The US is the most common destination opted for by international students for study abroad. Before planning to study in the United States the candidates must know the US student visa requirements. Interested candidates must check the below article to know why they should choose to study in the US, educational requirements, eligibility criteria, English language requirements, required documents, course fees, top universities, etc. Go through the below guide and explore the various requirements to get a US student visa.
Do you need a Visa to Study in the US?
Every citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the US is required to get a visa. The visa can be either immigrant or non-immigrant both permanent stay and temporary stay. Candidates planning to pursue full-time degrees such as Bachelor’s, Master’s, or doctoral programs in the US must get a visa. Going forward as per the requirements of the course the candidates will be issued either F or M visas. Therefore, applicants must be aware of US student visa requirements.
Why to Study in the US?
Most of the candidates choose to study in the US because of the following reasons:
- It offers affordable education to students
- It acts as an outstanding supporting system for international students
- It provides access to various internship opportunities
- Candidates get access to an exciting campus lifestyle
US Student Visa Requirements – Documents
Check the documents required for a US student visa:
- A valid passport for at least 6 months.
- Acceptance letter from SEVP-approved schools along with I-20 form
- SEVIS application fee payment
- Confirmation page of form DS-160 and non-immigrant visa application
- Number and photograph in the requested format
- In case the candidates opt for Optional Practical Training (OPT) they will also have to apply for USCIS for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
Find below some additional documents:
- Documents such as diplomas, transcripts, certificates, or degrees are required for academic preparation.
- Evidence showing that there are enough funds to support themselves in the US may include bank statements, scholarship programs, etc
- Evidence shows that the candidates will leave the country once they have completed their studies.
US Student Visa Requirements – Eligibility
Candidates are required to fulfil the given below basic eligibility criteria:
- Candidates are required to apply for an SEVP-approved school in the US.
- They must be enrolled in a full-time program in a US institution.
- Candidates should have cleared any of the language proficiency tests like IELTS/ TOEFL.
- They must have proof of sufficient funds in their bank account.
- Candidates must stay outside the country while applying for a USA student Visa, they must reside outside the country.
US Student Visa Requirements – Education Requirements
Check below the educational requirements for US student visa:
|Higher Study Options
|Minimum Educational Requirement
|Minimum Required Percentage
|Other Standardized Tests
|12 years of education (10+2)
|Overall, 6 with 5.5 in each band
|Up to 10 backlogs (some private hospital universities may accept more)
|The minimum SAT score required is 1350/1600
|4-year graduate degree. Very few universities will accept a 3-year bachelor’s degree if the university is NAAC accredited A+ or A
|Overall, 6.5 with no band less than 6
|GRE: 310/GMAT 520 MBA program may require 3-4 years of work experience
US Student Visa Requirements – English Language
Candidates are required to satisfy some English language requirements mentioned below:
- To get a US student visa the candidates must provide proof of English language proficiency. This is required to prove communication and correspondence skills.
- IELTS is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test for work-study and migration purposes.
- The educational institutions in the US require a minimum score of 6.5 band in the IELTS.
Top Universities for Students in the US
Check the top universities for students in the US given below:
US Student Visa Requirements – Cost of Studying
Check below how much fees are required to be paid to study in US-based colleges:
|Approximate Tuition Fees
|Undergraduate Bachelor Degree
|$15,000 to $50,000 per year
|$20,000 to $50,000 per year
|$20,000 to $55,000 per year
Irish Student Visa Application Essential Documents
There are several essential documents for an Ireland student visa application. These documents are as follows:
- The applicant must have a valid passport and copy of previous passports
- Submit proof of English proficiency. For example, the IELTS/TOEFL score
- Must submit academic record and other credentials that confirm the admission to the university
- Offer letter from the university, and proof of financial stability
- Submit 2 recent color passport-size photographs
- Proof of medical insurance, and attest application form
- Proof of commitment to leave the country after the completion of studies
- Proof of previous visa refusals
- Submit documents such as bank statements, invitation letters, etc
- Any other additional documents required for visa application
Things To Keep In Mind While Applying For Ireland Student Visa
Here are some of the things to keep in mind for an Ireland student visa application. Keeping these things in mind will minimize the chances of a student visa rejection.
- The Ireland student visa will not be processed if the student sends an application for the same 4 months before the course start date.
- Original and photocopy of all essential documents must be submitted. Moreover, the original documents must be translated into English and must be notarized
- It is important not to submit misleading documents as it can cause the rejection of a visa application. Only correct documents with accurate information must be submitted.
- It is best to apply for a student visa 6 weeks before the start of the study program
The application processing time varies between 3 days to a few weeks depending on the number of applications. However, if there is any issue with the application then the processing may increase.
To avoid US visa rejections, the candidates must make sure that they have sufficient funds in their bank account.
SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visit Information System. Once the student gets their student visa for the US they will be assigned a SEVIS number and a SEVIS record will be created.
The student must have sufficient funds to pay their tuition fees. Apart from this amount, the visa applicant must also provide proof of finances. It has to be submitted as proof that the students can support themselves during their stay in Ireland. For this, a minimum amount of €7,000 per year is needed. If there is a sponsor, the applicant must prove that the sponsor can find his/her stay in Ireland.
We would like you to know the US student visa requirements, in terms of documents, English language, eligibility, etc. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below, or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu, and we will guide you on your dream journey!