Whether you are in school, or college or are a working professional, in case of informing the concerned authorities about your absence due to illness you will always be required to write an application for sick leave. Therefore, knowing the correct format, how to mention the details effectively and communicating well with the authorities through effective writing are very important things that one should know. Read this blog to get to know about writing an application for sick leave, including format, samples, and tips to follow.
This Blog Includes:
- What is an Application for Sick Leave?
- What to Include in an Application for Sick Leave?
- How to Write an Application for Sick Leave?
- Tips to Follow
- Sample of Application for Sick Leave
What is an Application for Sick Leave?
A sick leave application is a formal letter that students and working professionals write to their principals and managers respectively in order to inform them about their leave due to poor health conditions. The application for sick leave contains the duration and date of leave along with the details related to the illness. If the duration of the leave is going to be for a long period due to a significant health condition then it is generally advisable to attach a medical certificate with the application for the sick leave.
Also Read: Casual leave application – Format and Examples
What to Include in an Application for Sick Leave?
- Introducing paragraph: The introduction paragraph in the application for sick leave should always be about writing about who you are (your name, in case of school and college – your class or course name and in case of office – your job position). Writing formally and respectfully is extremely important as it sets the tone for the rest of the application.
- The body: This part of the application will cover the important details like the dates on which you will be absent, your current health condition and the severity of the illness. Remember to write everything to the point in order to avoid irrelevant information.
- Concluding paragraph: Concluding paragraph is all about asking formally the concerned authorities to grant you leave, which should again be done in a kind and respectful manner.
How to Write an Application for Sick Leave?
Follow the below major points and steps to write an application for sick leave.
Focus on the Format of the Application
When it comes to the format, the following are some of the important points that you should keep in mind:
- Contact information and name: Never forget to mention your name in the introductory paragraph and other information like – in case of school and college, class and course and in case of office your job designation. This is an important piece of information that shouldn’t be missed out. Also, while signing off write your contact details like phone number and email ID.
- Date: You need to write at the top left corner of the application. The date should be the one on which you will be sending the application for sick leave to the teacher/ principal/ manager.
- Contact Information of Recipient: Make sure you write the name as well as the designation of the recipient. Apart from including the name of your company, make sure you also include the address below the designation.
- Salutation: In this part, you need to greet the recipient. If the work culture and letter-writing format of your company is focused on a last-name basis, you need to greet them with their prefix and surname.
- Subject: This is one of the most important parts of any application as the subject tells the reader concisely in a few words that what the application is about. While writing the subject, make sure you include to-the-point details.
- Body: In this part, you need to write the main part of your letter. Make sure you explain your issues properly. But you should not write more than four paragraphs.
- Sign-Off: You can end your letter by adding Yours sincerely, Yours truly, or Yours faithfully, followed by your contact information such as your email ID and phone number as well as your name.
Also Read: Leave application format for school, college or office
Attach Supporting Documents – Medical Prescription
In case of prolonged illness or severe health condition, always attach a medical certificate or prescription from the doctor which will support your application for sick leave.
Always Try to be Honest
You must coherently explain the status of your health condition. Keep in mind that you are under no obligation to tell any other personal information, including the specifics of your emergency situation and the signs and symptoms of your medical conditions. You do not have to give them your information if you don’t feel comfortable doing so.
Try to gauge your condition and calculate the days required to recuperate
Analyze and consult with your doctor regarding your health condition in order to calculate the number of days that will be required for you to feel well. Always try to have effective and clear communication with your manager or teacher regarding your current condition so that there is no confusion.
Only Provide the Necessary Details
Always avoid adding redundant information in your application as not only does it make the reader less interested but also reduces the degree of sincerity of the application. Stick to the necessary details and manage to write them coherently.
Also Read: How to write an application to the Principal?
Tips to Follow
Following are some of the important tips you need to consider when writing an application for sick leave:
- Don’t forget to offer a variety of details depending on the importance of your letter.
- Make sure to get in touch with your employer or principal to find out if the leave request has been authorized.
- While submitting an application for sick leave, adhere to all pertinent procedures.
- Don’t forget to attach a medical certificate to support your assertion.
- Keep a copy of the letter on hand at all times.
Sample of Application for Sick Leave
Below is a sample of the application for your better understanding.
1 March 2023
The Principal/ Manager,
School name/ company name
Subject: Application for sick leave
Respected Sir/ Madam,
My name is XYZ and I am currently studying in class 12th in your prestigious school. I am writing this application to apply for sick leave due to my poor health condition.
I am suffering from severe mouth ulcers because of this I am in a lot of pain. Due to this, I would like to apply for 3 days’ leave i.e from 1 March to 3 March as suggested by my doctor. For reference, I am attaching a medical certificate stating my current health condition.
I would be highly obliged if you would grant me leave.
Ans. The best way is to first communicate directly with your manager or employer regarding your health condition. After doing so, make sure to write an application for sick leave that will serve as an official document for the record.
Ans. Tell the current status of your health and your doctor’s observation during the consultation. Don’t forget to attach the medical certificate with your application for sick leave.
Ans. By following the format of the application for sick leave you can easily write the application. All you need to do is to write effectively by providing the necessary details and refraining from unnecessary information.
Ans. In order to ask or apply for leave due to illness you need to write an application for sick leave and provide details like – the current status of your health, no. of days required for you to recuperate, your medical certificate and your contact information.
Writing a good application for sick leave is an easy task if you follow the format and stick to providing necessary information while being honest regarding your condition. Also being clear while writing the application and supporting it with the necessary documents i.e, either a medical certificate or prescription will make your application look more effective.
This is everything you need to know about how to write an application for sick leave. Make sure you follow Leverage Edufor more such informative articles.