Paternity leave is granted to the male employee of an organisation immediately after the delivery of a baby. In India, government employees can get paternity leave for up to 15 days. However, there is no provision for paternity leave in the private sector. The policy of leave provided varies from company to company. Hence, it is best to check with the Human Resouce Department of an organisation regarding the guidelines. Keep reading to know more about the paternity leave application format, and for the paternity leave application samples.
This Blog Includes:
Paternity Leave Application Format
Below is the format for the paternity leave application. Employees need to include these details while writing the application.
- Sender’s name and address – Start by writing your name and address.
- Date – Specify the date you are writing the application
- Reviever’s name and address – The next step is to include the receiver’s name and the organisation’s address. For example, you can write the name of your manager/HR and write the XYZ organisation address.
- Subject- In the subject line the employee can add the reason for the application. For example, an application for paternity leave.
- Salutation- Here you have to address the reader. For example, Respected sir/ma’am
- Main body- In the main body of the letter you will have to include all the details. For example, when are you expecting the child, the number of days you will require the leave, and the date you will be joining the company.
- Thank the reader- Finally thank the reader, sign the document, and write your name, employee ID, designation and contact details.
Also Read: Leave Application for Office
Tips for Writing a Paternity Leave Application
Below are the tips that the employee can use to write a paternity leave application.
- A lengthy letter looks unprofessional. Hence, it is best to keep the main content to the point.
- Don’t forget to mention the leaves you want to take the leaves and also the date you will be rejoining.
- Taking the leave during early stages of pregnancy will be beneficial. Hence, plan out your leaves accordingly.
- In the main body of the letter state the reasons, you need to be there for the child.
- Finally, ensure that your application is approved.
Also Read: Formal Letter: Format, Types, Samples
Samples of Paternity Leave Application
Below are the samples for the paternity leave application.
Date: (date of the application)
Receiver’s name Name of the company
Sub: Requesting for Paternity Leave.
I, ___ from the ___(designation and employee name) requesting a paternity leave from work. We are expecting our __baby in the next ____(due date). Hence, I would like to take some time off.
Therefore, please grant me a leave of __ days (no of days) so that I can take care of both the mother and the child. The dates would be from___ to____. I will be available to stay in touch via __(phone/mail) and will be available to return to work on a part-time basis if needed.
I have also attached the pregnancy reports for your reference. I would greatly appreciate it if you grant my paternity leave application.
Date of application
|To: email address
Subject: Paternity Leave Application
A. Employees can ask for paternity leave after go through the company’s policies, determining the number of leave they would need, and informing the employer about the same in a paternity leave application. Employees can also attach the medical report as a proof.
A. In India, paternity leave is applicable for government employees. It is granted for a period of 15 days.
A. The paternity leave can be applied for within 8 weeks after the birth of a child. No employee can claim a leave before the birth of a child. For paternity leave, employees can write a paternity leave application.
It is provided to male employees who have fewer than two children. It is not usually refused. It may be given for up to 15 days during the wife’s confinement, i.e. up to 15 days before or up to 6 months after the child’s birth.
Paternity leave, particularly longer leaves of several weeks or months, can foster parent-child bonding, better child outcomes, and even boost gender equality at home and at work. Paid parental leave for both fathers and moms is a significant benefit to working families.
A paternity leave application is written by male employees who require paternity leave from the organisation. In the application, the employee has to clearly specify the reason for taking the leave, and the number of days he will be requiring the leave.
To read more informative articles like this follow Leverage Edu!