The gist of something is the main point or key idea.
- Gist-content questions require you to determine the primary subject or concept discussed in the listening conversation or lecture.
Gist-Content questions are typically phrased as follows:
- What are the speakers mainly discussing?
- What is the main topic of the lecture?
- What is the lecture mainly about?
Tips to Remember
- Actively listen for the main topic and primary points.
- Ignore minor details and focus on the big picture.
- Take brief notes to capture key ideas.
- Identify the central theme or subject.
- Consider the context and speaker’s tone.
What is the lecture mainly about?
a. How to avoid decompression sickness
b. The pressure changes and possible effects one might experience while diving
c. Which gases are soluble in water
d. Scuba diving and the effects of changing depths at a rapid pace
Correct answer: B
Are you preparing for TOEFL? Check out this video to improve your listening skills for the TOEFL exam given below👇.
Download the Leverage App today.
Need help to prepare for TOEFL? Check out the best TOEFL preparation courses in the market offered in a live training environment by trusted educators. If you want to ease your study abroad journey, then call us at 1800-572-000.