Many universities around the world, such as in Australia, award the Master of Education (M.Ed., Magister Educationis) as a postgraduate Master’s degree. It is similar to a Master of Science or Master of Arts, but it is awarded for educational studies. In many European countries, such as Germany or the Netherlands, the Master of Education is a state examination degree that allows graduates to work as teachers in public schools. The Master of Education is not solely concerned with educating school teachers. A Master of Education can also be awarded for interdisciplinary programmes and education-related subjects. If you’re looking to pursue M.Ed in Australia, you’re in the right place! In this blog, you’ll find everything related to the Master of Education in Australia, from top colleges to study costs. Let’s dig in!
|Course||Masters of Education|
|Duration of the course||1.5-2 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelors in Teaching or international equivalent|
|Entrance exams||TOEFL, IELTS, PTE|
|Tuition Fees||25,000 (INR 13.90 Lakhs)-60,000 AUD (INR 33.36 Lakhs) per year|
|Jobs||Education policy officer, Secondary school teacher, School counsellor|
|Average Salary||75,000 AUD (INR 42.01 Lakh) per year|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Masters of Education in Australia?
- Top Universities for Masters of Education in Australia
- Master of Education in Australia: Specializations
- Course Curriculum
- Admission Requirements for M.Ed in Australia
- Cost of Studying M.Ed in Australia
- Masters of Education in Australia: Jobs and Salaries
- Masters of Education in Australia: Top Recruiters
- Scholarships for M.Ed in Australia
- Future Scope
Why Study Masters of Education in Australia?
Because of the rapid growth of the education and training industry, the Master of Education degree attracts a large number of international students to study in Australia. The following are some of the facts that contribute to this degree’s popularity:
- According to the Australian Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, the education and training industry employed over 1,035,400 people, accounting for 31% of total employment in the country.
- By May 2023, the industry is expected to grow by 11.2%.
- Females make up 72% of the workforce in the education and training industry.
- Only 39% of those working in this industry work part-time.
- Primary school teachers, secondary school teachers, and educational aides are the most in-demand occupations in this sector.
- University teachers in Australia are the highest-paid professionals in the world.
Top Universities for Masters of Education in Australia
The table below shows the first-year tuition fees as well as the QS World University Rankings of the top ten Australian universities that offer Masters of Education:
|University||Tuition Fee (1st Year)||QS World University Rankings 2023|
|The University of Melbourne||AUD 35,072(INR 19.64 Lakh)||33|
|The University of Sydney||AUD 40,000(INR 22.40 Lakh)||41|
|University of New South Wales||AUD 54,720(INR 30.65 Lakh)||45|
|The University of Queensland||AUD 27,510(INR 15.41 Lakh)||50|
|Monash University||AUD 33,700(INR 18.88 Lakh)||57|
|The University of Western Australia||AUD 46,400(INR 25.99 Lakh)||90|
|The University of Adelaide||AUD 39,000(INR 21.84 Lakh)||109|
|University of Technology, Sydney||AUD 27,648(INR 15.48 Lakh)||137|
|University of Wollongong||AUD 27,120(INR 15.19 Lakh)||185|
|RMIT University||AUD 27,840(INR 15.59 Lakh)||190|
Master of Education in Australia: Specializations
Students interested in pursuing a Master of Education in Australia can select from various electives and specialisations. The following are some of the specialisations:
|Arts education||Assessment and Pedagogy||Equity, Diversity and Social Change|
|Leadership and Management||Literacy Education||Mathematics and Science Education|
|Policy in a Global Context||Student Well-being||Mental Health and well-being|
|Learning and Teaching||Educational Leadership||Educational Psychology|
|TESOL||Gifted Education||Curriculum and Assessment|
Must Read: How to Settle in Australia?
Teaching is commonly divided into three major areas of expertise: early childhood education, primary and secondary education, and master’s degrees in education. However, there are numerous courses available in this field for you to pursue.
Some of the courses are as follows:
- Masters in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)
- TESOL and Applied Linguistics Master’s Degree
- Learning and Teaching Master (MOLT)
- Education Master’s Degree
- Secondary Education Master’s Degree (MMET)
- Master of Primary Education
Admission Requirements for M.Ed in Australia
To apply for a master’s degree in education in Australia, you must have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Inquiries about the application must be made at least 12-15 months before the proposed admission date. Here are the general requirements to study M.Ed in Australia:
Where Can I Apply?
- Request application forms from the university’s website via email. Universities usually have a form on their website where students can request applications.
- Obtaining a copy from the university’s website: Most universities’ websites offer downloadable and print-ready versions of their application forms.
- Obtaining applications from University Reps: Application forms are available from various authorised Australian University representatives in India.
