Primary schooling is the bedrock of an individual’s development. This phase of schooling prepares nascent minds for personal and social life. The availability of quality education during this phase empowers children to become sensitive and sensible adults of tomorrow. The provision of wholesome and comprehensive education to children in primary classes (Classes 1 to 5) will also add to the growth, development, and prosperity of the nation. Teachers or instructors must channelise the energy of a child at this stage and help them explore new interest areas.
This Blog Includes:
Significance of Primary Schooling
The government of India has recognised the importance of primary education in its Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, (RTE) 2009. This Act guarantees free education to children enrolling in primary sections of schools. According to this act, it is the duty of the central, state, and local governments to establish primary schools for children. There is no screening procedure or capitation fee for admission to government schools offering primary education. In addition, the private schools of India also give the utmost importance to students of Classes 1 to 5.
ALSO READ: Modern Education: A Significant Leap Forward
Children exhibit maximum cerebral development in Classes 1 to 5. The importance of primary schooling is as follows:
- Imbibes self-confidence and critical thinking ability among young minds.
- Improves communication and social skills of children.
- Enables them to deal with emotional situations in daily life.
- Make them curious about social surroundings.
- Lays down the foundation of languages and arithmetic in the life of tiny adults.
- Identification of a child’s talent and allow them to realise their talents to their full potential.
- Development of mental and physical abilities of kids of primary classes.
Curriculum of Primary Education
The RTE Act lays down the curriculum for primary education in India. This basic structure is followed by the central government, state board, CICSE, and CBSE schools. The curriculum of primary schools is as follows:
- The academic authority of the school will specify the subjects for each class.
- The exams will be based on the defined curriculum by the affiliated board and school authority.
- Evaluation of children from Classes 1 to 5 will be based on the all-around development of children.
- The medium of instruction must be practicable and easy for the children.
- There should be a continuous and comprehensive evaluation of the knowledge and understanding of young minds.
- Teachers must constantly encourage students to explore their talents and realise their academic potential while safeguarding the mental health and human rights of children.
- Children and parents should have the liberty to raise reasonable queries with teachers and the school authorities.
- Schools must ensure that all the Constitutional rights of parents and children are respected by the stakeholders of the academic institution.
ALSO READ: Grading System in India
Subjects in Primary Schooling
Basic subjects for students of Classes 1 to 5 are the same across all education boards. Important subjects in these classes are:
- Social Science
- Environmental Science
- Basics of Computer
- Arts and Crafts
Top Schools for Primary Schooling in India
There are numerous options for sublime education in India. Given below are some of the eminent schools for primary education in India. These schools are focused on the overall development of tiny humans who can shift mountains if nurtured with care and provided with comprehensive education.
|Schools||Education Board||Location||Type of School|
|The Asian School||CBSE||Dehradun||Co-Ed; Boarding|
|St. Xavier’s Collegiate School||CISCE||Kolkata||Boys; Day|
|Delhi Public School Vasant Kunj||CBSE||New Delhi||Co-Ed; Day-cum-Boarding|
|Delhi Public School RK Puram||CBSE||New Delhi||Co-Ed; Day-cum-Boarding|
|Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul International School||CBSE||Hyderabad||Boys; Day-cum-Boarding|
|Bombay Scottish School||CISCE||Mumbai||Co-Ed; Day|
|St. John’s High School||CBSE||Chandigarh||Boys; Day|
|Sainik School||CBSE||Ghorakhal||Co-Ed; Boarding|
|Greenwood International High School||IB; ICSE; IGCSE||Bangalore||Co-Ed; Day-cum-Boarding|
|Emerald Heights International School||CBSE||Indore||Co-Ed; Day-cum-Boarding|
|The Scindia School||CBSE||Gwalior||Boys; Boarding|
|Scindia Girls||CBSE||Gwalior||Girls; Boarding|
|Mayo College||CBSE||Ajmer||Boys; Boarding|
|Kendriya Vidyalaya||CBSE||All over India||Co-Ed; Boarding|
|Dayanand Arya Vedic Public School (DAV)||CBSE||All over India||Co-Ed; Day|
|Atomic Energy Central School||CBSE||Jamshedpur; Narwapahar||Co-Ed; Day|
|Air Force School||CBSE||Chandigarh||Co-Ed; Day|
|Army Public School||CBSE||Dhilwan||Co-Ed; Boarding|
|Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Cantonment Board Senior Secondary School||CBSE||Delhi||Co-Ed; Day|
|The Shri Ram School||CICSE||Delhi||Co-Ed; Day|
|Jamnabai Narsee School||CICSE||Mumbai||Co-Ed; Day|
|Mallya Aditi International School||CICSE||Bangalore||Co-Ed; Day|
|The Valley School||CICSE||Bangalore||Co-Ed; Day|
|La Martiniere For Boys||CICSE||Kolkata||Co-Ed; Day|
|Hiranandani Foundation School||CICSE||Mumbai||Co-Ed; Day|
Admission Process of Primary Schools in India
To procure admission to Classes 1 to 5, parents must visit the school website and the school to avail the admission brochure. The basic information about the admission procedure of primary classes is as follows:
- Avail the application form for respective classes from the official website of the school or the school office.
- Fill out the application form.
- Submit the required documents and photographs of the child.
- Certain schools, especially private schools, have a written test and an interview round for parents and the child.
- List of selected children is published on the website or put up on the notice board of the school.
- Parents then have to submit the admission fees and other mandatory charges.
ALSO READ: Need & Importance of Education for Growth and Betterment
Fees of Top Primary Classes in India
Parents are recommended to refer to the admission brochure of each school to learn about the exact fee structure of each primary school class. The below-mentioned cost of new admission is subject to change and it varies each academic year.
|Schools||Total Cost for New Admission|
|The Asian School, Dehradun||INR 80,500|
|St. Xavier’s Collegiate School||INR 40,000|
|Mayo College/Mayo College Girl’s School||INR 1.07 lakh|
|Delhi Public School||INR 1.60 lakh|
|Kendriya Vidyalaya||INR 25|
|DAV Public School||INR 15,000|
|Army Public School||INR 50,000 to INR 1 lakh|
|La Martiniere For Boys||INR 1.5 lakh|
|The Scindia School||INR 2 lakh|
|The Shriram School||INR 75,000|
|The Valley School||INR 27,000|
|Hiranandani Foundation School||INR 1.20 lakh|
Ans. Primary schooling empowers children to become sensitive and responsible adults of tomorrow. Kids also learn the basics of languages, arithmetic, social science, science, and computer during Classes 1 to 5.
Ans. Primary education in India is focused on the holistic development of tiny humans. Primary schooling curriculum helps children realise their potential and identify their talents.
Ans. ICSE, CBSE, Central Government, and State Government-affiliated schools are suitable for primary education in India.
Discover top schools in India on Leverage Edu. Follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to get regular updates about the education sector in India.