Are you ready for the eve of Halloween? Do you what is this event about? Well, the 31st of October is annually celebrated as Halloween Day worldwide. Halloween is celebrated as the eve of the All Saint’s Day of the Western Christian feast. This festival starts with Allhallowtide, the time dedicated to remembering the dead, such as saints, martyrs and all those who departed faithfully. Let’s explore what this day means and how this trick-or-treat event is celebrated.
This Blog Includes:
History of Celebrating Halloween
The origin of Halloween is not clear, but according to one theory, Halloween celebrations are influenced by Celtic harvest festivals (Gaelic festival Samhain), which is associated with pagan roots. Another theory states that Samhain was Christianized as All Hallow’s Day by the early Church.
Today’s scholars believe that Halloween solely started as a Christian holiday, the vigil of All Hallow’s Day. Halloween celebrations were started in Ireland and Scotland, from where the immigrants spread this age-old festival to North America and different European cities.
During the 8th century, Pope Gregory III selected November 1st as a time to honour all saints and martyrs, which later on came to be known as All Saints’ Day. The evening before All Saints’ Day was called All Hallows’ Eve and eventually became Halloween.
Also Read – Festivals in October 2023 in India
As they go trick and treating, children in Western cities dress up as their favourite fictional characters and walk around the neighbourhood with a jack-o’lantern and sweets. Apart from these voluntary activities, several communities and organizations host festive events, costume contests, and themed activities to celebrate the occasion.
Are you excited to participate in Halloween celebrations? You better pick a dress that is according to the theme, food and music associated with this day. Communities organize Halloween parades, festivals, or other events, featuring activities such as costume contests, pumpkin decorating contests, and themed games.
Halloween is a day of fun, creativity and spooky excitement for all. One of the popular Halloween traditions is carving pumpkins into jack-o’-lanterns. People often display these carved pumpkins on their doorsteps or windowsills. Some even set up haunted houses, mazes, or other spooky attractions for people to visit during the Halloween season.
Celebrations of Hallow Day
Started as a harvest festival, in which agricultural fairs, corn mazes, and other autumnal activities are organised, Halloween celebrations have evolved into fun and creative activities.
- In the cities of Mexico and other Latin American countries, the celebration of the Day of the Dead coincides with Halloween. This multi-day celebration is focused on remembering and honouring deceased loved ones through gatherings, offerings, and festivities
- One of the most popular Halloween celebrations is the trick-or-treating activity, in which children dress up in different costumes and go door-to-door in their neighbourhood, receiving candies or other treats from neighbours
- Then there are costume parties in which both children and adults, attend or host Halloween costume parties, often featuring themed decorations, music, and food.
- Another Halloween celebration is the pumpkin carving into jack-o’-lanterns, which are displayed on the doorsteps or windowsills
How You Can Have Spooky Fun on Halloween 2023
Halloween is considered the perfect opportunity to plan spooky fun activities, which you can enjoy with your friends and family. Let’s check out some spooky fun activities for this Halloween:
- Participate in or organise a costume contest, with the scariest, funniest, and most original themes.
- Arrange Halloween-themed games and activities, like bobbing for apples, a mummy wrapping contest, or a Halloween scavenger hunt with clues and treats hidden around your house or backyard.
- Bake Halloween-themed treats like pumpkin pies, spooky cookies, or caramel apples.
- You can even have a decorating station where everyone can add their personal spooky touch to the treats.
List of Halloween Movies & Shows to Binge-Watch This Halloween
You bet there are some amazing movies and TV shows themed on Halloween and horror, filmed in Hollywood, Bollywood and other movie industries. Let’s check some of the Halloween movies and TV shows that you can enjoy this Halloween with your friends and family.
|Movies/ TV Shows||Where to Watch|
|The Hunting of Hill House||Netflix|
|Werewolf by Night||Disney plus Hotstar|
|The Walking Dead||Netflix|
|United Nations Day 2023|
|World Food Day 2023|
|World Post Office Day 2023|
|World Vegetarian Day 2023|
|World Heart Day 2023|
|World Environment Health Day 2023|
|World Alzheimer’s Day 2023|
A1. Halloween Day is celebrated annually on 31st Oct and is a cultural holiday observed in many countries around the world. It has historical roots in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which marked the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter.
A2. Halloween celebrations include activities such as pumpkin carving into jack-o’-lanterns, trick-or-treating activities, costume parties, the celebration of the Day of the Dead, etc.
A3. Halloween is a Christian festival which is celebrated to remember the dead. Since India is a secular country, it has its own festivals. There are no official celebrations for Halloween in India. However, there are several places in India where Halloween is celebrated, which are voluntary.