When a student wants to study abroad, he/she is ready to do every possible hard work to get the required scores in their respective examination. But when it comes to funding their whole study abroad education process, there is always a question mark regarding their funding. Money can sometimes hold back their dreams. So, here, read this blog to know all Indian Government Schemes to help study abroad aspirants.
We know how expensive the study abroad decision can get for students. But with time, there are many options available from where students can get support regarding their funds to start their journey. Students can now rely on a few sources of funding for their study abroad plans. We will discover different types of Indian Government Scholarships to help study abroad aspirants. Interested candidates must go through the article once to know more about Indian Government Scholarships.
This Blog Includes:
- Types of Indian Government Scholarships
- Top Indian Government Scholarships
- Difference Between Student Loans and Scholarships
- How to apply for Indian Government Schemes to help Study Abroad Aspirants
Types of Indian Government Scholarships
There are different scholarships available provided by the Indian government. Students can choose the one that suits them the best through research and preparation. They are divided into different categories. The names and types of Indian Government Scholarships are mentioned below.
- Merit-Based: A student who has scored higher in academic excellence can prefer this scholarship. The student’s achievements in his/her extracurricular activities are also a plus point.
- Based on Destination: Some of the government agencies or the Government itself give scholarships to students from a specific country. One example is, New Zealand and UK Governments offering scholarships to students from Commonwealth countries.
- Student Centric: These scholarships are based on students’ cast, gender, religion, family, etc. Some countries and universities also consider scholarships for students with particular medical histories or conditions.
- According to Needs: This scholarship is awarded to students who are financially challenged. This may also require giving proof of the family’s income details and submitting important documents like employment certificates, income proofs, ITRs, etc.
- For Athletes: This one is awarded to the best athletes. This requires students to take part in rigorous training and represent their university at competitions or any tournament.
- For Specific Courses or Subjects: This is eligible for students who want to study specific subjects in a specific university.
Also Read: How to Apply for FAFSA Scholarship?
Top Indian Government Scholarships
Students can take admissions into their dream colleges/universities even if they are short of funds. Here is the list of the Indian Government Schemes to help study abroad aspirants so that they can apply for the one which suits them the best.
Fulbright Nehru Master’s Fellowships
The fellowship does not provide financial support for students. It will provide students with J-1 visa support, round-trip economy class air travel from their home city/country to the host institution in the US, funding for tuition fees, living costs and accident and sickness coverage as per the US guidelines.
National Overseas Scholarships for SC Students
The annual maintenance allowance provided by the scholarship is INR 11 lakhs and 54,400/- for the United States of America (USA) and other countries except for the UK, which is INR 10 lakhs and 37,687/- Equipment allowance and annual contingency are INR 1 lakh and 14,838/- for the USA and other countries and INR 83,655/- for the UK.
Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree
This scholarship provides tuition fees, a monthly allowance and travel costs up to a total of 49,00 euros for the 2-year programme.
Agatha Harrison Memorial Fellowship
Students will be provided with USD 33,143 which will include all the costs like administration charges, travel allowance, stipend amount, college launches etc.
Fullbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
Students will be awarded a monthly stipend, J-1 visa support, an Accident and Sickness program for exchanges per US Government guidelines, round trip economy class air travel between India and the US, a modest settling-in allowance, and a professional amount as well.
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships
The students are provided with J-1 visa support, a monthly stipend, an accident and sickness program for exchanges per U.S Government guidelines, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if applicable.
Students are awarded up to USD 100,000/- to cover tuition fees as well as student living expenses, healthcare and one-way airfare.
Also Read: Scholarships for International Students in the USA
Difference Between Student Loans and Scholarships
The most important difference between student loans and scholarships is that student loans need to be repaid after the successful completion of degrees. They are typically financial aid that a bank or any other financial institution lends to the beneficiary/students based on various factors. Scholarships are awarded to deserving students based on their academic performance.
How to apply for Indian Government Schemes to help Study Abroad Aspirants
The procedure is similar for every Indian Government Scholarship. The steps might differ, but the reference below can be helpful for the students willing to apply for scholarships and get things at a faster pace. Read the common steps mentioned below.
- Search for the official website of the Government Scholarship for studying abroad.
- Check the eligibility criteria, required documents and the deadlines related to the application.
- Students willing to apply for the scholarship must go to the application link provided.
- Open the link provided, and enter the details.
- Attach the required documents (if any).
- Check the date of the results.
- If the students get selected for the scholarship, the administration will reach out.
Students must apply for more than one scholarship. This will make your chances higher to start your study abroad journey as soon as possible. In case you didn’t get selected for the one, you will have the option to wait for the results of another scholarship.
No, some of them have a fixed amount and some of them are fully funded or students may get partial funding. Students must check the nature of their scholarships.
Scholarships are awarded to the students for studying, tuition, etc and Fellowships are usually provided to more experienced, older individuals like the ones holding either a doctoral degree or postgraduate degree with stipends and allowances.
Based on the candidate’s academic records, the candidate may get to study on a fully funded basis as per the university’s schemes that they are applying to. So, students must check for a fully-funded scholarship or financial assistance from the college/university that they are applying to. However, students can also apply to some special public universities which are fully funded given that the students will have to accept some strict conditions to
Merit-based scholarships are based on students’ academic performance. If a student has excellent achievements in his/her extracurricular activities, it is a plus point to get the scholarship they want.
We hope these study abroad Indian Government Scholarships will help you start your study abroad journey!
For more information regarding study abroad exams and institutions, get in touch with Leverage Edu. You can contact us at 1800-572-000 to talk to our experts for all your study abroad queries. Also, do not forget to follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin for regular updates.