When it comes to choosing a university for one of the most valued master’s degrees like an MBA, it is essential that students carefully choose the most suitable university if they wish to study abroad. Studying MBA includes a lot more than theoretical knowledge. It goes beyond business and management to personality development, the international business world and many requisite soft skills to build a career in management. To gain a strong ground in these factors, MBA in South Africa is a unique option that cannot be sneezed at. South Africa offers world-class business schools providing an array of MBA programs at affordable costs, multiple amenities, well-designed courses by experts, handsome job placements, and a unique experience. Read more about MBA in South Africa, top programs, fees, requirements and more.
Also Read: Best Country to Study MBA
This Blog Includes:
Why Study MBA in South Africa?
Pursuing an MBA degree is an acclaimed way to enhance your career in any field. While the majority of options have been narrowed to business schools in Western countries, there are many places where MBA programs have bloomed and been developed. Let’s take a look at why you should study your MBA in South Africa:
- With the increasing innovations in technology, design, and careers, South Africa is one of the many places where people focus intensely on innovations and start-up ideas that have taken local and international business effectively.
- This has led to B-schools in South Africa deliver a holistic approach towards business under rigorous training which helps students gain knowledge, have essential business skills like leadership, negotiation, project management, networking, etc.
- While studying for their MBA in South Africa, these students learn from the best faculty, become risk-takers, and many become self-employed due to the need for creative solutions in South Africa.
- Apart from academics, student life in the ‘Rainbow Nation’ is considered comfortable and convenient. Students enjoy good accommodation facilities, public spaces, and multiple activities to rub elbows along with a serene and beautiful environment to escape for a while.
Check Out: Best MBA Colleges in World
Requirements for MBA in South Africa
Apart from the other university-specific requirements, the following are the basic requirements that are considered eligible in South Africa.
- Students are required to submit scores of the GMAT, NMAT, or an entrance exam allotted by the business college/university.
- Students must complete a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, or a postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, or any other equivalent Honours degree from a recognized institute.
- Students require a working experience of 3-4 years (comprehensive resume required).
- Students must be 25 years of age and above (might vary for different universities).
- Applicants must submit an Essay or SOP and also attach 3 LORs.
- Students must be proficient in the English language and provide necessary test scores like IELTS or TOEFL.
Top Universities for MBA in South Africa
With a professional faculty, innovative technologies, and many facilities, MBA in South Africa has its own unique experience. The following universities are globally acclaimed and have been ranked among the top universities in the world for Business Education. They provide academic and practical training following the curriculum for business studies.
|University||QS Global Ranking 2021|
|University of Cape Town GSB||#155|
|University of the Witwatersrand||#201-250|
|University of Kwa-Zulu Natal||#351-400|
|University of Stellenbosch BS||#251–300|
|University of Pretoria GIBS||#601-800|
|UNISA – University of South Africa||#800+|
|Nelson Mandela University Business School||–|
|University of the Free State||–|
|University of Limpopo||–|
How much does MBA cost in South Africa?
The cost of studying MBA in South Africa is considered much cheaper as compared to western countries. The average tuition fee might vary from each university but approximately ranges from 71,000 ZAR to 2,92,728 ZAR (INR 3,64,066- INR14,99,409). Apart from the fees, students can easily find accommodation around the university or on-campus which ranges from 4000 ZAR to 5000 ZAR (INR 20,503- 25,629). Other miscellaneous expenses including food and leisure can cost up to 6,000 ZAR (INR 30,761).
Since the master’s program is known to be the most expensive of other higher education qualifications, there are many available financial aids to study for an MBA in South Africa. Apart from the financial aid given by institutions, the following are the scholarships available for pursuing MBA in South Africa.
|Forte Fellows Program||Partial Funding|
|MTN Scholarships (University Of Capetown)||Partial Funding|
|Education Future International Scholarship||Partial Funding|
Also Read: MBA Scholarships
MBA in South Africa: Core Curriculum
To understand what subjects, skills, and topics are covered while pursuing an MBA in South Africa; it is important to know the core subjects covered in the curriculum designed by different universities. The following are the fundamental subjects that are elaborated on by different universities/ colleges in South Africa depending on their structure.
|Analytical skills||Data analysis |
Analytical methods and decision-making
Business conditions analysis
Management accounting and finance
Research project/research methodology
|Functional Subjects||Human resource management |
Operations management/strategic operations
Supply chain management
|Governance and Law||Corporate governance|
Managing society and future
|Global Outlook||International business|
|Soft skills Development||Business communication |
People management/human capital management
Leadership Change management
Hope this blog helped you find your way around the various requirements and courses if you wish to pursue MBA in South Africa. If you require any assistance with application forms or composing your LOR or SOP, reach out to our team of experts at Leverage Edu who can help you with each step and ensure successful admission to your desired university. Sign up for a free session!