Do you know the name of India’s first radio station was changed or a during the finale episode of a sitcom, commercial was priced $2M just for 30 seconds? History is full of jaw-dropping facts that will simply astonish you. In this blog, we will be providing you with some interesting events and facts that have happened on this day in history- May 14
What Happened in India on May 14?
- 1657 – The second Chhatrapati of the Maratha empire, Sambhaji Maharaj was born at the Purandar Fort
- 1982 – The name of All India Radio was changed to Akashvani
- 1996 – H.D.Deve Gowda, politician and former prime minister of India was elected leader of the third front in Lok Sabha
2018 – Police charged Indian politician Shashi Tharoor for driving his wife to commit suicide
2019 – The rape of a three-year-old girl lead to huge protests and schools were closed down
What Happened Around the World on May 14?
- 1747 – At the first battle of Cape Finisterre, the French were defeated by a British fleet under Admiral George Anson.
- 1811 – Independence Day of Paraguay is celebrated today, It gained independence from Spain on May 14
- 1878 – Vaseline was granted a patent in the USA today
- 1832 – Hebrides concert by Felix Mendelssohn was premiered in London
- 1932 – Parade held in the street of New York on this day was on “We Want Beer!”
- 1939 – The world’s youngest Lina Medina of Peru was announced. She is the youngest mother in medical history at the age of five.
- 1948 – Israel gained independence from the British administration
- 1955 – Nuclear test performed by at Pacific Ocean
- 1957 – New Girl in Town, musical by Bob Merrill inaugurated in 46th St Theater, New York
- 1961 – Monaco Grand Prix winner was Stirling Moss for the year 1961.
- 1964 – The Umbrellas of Cherbourg wins the Grand Prix du Festival International du Film at 17th Cannes Film Festival
- 1970 – Our Town a local newspaper of New York started publishing today
- 1972 – All in the Family, American sitcom wins 24th Emmy Awards starring Carrol O’Conner & Jean Stapleton win
- 1973 – Equal rights to females in military approved by US Supreme court
- 1981– S-192 space vehicle was launched by NASA
- 1998 – The finale episode of Seinfeld aired on NBC was watched by 76.3M people and the 30-second commercial was priced at $2M
- 2012 – Prototype of the bionic eye was developed by scientists of Stanford University.
- 2013 – Same-sex marriage is legalized by Brazil becoming the 15th country in the world to do so.
2020 – Covid- 19 global death rate passes 3,00,000 and confirmed cases were more than 4.4M.
Famous Birthdays on May 14
- 1929 – Barbara Branden was a famous Canadian writer, editor, and lecturer born in Winnipeg, Canada
- 1944 – George Lucas is known for creating Star Wars, Indiana Jones, American Graffiti was born in Modesto, California
- 1969 – German professional motor racing driver and presenter of Top Gear Sabine Schmitz was born in Adenau, West Germany
- 1971 – Famous American director Sofia Coppola born was born in New York
- 1982 – British multi vocalist, musician, and comedian popular for beatboxing skills Beardyman was born on May 14.
- 1984 – Mark Zuckerberg is an American internet entrepreneur and co-founder of Facebook was on this day in White Plains, New York
1996 – Martin Garrix is a famous Dutch DJ who was in the list DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJs list for three consecutive years was born on May 14 in Amstelveen, Netherlands
This was all about the interesting and intriguing events that occurred on May 14! We hope you have had fun reading this blog! For more such entertaining and informative content, keep following us on Leverage Edu. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.