The Full Form of EPROM is Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory. A PROM (programmable read-only memory) chip known as an EPROM can continue to save data even after the power is turned off. Non-volatile refers to a type of computer memory that keeps the stored data accessible even after the device has been turned off. Because EPROM is easily programmable and erasable, it can be used repeatedly. Once it has been set up, a person can remove the memory by exposing it to a powerful UV light source (such as a mercury-vapour lamp).
History of EPROM
- At Bell Labs, Simon Sze and Dawon Kahng postulated that a reprogrammable read-only memory (ROM) cell might work well with the floating gate of a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET).
- Dov Frohman from Intel remembered this idea. He created EPROM in 1971.
- The Intel 1702 was the 2048-bit EPROM that Frohman ultimately created. It was revealed by Intel in 1971.
Also Read: What is the full form of EDVAC?
Characteristics of EPROM
- All EPROMs are programmed using electronic devices.
- By shining UV (ultraviolet) light on an EPROM, a user can delete the data that is stored there.
- Data and information are kept in an EPROM for at least 10 to 20 years.
- Have the erasing window closed and limit exposure to UV radiation to prevent unintentional data loss.
Also Read: What is the full form of IBC?
Benefits of EPROM
- It can be readily programmed and erased.
- Because EPROM memory data can be erased, a user won’t need another external memory. As a result, over the long term, it is highly effective and efficient.
If not wiped, it retains information and data for a considerable amount of time.
Also Read: What is the full form of PCMB?
- A user cannot choose a specific piece of data to delete. Instead, they must remove the entire collection of data. When it comes to important pieces of knowledge, it is worrying.
- To prevent the deletion of all data, you must maintain an EPROM backup.
- EPROM requires UV radiation to erase data, therefore it is quite uncommon.
- For certain users, data deletion and erasure become quite complicated and expensive. It might not even be reachable.
Also Read: What is the full form of SSA?
This was all about the Full Form of EPROM. Visit our Full Form Page to discover more intriguing articles about full forms. You can also get a consolidated list of 300+ full forms here! Get in touch with the experts at Leverage Edu in order to kickstart your study abroad journey!