With cut-throat competition in this buzzing corporate world, anyone without niche skills is not considered worthy of a job. This calls for professionally qualified graduates in management who are willing to administer various tasks and responsibilities. Bachelor of Management Studies or BMS course essentially allows an individual to understand the fundamentals of management and its organizational structure. Let’s have a deeper look at what a bachelor’s degree in Management Studies is like.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)|
|Major Subjects||Principles of Management, Business Statistics, Human Resource Management, Organisational Behaviour, Law and Policy, etc.|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 in any stream; Specific entrance exams organised by universities|
|Employment Areas||Finance and Retailing, Sales and Business Development, Marketing, Self-Employment|
|Job Profiles||Business Development Management, Financial Analyst, Marketing Manager, Business Analyst, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Bachelor of Management Studies or BMS Course?
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Is it Beneficial?
- Necessary Skills for a Career in Management
- BMS Subjects
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Structure and Curriculum
- Eligibility Criteria
- Universities Abroad Offering BMS Course or Its Variants
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Admission Process 2021 in India
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Entrance Exams
- Bachelor of Management: Top Colleges in India
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Advancing Career
- Core Areas to Pursue a Postgraduate Degree in Management
- Job Outlook
- [BONUS] BMS vs BBA
What is a Bachelor of Management Studies or BMS Course?
Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) is a globally recognised 3 or 4 years undergraduate degree designed to concentrate logical and analytical oriented study of management used in corporate firms. The course prepares students to specialize in a wide range of managerial skills for developing efficiency and knowledge required in management professions. The basic principle objective of this course is to expose students to the practical world of management so that they can understand the behaviour of an organisation and its hierarchical functionality.
Bachelor of Management Studies: Is it Beneficial?
As a dynamic and competitive course that offers one exposure to the operational aspects of management, a degree in Bachelor of Management Studies has the following advantages:
- Through this course, students critically understand the merits and complexities of management.
- Students are introduced to emerging trends in the field of management to develop the necessary skills and abilities.
- Theoretical knowledge is combined with practical training thus providing detailed insight to students aspiring to become management professionals.
- There is always a scope for further studies and research.
Necessary Skills for a Career in Management
Bachelor of Management Studies is all about giving comprehensive and practical management training to students by building soft skills that are vital to a career in management. Below is a list of skills that one should possess to become a professional in management studies:
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Understanding the importance of teamwork
- Encouraging leadership and mentorship qualities
- Efficient reasoning, analytical and logical skills
- Self-motivated individual
- Highly dedicated and focused
- Develop creative designs and plans to ensure organisational performance
- Ability to assess and develop performance metrics through feedback
- Strong quantitative aptitude and problem-solving skills
Till 2nd year, the focus is laid on imparting basic theoretical and practical knowledge related to the field. However, Moving towards the final year, students will have an in-depth knowledge of organisational strategy and structure thus expanding your horizons for the business world. Here is a year-wise list of BMS subjects:
|Foundation of Human Skills||Principles of Management 1|
|Introduction to Computers||Business Statistics|
|Business Law||Introduction to Financial Accounts|
|Business Environment||Industrial Law|
|Computer Applications in Business||Export-Import Procedures|
|Introduction to Cost Accounting||Marketing Management|
|Direct & Indirect Taxes||Business Mathematics|
|Principles of Management 2||Environmental Management|
|Human Resource Management||The subject primarily focuses on the company’s job analysis, hiring and recruiting new employees and employee relations.|
|Introduction to Management||In this course, you will learn the management skills which mainly involves leading a particular company, structuring and planning.|
|Organisational Behaviour||This course will make you familiar with the overall behaviour of an organisation, leadership and motivational skills which are essential for the smooth working of an organisation.|
|Organisational Strategy||In this subject of BMS course, you will understand the corporate culture that will help you in your growth in the business landscape. Also, you will learn about the various analytical tools which can be used for organisational development.|
|Law and Policy||Following core ethics and policies of an organisation become a prime responsibility of an employee. Here you will be able to understand what are the legal concepts in any organisation.|
|Economics and Management||This subject deals with the business side of any organisation. You will become familiar with the market structure, pricing and organisational analysis of an organisation.|
Note: These subjects can vary from one university to another.
Bachelor of Management Studies: Structure and Curriculum
The structure and curriculum of a BMS course allow students to enhance their leadership qualities along with decision-making capabilities in order to manage and work in a team. The major subjects include HR Management, Accounting, Finance, Organisational Behaviour, Business Laws, etc. along with some optional subjects, which may vary from one university to another.
- Foundation of Human Skills
- Financial Accounts
- Business Law
- Business Statistics
- Business Communication
- Industrial Law
- Business Mathematics
- Business Environment
- Principles of Management
- Management Accounting
- Entrepreneurship Management
- Strategic Management
- Information Technology in Business Management
- Information Technology in Banking and Insurance
- Environmental Management
- Marketing Management
- Marketing Communication
- Human Resource Management
- Productivity and Quality Management
- Cooperatives & Rural Markets
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Ethics and Governance
- Sales and Distribution Management
- Public Relations Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Industrial Relations
- Risk Management
- International Finance
- Media Planning and Management
- Organizational Development
- International Marketing
In order to pursue a BMS course or its variant in India, you need to complete 10+2 in Commerce, Arts, or Science stream from a recognised board of education. Apart from this, you will have to clear the competitive exams as specified by the university you wish to apply. However, some also take admissions based on merit.
To pursue a BMS course abroad, apart from clearing 10+2, you also need to score a minimum percentile (varies from one university to another) in English proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. Letters of Recommendation (LORs), SOP, Marksheets, etc form other components of the admission process.
