MA Malayalam is a top-rated course in Kerala and is being taught in some of India’s top universities. The entire course is spread over a span of two years when it is done in a full-time mode. One of the reasons for its popularity is because it teaches and covers every aspect of Malayalam and provides an enriching experience to the students pursuing it. If you are an MA Malayalam aspirant and want to get started with it, then this blog is just for you!
This Blog Includes:
MA Malayalam can be completed in two years if done in full-time mode. The speciality of this two-year degree is that it can be done in both full-time or distance learning mode. The admission to this widely opted degree entirely depends on the college and can be classified as merit-based admission and entrance-based admission. It is systematically and logically structured and includes every aspect of the Malayalam language, literature, history, and importance.
MA Malayalam has been structured to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of Malayalam and teach the same values and understandings. It is divided into subjects so that it helps in better understanding of students. Enlisted are the major subjects taught in the MA Malayalam course.
- Ancient and Medieval literature
- Romanticism in Poetry
- Drama and its different aspects
- Modernization in Malayalam literature
Admission to MA Malayalam can either be entrance exam-based or merit-based. Discussed below is the general admission process that will help students pursue this course.
- Few universities conduct their entrance exams. The candidates seeking admission to such universities have to apply and qualify for these entrance exams, opening the doors for studying this course.
- Once the entrance exams are conducted, the universities will shortlist the successful candidates and call the shortlisted candidates for document verification and enrollment.
- Few of the top colleges offer merit-based admission as well. So, the candidates seeking admission to such colleges must immediately apply to the respective college after the admission forms are released.
- The colleges will release a cutoff percentage for the course, and those who fit this criterion will be called for admission.
- The candidates will have to provide documents that prove the marks and eligibility criteria. Once these documents are submitted, then the final enrollment will be done.
There are some prescribed conditions and procedures that each of the admission-seeking candidates must meet to be considered eligible for the MA Malayalam admission process. The eligibility criteria for this degree may vary from college to college. The general eligibility criteria for this course are mentioned below.
- Candidates should have completed graduation, preferably with honours in Malayalam, from a recognized University.
- Candidates should have scored 45-60 per cent aggregate marks in graduation from a recognized university.
- Candidates must possess fluency skills in both written and spoken Malayalam.
- Candidates must have studied Malayalam as a compulsory subject in graduation.
Top Entrance Exams
There are various entrance exams conducted every year that helps candidates get admission to their dream college in this course. These entrance exams are usually conducted at the college level, and so the syllabus for entrance exams may slightly differ from one college to another. Enlisted are the top MA Malayalam Entrance exams:
- AMU Entrance Exam
Each Aligarh Muslim university department conducts this exam for admission to the University’s UG and PG courses. The entrance exams for admission to the postgraduate degree depends on one’s subject knowledge and consists of questions from the undergraduate level topics.
- MGU Entrance Exam
This is one of the famous and most reputed universities in Kerala. This University conducts a standard entrance test and offers admission to all the colleges affiliated with it. Once the exam is conducted and results are out, the seats are allocated to candidates based on their ranks.
- Calicut University Entrance Exam
This reputed University also conducts a university-level entrance exam. This exam offers admission to PG courses offered by the University and its affiliated colleges. Lastly, seats are allocated to candidates through the Centralized admission process. This seat allocation is wholly on the rank secured by the candidate in the entrance exam.
Also Read: MA Punjabi
MA Malayalam consists of four semesters. The syllabus for all four semesters is tabulated below.
The syllabus for semester I of MA Malayalam is tabulated below:
- Ancient and Medieval Literature
- Modern Literature I
- The Culture of Kerala
- Influence of Nationalism in Malayalam Literature
- Kerala Culture Before Kollam Era
- Scientific Kerala
- Performing Arts of Kerala
- Modernization of Kerala
The syllabus for semester II of MA Malayalam is tabulated below:
- Pattu Manipravala/ Ezhuthachan
- Romantic Poetry
- Short Story
- Historic Novel
- Kunchan Nambiar
- Linguistic and Literary Studies
- Translation skills
- Comparative Dravidian
The syllabus for semester III of MA Malayalam is tabulated below:
- Modern Literature II
- Literary Theories
- Subsidiary Language
- Literary Criticism
- Language Planning
- History of Malayalam Language
The syllabus for semester IV of MA Malayalam is tabulated below:
- Modern Poetry
- Media and Literature
- Comparative Literature
- Dramatic Theories
- Grammatical Theories
Top MA Malayalam Colleges
Tabulated below are the top colleges offering MA Malayalam courses.
|Name of the College||Average Annual Fees|
|CMS College||INR 8023|
|Devaswom Board College||INR 3715|
|Catholicate College||INR 3550|
|St. Joseph’s College||INR 5000|
|Fatima Mata National College||INR 3890|
|KKTM Government College||INR 3730|
|Maharaja’s College||INR 5200|
|Deva Matha College||INR 3318|
|Panampilly Memorial Government College||INR 7685|
|Mar Ivanios College||INR 3525|
MA Malayalam: Future Scope
MA Malayalam offers students with in-depth knowledge about Malayalam, thus widening job options to choose from. This course provides numerous self-employment and higher studies options. A few of these options are discussed below.
- Candidates can start writing their blogs and provide others with qualitative information about the Malayalam language.
- They can create their research on Malayalam literature and publish the same.
- They can join a school or a college as a tutor.
- Candidates can take up translation jobs and perform extraordinarily by applying their Malayalam knowledge.
- They can also appear for various government exams.
MA Malayalam is a course for Malayalam lovers who want to learn and build a bonding with this language. It is emerging with every changing day and providing its students with numerous job options. We hope you found this blog helpful. For more details on various such courses, do follow Leverage Edu. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.