The full form of PCOD is Polycystic Ovarian Disease, a disease which is seen in females. This disease creates an effect on the monthly menstrual cycle of a female. There are many reasons that can be pointed out as a cause of this disease. PCOD is also known as PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) Read our blog to know about the full form of PCOD, the causes behind this disease, major symptoms, etc!
Also Read- What is the full form of CNC Machine?
Causes of PCOD
PCOD can be caused if there is a combination of hormonal imbalance as well as genetic tendencies. According to many studies, PCOD usually runs in families and can be transferred from generation to generation. Many genes together and not just one leads to the condition.
Another cause behind PCOD is insulin resistance. Almost 70 percent of women with PCOS suffer from insulin resistance, which means that their cells don’t use insulin properly. Insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas, helps humans use sugar from what we eat for the purpose of energy.
However, if cells are not able to use insulin properly, the body will demand insulin levels to increase. This extra amount of insulin can trigger the ovaries to produce excessive male hormones. Obesity can be a major cause of insulin resistance and obesity as well as insulin resistance can lead to a risk for type 2 diabetes.
Symptoms of PCOD
During a normal menstrual cycle, the two female ovaries, each month, alternately release eggs that are mature and ready-to-be-fertilized. Following are the symptoms of PCOD that you must look out for.
- Irregular periods: Due to the lack of ovulation, the uterine lining does not shed every month. Some females suffering from PCOD may get fewer than eight periods a year or even none at all.
- Heavier bleeding than usual: If a female is suffering from PCOD then her uterine lining may have built up for a long period of time. Hence the flow of the periods these females get can be heavier than usual.
- Acne-prone skin: Excessive male hormones can result in females having an oilier skin than usual. This may be the reason behind breakouts in areas like the face, chest, and upper back.
- Excessive hair growth: Excessive hair growth can be seen in more than 70 percent of women suffering from PCOD, including on belly, back and chest.
- Weight gain: Weight gain is one of the most common symptoms one can see of PCOD. Over 80 percent of women who suffer from PCOD are overweight.
- Headaches: Hormone changes can lead to headaches that can range from severe to mind in females.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of REC?
How to Prevent PCOD?
As they say, prevention is always better than cure, here are a few things you can practice in order to mark yourself safe from PCOD. Excersice and try to keep healthy with aiming for a steady weight loss plan. Following a healthy diet and avoiding any junk or processed foods will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Having a healthy lifestyle has proven to be helpful in preventing as well as treating PCOD. Apart from this, making sure that you understand the symptoms and diagnose the disease at an early stage will definitely help in treating this condition.
Popular Full Forms
We hope this blog has helped you understand the full form of PCOD and everything related to it. If you want to know more, find the 300+ full forms list on our blog. In the world of short forms, you can rely on the Leverage edu page to know about more full form like this! Connect with us study abroad experts to achieve your international dream today!