communities around the world. A basic understanding of the challenges faced by those going through this condition.
- Advocacy: World Arthritis Day encourages advocacy efforts so as to improve healthcare services, early diagnosis and find a proper treatment for this disease.
- Support: Provide people a proper platform for this disease through organizations, healthcare professionals and all the patients to come together and share information to help one another.
- Research: This day also emphasizes the importance of the ongoing research into the causes, prevention and treatment of this disease.
World Arthritis Day 2023: Types of Arthritis
There are over 100 types of arthritis, however, we will mention some of the most common types of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis: This is one of the most common types of arthritis. It is associated with wear and tear on joints.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is an autoimmune disease which affects the joints, causing inflammation and pain.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: This type of arthritis occurs among some people struggling with psoriasis. This disease can affect joints and skin.
- Gout: It results in the buildup of uric acid crystals in joints which cause sudden and severe pain.
World Arthritis Day 2023: Treatments of Arthritis
The treatment of arthritis depends on the type as well as the severity of the condition. Here are some of the most common types of treatments.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) to slow disease progression.
- Biologics, which target specific immune system components.
- Pain relievers like acetaminophen.
- Physical Therapy: Helps improve joint function and reduce pain.
World Arthritis Day 2023: Celebration Ideas
In order to celebrate World Arthritis Day, here are some celebration ideas which will help you.
- Conduct educational workshops.
- Charity Walk/Run
- Art Exhibition
- Support Groups
- Social Media Campaigns
- Fundraising Dinners
- Art Therapy Workshops
A1. It is a worldwide campaign to promote understanding of arthritis and provide aid to individuals who suffer from it. This day, which was initially created to address the problems caused by arthritis, has developed into an essential forum for information and advocacy.
A2. Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI) created World Arthritis Day (WAD). On October 12, 1996, the first World Arthritis Day celebration was held.
We hope this blog provides you with all the relevant information about World Arthritis Day. Keep reading our trending events blogs on Leverage Edu to stay informed about the news and important dates in the world of education!