Adjective to Describe a Person: What kind of person are you? Are you a caring person? You are naughty? Are you a fun-loving creature? Take some time to think about what kind of person you are. All these words that you use to describe yourself are called adjectives. These adjectives help us describe ourselves to people who don’t know us. Correct use of personality or attributive adjectives is important for effective writing, so we need to learn what personality /attributive adjectives are and how to use them effectively.
This Blog Includes:
|Check Out the Complete List of Adjectives from A to Z
What are Adjectives?
Before we talk about personality adjectives let us first quickly revise what adjectives are!
Adjectives are the words used to describe or qualify nouns or pronouns in the sentence. Adjectives help us to make our writing more engrossing. For example, adorable, gorgeous, pretty, handsome, etc.
Let us take a look at the following examples of adjectives that help us to create fantastic sentences.
- This is my dog.
- This is my caring, loving, fluffy, and faithful dog.
Out of these two sentences, Sentence 2 appears to be more appealing and engaging to the readers as compared to Sentence 1.
Words Used to Describe Personality
There are numerous kinds of adjectives but the adjectives that are used to describe specific traits, qualities, and features are called attributive adjectives or personality adjectives. These adjectives qualify more than just people including observations such as size/shape, color, age, origin, material, etc.
- Sonali is a gorgeous woman.
- He is a hardworking man.
Two Types of Personality Adjectives
Two types of adjectives are used to describe the personality of a person. They are called positive and negative adjectives,
Positive adjectives are the adjectives that are used to describe positive traits of the person. On the other hand, negative adjectives are used to describe the negative traits of the person. Both of these adjectives are important to create impactful writing so it is advisable to choose appropriate words to communicate clearly.
List of Positive Words to Describe A Person
Positive adjectives are used to qualify a person, place, thing, idea, or experience positively. Positive Adjectives describe positive emotions like love, hope, happiness, and joy. The use of these adjectives makes others feel motivated, uplifted, confident, or encouraged. Some of them are listed below:
List of Negative Words to Describe A Personality
Negative adjectives are used to denote negative traits or bad feelings about the person. They describe the negative side of the person. Some of them are given below:
Things to Be Considered While Using Words to Describe a Person
A few things need to be considered while using an adjective to describe a person’s personality.
- What type of image do you want to create of a person either positive or negative?
- Do you know that person or are you just writing based on imagination?
- What kind of pronouns you are trying to qualify for?
Exercise on Personality Adjectives
Identify the type of adjective whether it is a positive or negative adjective.
- She has a gorgeous personality.
- He is very selfish in nature.
- He is very energetic and ambitious.
- She is very diplomatic in nature.
- Rita has an adorable personality.
- These boys are very clever.
- These unprivileged girls are so cheerful.
- I am a very hardworking and dedicated person.
- This group of boys is too determined.
- She is very aggressive by nature.
Match your answers with the solved exercise given below:
- She has a gorgeous personality. Positive
- He is very selfish in nature.Negative
- He is very energetic and ambitious. Positive
- She is very diplomatic in nature. Negative
- Rita has an adorable personality. Positive
- These boys are very clever. Negative
- These unprivileged girls are so cheerful. Positive
- I am a very hardworking and dedicated person. Positive
- This group of boys is too determined. Positive
- She is very aggressive by nature. Negative
Some examples of positive adjectives are vigorous, energetic, amiable, friendly, lovely, pretty, etc.
Some examples of negative adjectives are ugly, deceitful, rude, selfish, jealous, etc.
These things need to be considered when using an adjective to describe a person’s personality.
What type of image do you want to create of a person either positive or negative?
Do you know that person or just writing based on imagination?
What kind of pronouns you are trying to qualify for?
Explore more Exciting Reads on Adjectives Here!