Universities Abroad Offering BMS Course or Its Variants
A Bachelor’s degree in Management Studies is awarded across the world under different names, like the Bachelor of Business Management (BBM) in the US, Business Management B.A. (Hons) or B.Sc. (Hons) Management in the UK. Some of the top universities for this course are:
|Michigan State University||Bachelor of Arts in Accounting||4 Years||USA|
|Auckland University of Technology||Bachelor of Business Accounting (Major)||3 years||New Zealand|
|RMIT University||Bachelor of Analytics||3 years||Australia|
|Northumbria University||Bachelor in Accounting||4 years||UK|
|Maryville University||B. S. in Business Administration||4 years||USA|
|Robert Gordon University||Bachelor in Accounting and Finance||4 Years||UK|
|Pace University||BBA in International Management.||4 years||USA|
|University of Alberta||Bachelor of Management in Business Economics||4 years||Canada|
|University of Toronto||Bachelor of Business Administration||4 years||Canada|
|The University of British Columbia||Bachelor of Commerce and Marketing||4 years||Canada|
|York University||Bachelor of Business Administration||4 years||Canada|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Bachelor of Science in Management Science||4 years||USA|
Bachelor of Management Studies: Admission Process 2021 in India
The admission process to qualify for the Bachelor of Management Studies programme, candidates need to fulfil certain criteria. They are mentioned below.
- Candidates have to apply and qualify the entrance exam UGAT
- Certain colleges and universities have a way of providing direct admission if the candidates match the merit list and eligibility criteria
Bachelor of Management Studies: Entrance Exams
To study the Bachelor of Management Studies course candidates entrance exams are conducted either by the university or separately by the college. This is done to screen students whether they meet the required merit or not. The marks of class 12 examinations are also considered.
- AIMA UGAT: The All India Management Association (AIMA) conducts the UGAT to test candidates if they are eligible to study various courses, Bachelor of Management Studies being one of them.
- DU JAT: The Delhi University conducts the DU JAT exam for admission in various courses, Bachelor of Management Sciences being one of them.
- MUCMET: The Mumbai University Common Management Entrance Test (MUCMET) is conducted every year so that candidates can apply for admission in the integrated BMS+MBA course, which is offered at Mumbai’s Thane Sub Campus.
Bachelor of Management: Top Colleges in India
Tabulated below are the top colleges in India offering Bachelor of Management course.
|Name of College/ University||Location|
|Indian Institute of Management||Bangalore|
|Indian Institute of Management||Ahmedabad|
|Indian School of Business||Hyderabad|
|Indian Institute of Management||Lucknow|
|Faculty of Management Studies||New Delhi|
|Indian Institute of Management||Kozhikode|
|Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai|
Bachelor of Management Studies: Advancing Career
Fresh graduates willing to further explore the field of management in a specific specialization can opt for any of the following courses:
- Master of Management Studies
- Master of Business Studies
- Master of Management
- Master of Financial Management
- Master of Human Resources Development Management
- Master Degree in Marketing Management
- Ph.D. in Management Studies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management Courses
- Post Graduate Certificate in Management Courses
- CA or CS
- Master of Management Studies (MMS)
- Masters in Management (MIM)
- PG Diploma in Financial Management
- PG Diploma in International Business Management
- MBA in Retail Management
- MBA in Quality Management
- MBA in General Management
Core Areas to Pursue a Postgraduate Degree in Management
- Administration and Operations
- Human Resource Management and Development
- Project Management (Executive Level)
- Enterprise Management
- Customer Management
- Sales and Marketing
- Financial Management
- Data Management and Systems Analysis
- Communications Management
There are certain job profiles which ask for people with the required qualifications as well as practical skills. Some of the job profiles that you can explore after this course are:
Prime Recruiters that Hire Management Graduates
- Multinational Companies
- Industrial Houses
- Business Consultancies
- Marketing Organisations
- Finance and Retail Firms
- Corporate Houses
- Academic Institutions
Major Job Profiles in Management
- Assistant Manager
- Project Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Business Development Executives
- Sales and Marketing Executives
- Marketing Coordinator
- Quality Specialists
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- Trainer or Human Resources
- Account Manager
- Teachers and Lectures
- Assistant Professor
Salary Prospects After BMS
Completing a bachelor’s degree in Management like BMS can help you avail entry-level managerial profiles in reputed organisations around the world. BMS graduates generally get a salary package of around 3 LPA to 8 LPA (indicative) but it can massively differ as per the profile and company you have opted for. Further, extensive professional experience, internships and training and a globally accredited degree can further expand your career horizons and help you achieve a higher salary package as well.
[BONUS] BMS vs BBA
|Parameters||Bachelors of Management Studies||Bachelor of Business Administration|
|Orientation||Logic oriented and analytical studies||Application and study of basic management core subjects|
|Average Fees||INR 1-2 lakhs||INR 1-3 lakhs|
|Course Overview||The subjects taught in this course impart management skills with the help of practicals and classroom training||This course provides students with essential knowledge in fields of Finance, Human Resources, Operations, Marketing, etc|
|Top Colleges||Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, St Xaviers||Madras Christian College, Christ University, Loyola College|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-4 lakhs per annum||INR 2-5 lakhs per annum|
If you want to study the BMS course from the University of Delhi, then you have to clear the DU JAT exam. Apart from this, you can also give the AIMA UGAT exam which opens the gateway to pursuing this course from academic institutes accepting AIMA scores.
BMS and BBA are management courses. While BBA lays emphasis on theoretical aspects, the BMS course encompasses both theory and practical components.
Hence, Bachelor of Management Studies is a course created with versatile applications to equip students with the necessary skill set required in the field of management. If you are seeking the right university and course for a bachelor of management studies, let the experts at Leverage Edu guide you through the journey of getting selected to your dream business school.