The full form of NCF is National Curriculum Framework. It is a set of guidelines that helps in formulating the education policy in India. It was first initiated in 1988 and thereafter, it has been revised many times. NCF’s latest version was released in 2005. The 2005 version of the National Curriculum Framework is divided into 5 parts:
Part A – Introduction
Part B – Philosophy and Principles of Education
Part C – Learning Processes
Part D – Content and Organization of Curriculum
Part E – Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation
Functions of NCF
Mentioned below are the various functions of the National Curriculum Framework (NCF):
- It encourages global citizenship and international understanding.
- Establishes a broad framework according to which textbooks and teaching/learning materials are developed.
- Sets guidelines for curricular development in schools.
- Sets a basis for the assessment of the learning of students.
- Works towards realising the constitutional goals of education.
- Provides help in order to ensure standardization and harmonisation of school education across states.
- Promotes Nationalism by helping in the development of National Pride, National Integration and National Identity.
Advantages of NCF
There are various merits of the National Curriculum Framework some of which are mentioned below:
- It aids in promoting Nationalism among students.
- The framework established by NCF is quite flexible as it can be modified according to the changing times to fulfil the educational needs of the students.
- NCF encourages the holistic development of children and it also promotes creative & critical thinking among the students.
- It works towards the standardization of education across states so that children receive the same education all over the country.
Disadvantages of NCF
Mentioned below are the drawbacks of the National Curriculum Framework (NCF):
- There is some confusion surrounding the NCF regarding the implementation of the framework.
- The textbooks and syllabus are not uniform across states.
- Lack of trained and qualified teachers that can help in implementing the National Curriculum Framework in schools.
- Due to a lack of resources, NCF is not implemented properly in a lot of schools.
We hope you liked this article, where we tried to cover NCF full form and other important information related to it. For more such informative articles keep following our page.