World Veterinary Day 2023 will be observed on April 29, 2023. Since 2000, this day is being celebrated on the fourth Saturday of April. It was first observed by the World Veterinary Association (WVA). Another prominent stakeholder engaged in the observance of this day is Global Animal Health Association. Both these organisations promote the veterinary community and impart awareness about animal health and welfare among the general public. To encourage members of WVA in promoting the achievements and concerns of veterinary doctors, the association awards the WVD Award to an eminent member each year.
This Blog Includes:
World Veterinary Day is observed on the fourth Saturday of each year since 2000. This day is celebrated to increase awareness about animal welfare and health. This day was institutionalised by the World Veterinary Association in 2000 to highlight and acknowledge the role of veterinarians at the domestic and international levels. On this international day, the association also imparts awareness about the challenges veterinary professionals face daily. On this occasion, the global veterinary community aims to promote the veterinary profession as a medical science profession.
Also Read: Doctor’s Day 2023
Reasons to Celebrate World Veterinary Day
The WVA celebrates Global Veterinary Day to realise its ideology of the hormonal co-existence of animals and human beings. Here are some of the primary reasons for celebrating this day:
- To bring together the international veterinary community.
- To acknowledge the contribution of veterinary professionals.
- To impart knowledge about the roles and responsibilities of veterinarians.
- To spread awareness about the hindrances in the veterinary profession.
- To promote the significance of animal welfare and health.
- To reframe the global veterinary profession and build a solid and resourceful community of veterinary professionals.
The theme for World Veterinary Day 2023 is “Promoting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness in the Veterinary Profession”. This theme has been announced by the World Veterinary Association and Global Animal Health Association.
Under this theme, the international veterinary community aims to acknowledge and applaud the efforts of veterinary professionals, veterinary associations, and other stakeholders to advocate for equity and fairness in the community. The theme also encourages the removal of barriers in this profession. Keeping in tune with the 2023 theme, the local, national and international lawmakers shall focus on drafting and implementing inclusive policies for the betterment of the veterinary community.
Also Read: World Social Work Day 2023
World Veterinary Day (WVD) Award
On World Veterinary Day, the WVA awards the “WVD Award” to a member of the association who is engaged in activities related to the theme of 2023. Even though the list of 2023 theme-oriented activities is very exhaustive, here are some of the examples of such activities on which the award will be given:
- Organising 2023 theme-based webinars/seminars/workshops for physicians, medical social workers, veterinarians, doctors, and public health workers.
- Recognise and implement practices to promote animal health and welfare.
- Distribute 2023 theme-based materials to raise awareness about the community.
- Take an active part and organise online seminars, public performances, and concerts that promote the theme of 2023.
- Use social media to promote the ideals of international veterinary day 2023.
- Use information platforms like TV, radio, and newspapers to discuss the 2023 theme.
- Acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of a pronounced veterinarian and eminent researcher in realising the 2023 theme.
All the members of the World Veterinary Association are eligible for WVD Award. Any member who has engaged in any activity that promotes the 2023 theme can apply for this award. To file their nomination, members have to fill out the application form, which is available on the official website of the WVA.
The WVA and Global Animal Health Association select the WVD awardee on the below-listed evaluation/selection criteria:
- Contribution toward the International Veterinary Day 2023 theme.
- Achievements in her/their/his projects/activities.
- Inclusion of the general public and related stakeholders in the initiatives.
- Electronic and print media coverage.
- Initiatives to follow up on the initial activity.
Also Read: World Homoeopathy Day
This day is celebrated on the fourth Saturday of April each year. This day was first observed in 2000. In 2023, this international day will be celebrated on 29th April.
This day is celebrated to bring together the international veterinary community, acknowledge the contribution of veterinary professionals, impart knowledge about the roles and responsibilities of veterinarians, and spread awareness about the hindrances in the veterinary profession.
Each year a WVD Award is bestowed upon a member of the WVA who is engaged in activities related to the theme of 2023. Members are required to file a nomination with an application form, which is available on the official website of the WVA. The selection process is done by the Global Animal Health Association and the World Veterinary Association.
To read about other days of national and international importance, keep reading interesting and informative blogs on Wings by Leverage Edu.