Principles of management is an online course that several universities and institutions offer. The course can take up to one month to 9 months to complete depending on the institution. The course will also equip the students with knowledge on how to engage the team’s work to meet the strategic and project goals. Keep reading to know more about the principles of management syllabus, courses, fees, and more.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Principles of Management?
The principles of management online course can be studied for the following reasons
- To gain an in-depth knowledge of the 14 principles of management and how to effectively put them into practice
- The course is flexible and students can learn it according to their time
- Get a certificate and stand out for future employment opportunities
- The course demand less duration and fees to complete
What are the Principles of Management?
Henry Fayol in his book “Administration Industrielle et Geénérale’’ in 1916 listed the principles of management. Henry Fayol’s principles of management put emphasis on managerial skills over technical skills. We now understand it as good management.
- Division of work- Henry Fayol states that the division of work improves the efficiency, productivity, accuracy, and speed of the workers.
- Authority and responsibility- Authority should be given to the managers to make sure that the instructions are carried out by the employees. However, there should be a balance between authority and responsibility.
- Discipline- An organization requires rules, philosophies, and structures that have to be followed by everyone. Discipline makes sure that the organization runs effectively. For this, managers need to create a culture of mutual respect.
- Unity of command- workers should receive orders from one manager to make sure there is a clear chain of command.
- Unity of direction- The employees should work towards one goal under the direction of one manager. There can be sub-managers. However, one person should oversee the whole operation.
- Collective interest over the individual interest-Interest of the team should be given importance over the interest of an individual in an organization.
- Remuneration- Employees have to be given fair wages for their contribution to the organization.
- Centralization – The organization should follow a top-to-bottom approach to management. It will concentrate power in the hands of authority.
- Scalar chain- The workers should know who they should go for command. There should be a clear chain of communication.
- Order- The resources have to be placed in the right place so that it is available at the right time.
- Equity- Kindliness and justice have to be used by managers while interacting with their teams.
- Stability of tenure of personnel- Job security should be provided to the employees who work for the company.
- Initiative – Organizations should encourage employees to take initiative in their work.
- Esprit de Corps – It refers to team spirit. Where there is team spirit employees are more likely to be productive.
Also read- Career in Engineering Management
Principles of Management Course Syllabus
The principles of management course content are divided into the following topics.
|1||Introduction to management- communicating with
direct reports and teams
|2||Making direct reports and teams and influencing
|3||Coach making- high-quality
|4||Strategies, priorities, and projects|
Principles of Management Online Courses
Here is the list of the places where students can learn the 14 principles of management and get a certificate for the same.
|Course name||Course provider||Fees|
|Principles of management by John Hopkins University||Coursera||Free (The certificate might require a nominal fee)|
|Principles of Management||Great Learning||Free|
|Principles of Management online course||The University of North Dakota||INR 3785.12 per credit|
|Principles of Management||Saylor Academy||Free (INR 412 final exam)|
|Principles of Management||Lumen||NA|
Also Read- Marketing Management
Below are the principles of business management books that students can read to understand the course details in a better way.
|Fundamentals of Management||Stephen P. Robbins, David A. Decenzo|
|Essentials of Management||Harold Koontz, O’Donnell, and Heinz Weihrich|
|Principles Of Management||Richard L. Daft|
Also Read- Bachelor of Management or BMS course
Ans. This course cost approximately INR 3,785 to complete. However, students can also complete the course for free from websites such as Great Learning, and Coursera.
Ans. The purpose of studying this course is to help managers to solve diverse problems in a dynamic setting. It also helps managers to take the right decision at the right time.
Ans. The course give an understanding of the evolution of management. It also explains management functions such as organizing, planning, and controlling. The impact of these principles is also discussed as well as the skills and functions of an efficient manager.
The principles of management college courses can be undertaken from popular websites. The course is flexible and not time-consuming. It is also completely online. Need help with study abroad admissions? Call us at 1800 572 000 and book our free 30-minute counseling session today.