Freiburg is a beautiful and lively city in Germany that offers many attractions and activities for students and visitors alike. Whether you are looking for art, nature, history, music, or fun, you will find something to suit your taste and budget. This blog will introduce you to some of the top hangout spots near the University of Freiburg, and give you some tips and information on how to make the most of your time there. So let’s get started!
|Location||Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Type||Public research university|
|Rector (Head of the University)||Kerstin Krieglstein|
|Students||24,391 (18.2% international)|
|Motto||Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen (The truth will set you free)|
|Ranking||QS World University Rankings 2023 – 189
Times Higher Education World University Rankings – 86
Shanghai Ranking Academic Ranking of World Universities – 101-150
This Blog Includes:
Why Choose to Study at University of Freiburg?
With so many top hangout spots near the University of Freiburg, studying in Germany does look very exotic indeed. But purely from getting quality education in one of the world’s most prestigious educational institutes, here’s why you should choose the University of Freiburg as your ultimate study abroad destination:
- Having a history of excellence in teaching and research, the University of Freiburg has produced 22 Nobel laureates and 15 Leibniz Prize winners and is ranked among the top universities in the world.
- The institute offers over 200 degree programs, from humanities and social sciences to natural sciences and engineering, many of which are taught in English or bilingual.
- The University of Freiburg has a strong international orientation, with partnerships and exchange programs with top universities and research institutions around the globe.
- You can enjoy the cosmopolitan atmosphere of the university, where 18% of the students are international. You can also learn German and other languages and cultures through various courses and activities that the university offers.
- You can also join the International Club or other student organizations to meet new friends and participate in social and cultural events. The university staff and faculty are friendly and helpful and will make you feel welcome and at home.
Top Hangout Spots Near University of Freiburg
Located in southwest Germany, Freiburg im Breisgau is known for its sunny climate, green environment, and high quality of life. The city offers several top hangout spots near the University of Freiburg as well, from historic buildings, monuments, and waterways to nature, markets, and nightlife. Let’s explore some of the popular ones:
1. Freiburger Münster
One of the most popular attractions of Freiburg, Freiburger Münster looks over the main market square, making it hard to miss. With its origin dating back to the 1200s, this Gothic-style cathedral is known for its stained glass windows, tall columns and arches, and dizzying, winding pulpits.
This town square is just outside the Freiburger Münster cathedral, serving as an outdoor cafe on a good weather day. So if you want to take in Germany in all of its glory, grab a seat (and a Cappucino) and enjoy the view of cobblestone streets, ringing church bells on the backdrop of the pastel buildings.
If you’re in need of groceries, you can always count on Münstermarkt to have the freshest produce of fruits, vegetables and flowers. The local market is also known for its sale of ingredients for unusual dishes and is fairly busy every morning of the week.
Whether you want to go swimming, sail a boat or eat something, you can have it all in Seepark. You can also play mini-golf or frolic about in the playgrounds if you wish. A stroll in Freiburg’s Japanese Gardens is not to be missed either if peace and serenity are what you are seeking during your visit.
5. Freiburg Bächle
First built to supply water for firefighting and cleaning, Freiburg Bächle (small water-filled runnels) are now a source of fun for children and adults alike. You can dip your feet in them, float a paper boat, or follow them to discover hidden corners of the city. Some people say that if you accidentally step into a Bächle, you will marry a Freiburger (just a heads up!).
Yes, the historic Old Town of Freiburg is the centre of the city’s vibrant nightlife.
Located in the iconic Black Forest of Germany, Freiburg is absolutely worth visiting. The city’s charm lies in its town halls, towering minster, local markets, and vibrant nightlife.
The city of Freiburg in southwest Germany is famous for many reasons:
1. It is home to one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Germany, with a history of excellence in teaching and research.
2. It has produced many Nobel laureates and Leibniz Prize winners and is ranked among the top universities in the world.
3. Freiburg is also a tourist and cultural hub, with many attractions and activities for visitors. It has a beautiful old town, with a Gothic cathedral, historic buildings, and water-filled runnels.
You can visit the Black Forest from Freiburg using any of these transports: a train (1hr 7min), taxi (34 min), or a car (34 min).