A range of leaves is available for employees to utilise in their tenure at an organisation, depending on the nature of the industry they are employed in. Casual Leaves are a part of the leaves that employees can take at their convenience. The reasons for taking casual leaves can differ for employees. From having to take care of their health, attending to personal matters, or simply practising self-care and taking a breather, the presence of Casual Leaves allows employees to maintain their momentum without facing burnout. As each organisation has their own procedure for employees to apply for casual leaves, this blog gathers some of the most important aspects of writing a Casual Leave application, including its format and examples. So without further ado, read on to receive a better understanding!
This Blog Includes:
A Brief Intro to Casual Leave Application
Casual Leave applications are usually used in the workspace or different areas of employment. It is a formal way of requesting the approval of your casual leave for a particular reason that underlays the justification for your absence from the office/place of work. Be it unforeseen circumstances or planned events that lead to your application for a casual leave, you are required to inform your reporting manager beforehand formally. Do note to mention the number of days for which you are required to take the casual leave, and how your absence shall affect the work that’s been assigned to you. Accordingly, adjustments shall be made that don’t hamper the productivity of the whole team. You can send the Casual Letter to your manager in the form of email, printed on paper, or both.
Also Read: Medical Leave Application
What are the components that add to its essential aspects? The same is shared below.
- The subject or purpose of the Casual Leave application shall be added with absolute particularness and should not be missed.
- It is also important that you mention the receiver’s name, and add a salutation.
- Next, make sure the reason for taking the leave is integrated into the application.
- The number of days needed for the leave should be mentioned.
- The aspect of the work plan in your absence shall be discussed in earnest with your supervisor/manager in the application with effective solutions.
- Your contact information and signature conclude the application.
Format of a Casual Leave Application
The format of a Casual Leave application discusses the major structure of the application. In the table below, the same has been expanded on, including a pre-application understanding of casual leave application.
|Pre – Application Preparation||The employee should be aware of the organisation’s casual leave policy. This allows them to prepare the Casual Leave application with accuracy which increases the chance of its approval.|
|Subject Line||This is the subject line at the top of the email or mentioned separately in a printed letter. It clears the purpose.
Some examples are shared below.
Casual leave application for urgent personal work
Casual leave application because of illness of a family member
|Address with Professional Salutation||You are to start the application with a formal address to the manager/receiver’s name, adding a professional salutation such as “Hello ______(recipient’s name)” or “Dear _____ (recipient’s name)”.|
|Body||The body includes three major pieces of information.
The Reason: Sharing the valid reason for missing work days allows the recipient to better understand your situation.
The Days: Sharing the days of absence further allows the recipient to plan for the days when you shall be missing your work days.
The Work Plan: Mention the person to whom you have delegated the work in your absence, or who can potentially divide the work for you. It’s always a great way to manage the work you have been assigned, especially for high-priority projects.
|Conclusion||The conclusion can add your emergency contact number in case there is a requirement to reach out to you. Express gratitude and kindly ask for approval.|
|Closing Salutation||Use a closing salutation such as “Yours Truly” or “Regards”. You can also choose to add your signature at the end.|
Also Read: Birthday Leave Letter
Tips to Write a Casual Leave Application
Some of the most helpful tips to write a Casual Leave application are as follows.
- Inform Your Manager Beforehand: Make a note of informing your manager about the Casual Leave before you plan to take it. At least two days before work.
- Make it Short but Effective. The CL application should not be in multiple paragraphs. Just get to the point, clarify your reason, and politely ask for approval.
- Use Professional Language: Make sure that your ‘Causal’ Leave Application doesn’t come across as casual.
- Proofread: Make sure that all the details and dates are correct.
Casual Leave Application Sample
For your better understanding, some CL Application Samples have been shared below.
Subject: Casual leave application for urgent personal work
Dear ______ (add recipient’s name)
I write this application to request you to grant me __ days of Casual Leave, from _____________________ since _____________ (add reason).
Please be informed that I have completed all my tasks to date and have delegated the work for the days of my casual leave to _________. They will take care of the priority tasks for me.
If there’s any kind of work-related discrepancy or emergency, kindly contact me at ____________ (add a phone number), or _____________ (add email ID)
I shall be highly obliged if you approve my request for the aforementioned period of Casual Leave.
Also Read: Leave Application Format for Office, School & College
Mistakes to Avoid in a Casual Leave Application
Some mistakes that you should avoid are shared below.
- Erroneous details such as the dates of absence and return shall not be mixed up.
- If you have cited the company policy, make sure it’s not falsely cited.
- Don’t skip out on providing your contact information in case of emergencies.
- Make sure you make it clear that you don’t want to be contacted if that is the case.
- Do not mention too much information or over-detail your application.
Ans. Making your leave application in writing and sending it to your reporting manager is one of the best ways to ask for leave.
Ans. You gently explain your situation and reasons behind taking a leave of absence such as “health-related issues”.
Ans. Any unforeseen circumstance or valid situation can be a valid reason for casual leave.
This was all about Casual Leave Application. Subscribe to more such interesting yet informative blogs on Leverage Edu or book a 30-min free counselling session with our experts at 1800 57 2000.