TOEFL for Canada Student Visa: Studying in Canada has become a dream for many international students due to its high-quality education system, diverse culture, and excellent opportunities. However, to embark on this academic journey, it’s essential to meet specific requirements, with language proficiency being a key factor. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a vital component in the pursuit of a Canadian student visa. We will walk you through the significance of TOEFL for Canadian student visas, its score requirements, exam structure, fees, and the process of sending scores to Canadian universities.
This Blog Includes:
Why Choose TOEFL for Studying in Canada?
TOEFL is widely recognised and accepted by educational institutions in Canada. Its academic focus ensures that your language skills align with the demands of university-level studies. TOEFL’s comprehensive evaluation of reading, listening, speaking, and writing skills gives institutions a holistic understanding of your English proficiency. Additionally, TOEFL scores hold global recognition, providing flexibility if you plan to study in other countries.
Do You Need TOEFL for a Canadian Student Visa?
Although not a strict requirement for a Canadian student visa, TOEFL plays a significant role in showcasing your language proficiency to both the institution and immigration authorities. While other tests like IELTS and CELPIP are accepted, TOEFL’s academic emphasis makes it relevant for a successful academic journey.
TOEFL Score Requirements and Criteria for a Student Visa in Canada
For a student visa, TOEFL score requirements vary among institutions and programmes. The minimum total score typically ranges from 80 to 100 for undergraduate programmes and 90 to 100 for postgraduate programmes. Your scores must be within the validity period of two years from the test date. Remember, TOEFL scores are just one part of admission; universities may have additional requirements.
TOEFL Exam Structure
The TOEFL exam consists of four sections:
- Reading: Assessing your comprehension of academic texts through multiple-choice questions.
- Listening: Evaluating your ability to understand spoken English in academic contexts.
- Speaking: Measuring your verbal communication skills through tasks like expressing opinions and summarising information.
- Writing: Test your writing abilities by responding to prompts based on reading and listening materials.
TOEFL exam fees vary based on the location and services selected. In India, the fee is Rs. 16,900. This fee covers registration, test administration, and score reporting. Additional services like score review or sending scores to more institutions come at an extra cost.
Why and How to Send TOEFL Scores to Universities in Canada?
Here are some reasons why sending your TOEFL scores to universities in Canada is important:
- Canadian universities primarily use English as the medium of instruction. By sending your TOEFL scores, you provide evidence of your ability to understand and communicate effectively in English, ensuring that you can comprehend lectures, participate in discussions, and complete coursework.
- Many Canadian universities have specific language proficiency requirements for international applicants. By sending your TOEFL scores, you fulfil this requirement and demonstrate your eligibility for admission to your desired programme.
- Including official TOEFL scores with your application adds credibility and authenticity to your language proficiency claims. Admissions committees can trust that your language skills meet the university’s standards.
- Universities use TOEFL scores to evaluate your readiness for academic coursework. Your scores help them gauge whether you have the language skills necessary to excel in your chosen programme.
- Your TOEFL scores are often considered alongside other application materials, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and essays. Strong TOEFL scores can positively impact your overall application and increase your chances of admission.
- Some universities offer English language support programmes for international students. Sending your TOEFL scores may help the university assess whether you would benefit from such programmes, ensuring you have the tools to succeed in your studies.
- Many universities offer scholarships and financial aid to international students. Some scholarship programmes may consider TOEFL scores as part of their evaluation criteria, so strong scores could potentially enhance your chances of receiving financial assistance.
- Sending your TOEFL scores directly to universities ensures that your application is complete and can be processed promptly. Delayed submission of scores might lead to processing delays or even missed application deadlines.
- Sending your scores directly through the TOEFL registration system is a streamlined process. It eliminates the need for you to provide additional documentation or proof of language proficiency separately.
- TOEFL is recognised globally, not just in Canada. If you plan to apply to universities in other English-speaking countries, your TOEFL scores can serve as proof of your language abilities.
Sending TOEFL scores to Canadian universities is a straightforward process:
- Log in to your TOEFL iBT account.
- Choose the “Score Recipient” option and select the universities you want to send scores to.
- Pay the score-sending fee and review your choices.
- Submit your request, and ETS will send your scores to the selected institutions.
Also Read: Top Universities Accepting TOEFL Scores
Yes, TOEFL scores are accepted for Canadian student visas, demonstrating English language proficiency for international students seeking to study in Canada.
Canada recognises both TOEFL and IELTS scores for student visa applications, offering applicants the choice to demonstrate their English language proficiency through either of these globally accepted tests.
Yes, the TOEFL test is now accepted for the Student Direct Stream (SDS) programme, allowing international students enrolling in designated Canadian post-secondary institutions to expedite their study permit processing. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) has confirmed this change.
TOEFL not only helps you secure a visa but also equips you with the language skills needed to excel in your academic journey in Canada. Build a plan with Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and our top trainers to strengthen your English score as well as your application so that you can secure your spot at your dream college.