The EB-5 visa is also known as the Immigrant Investor Program. The U.S. Congress initiated this visa to brace the American economy through capital investment and job creation by foreign investors. This is a great option for international students especially for the Indians who seek more than just education in the US. Indians can get permanent residency and U.S. citizenship by passing the uncertainties and limitations.
Process of Converting F1 Visa to EB-5 Visa
Check below the process to convert an F1 Visa to EB – 5 Visa:
- The candidates must invest either $800000 in a targeted employment area or $1050000 in other areas. The investment must create at least 10 full-time job opportunities for U.S. workers.
- Candidates must file the I-526 petition – the Immigrant Petition by Alien Investor with their Immigration Attorney. Once the I-526 filing is approved then they can file the I-485 form for adjustment of status concurrently. This will allow the students to stay legally in the US while the EB-5 application is processed.
- Candidates will also have to file I-765 for EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and Advance Parole (AP). AP allows to travel while Form I-485 is pending.
- They may have to attend an interview at a USCIS office. If approved the candidates will get the status of conditional permanent residency.
- Lastly, the students must file Form I-829 within 90 days before the second anniversary of their conditional Green Card to remove conditions. Once this is approved the candidates will become a permanent resident.