Master of Education Academic Requirements in Australia are as follows:
- 3-year bachelor’s degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an Australian university
- 16 years of formal education
- Have a 3.0 GPA
- Passing the GRE general examination
- Pass an admissions interview with flying colours
- IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo are some of the English proficiency exams accepted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship.
The documents required for securing admission to any top university in Australia are:
- Details of the course subjects and grades of college or university
- Official transcript of college or university
- A statement of purpose
- A letter of recommendation
- Attested copies of the following:
- Standard X Mark sheet
- Standard XII Mark sheet
- Bachelor’s Degree / Provisional Certificate with mark sheet
Cost of Studying M.Ed in Australia
The tuition fee of the university, living expenses, application fee, visa fee, travel expenses, and other miscellaneous charges are all included in the cost of pursuing a Master of Education in Australia. A student’s living expenses are determined by his or her lifestyle and location. We have provided the cost of studying in Australia for one year below:
The average tuition fee for the first year at 30 universities is INR 21 lakhs.
The average annual cost of living is INR 6.59 Lakhs. The pre-arrival cost is given below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (in INR)|
|Application Fees||5,700 – 8,500|
|IELTS Registration Fee||18,500 – 20,690|
|TOEFL Registration Fee||15,518|
|Visa Application Fees||32,330|
Masters of Education in Australia: Jobs and Salaries
Masters of Education students can work as teachers, principals, special educators, instructional designers, training and development managers, academic managers, and so on. Some of the job profiles and associated salaries are listed below. Payscale provided the following data:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary School Teacher||AUD 66,132 (INR 37.04 Lakh)|
|Secondary School Teacher||AUD 69,284 (INR 37.12 Lakh)|
|Instructional Designer||AUD 84,150 (INR 47.14 Lakh)|
|Assistant Principal||AUD 118,135 (INR 66.18 Lakh)|
|Principal||AUD 134,434 (INR 75.31 Lakh)|
Masters of Education in Australia: Top Recruiters
Students pursuing a Master of Education in Australia are typically placed in educational institutions such as schools and universities. The table below lists some of the top recruiters:
|Victoria University||Environment and Science||Mott MacDonald|
|Nhulunbuy Christian College||University of Technology Sydney||Indian River State College|
|City of Greater Geelong||Swinburne University of Technology||La Trobe University|
|Affinity Education Group||Riverside Christian College||Southern Cross University|
|Youth Off the Streets||Avondale College||Torrens University Australia|
|The Scots College||Peninsula Health||Brisbane Catholic Education|
|Morling College||Westbourne Grammar School||IXL Learning|
Scholarships for M.Ed in Australia
Although the majority of international students in Australia pay full tuition, they may choose to apply for a scholarship to help with the financial burden. Although Australian Government scholarships are not available for international students pursuing English language training in Australia, several institutions do provide English language training scholarships. Some scholarships which are available for international students, though, are listed below:
|Australia Award Scholarship||A full tuition fee waiver; Travel expenses; Initial grant of 5,000 AUD (INR 2.80 Lakh); Maintenance stipend (approximately 30,000 AUD (INR 16.80 Lakh) per year); Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC); Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF); Visa fees; Other sundry expenses|
|Destination Australia Scholarship||15,000 AUD (INR 8.40 Lakh) per year for the duration of your course.|
|Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship||Approximately 30,000 AUD (INR 16.80 Lakh) per year|
|Australian-American Fulbright Commission Scholarship||A monthly stipend for up to 10 months; Travel expenses; Healthcare insurance; Networking opportunities through Fulbright Alumni|
You can apply for administrative positions with a Master of Education degree. This would allow you to reach a greater number of students. The average salary for master’s degree students in Australia is 88,000 AUD (INR 49.30 Lakh).
Coursework for a Master’s programme includes education theories, teaching strategies, assessment methods, and student learning and behaviour patterns. As a result, teachers receive brief exposure to those topics during their undergraduate years, but completing a Master’s programme encourages students to apply them specifically to the classroom.
Higher incomes are associated with advanced degrees. Some school districts even provide automatic wage increases to teachers with a master’s degree in education. a subset of the world’s population.
The Master of Teaching (Secondary) degree is completed in two years full-time or four years part-time via online study. Session 3 offers a variety of subjects to help you finish your degree faster or spread your study commitments out over the year.
Fees for 2023 courses (domestic students): The cost of 120 credit points is $23,200 (INR 19.23 Lakhs). Please keep in mind that 120 credit points equal one year of full-time study. There may be Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) available. Please keep in mind that essential requirements and additional costs incur additional costs.
To apply for a master’s degree in education in Australia, you must have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Inquiries about the application must be made at least 12-15 months before the proposed admission date.
This was all about the Master of Education in Australia. If you’re aiming to study abroad and want to secure admission to the top universities around the world, contact Leverage Edu or book a 30-minute free counselling session with our experts at 1800 57 2000.