With cut-throat competition in this buzzing corporate world, anyone without niche skills is not considered worthy of a job. This calls for professionally qualified graduates in management who are willing to administer various tasks and responsibilities. A Bachelor of Management Studies or BMS course essentially allows an individual to understand the fundamentals of management and its organizational structure. Let’s have a deeper look at what a bachelor’s degree in Management Studies is like.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)|
|Major Subjects||Principles of Management, Business Statistics, Human Resource Management, Organisational Behaviour, Law and Policy, etc.|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 in any stream; Specific entrance exams organised by universities|
|Employment Areas||Finance and Retailing, Sales and Business Development, Marketing, Self-Employment|
|Job Profiles||Business Development Management, Financial Analyst, Marketing Manager, Business Analyst, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS Course)?
- Why Pursue BMS Course?
- Who Should Study Bachelor of Management Studies?
- Skills Required for a Career in Management
- Types of Bachelor of Management Studies Courses
- BMS Syllabus
- Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor of Management Studies Universities Abroad
- Admissions Process Abroad 2022
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Admission Process 2022 in India
- Application Deadlines
- Bachelor of Management Studies: Career Options
- Fields to Pursue a Postgraduate Degree in Management
- Job Outlook
- [BONUS] BMS Course vs BBA
- Bachelor of Management Studies in Canada
- Bachelor of Management Studies Colleges in Bangalore
- Bachelor of Management Studies Colleges in Delhi
What is a Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS Course)?
Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) is a globally recognised 3 or 4 years undergraduate degree designed to concentrate on the logical and analytical-oriented study of management used in corporate firms. The course prepares students to specialize in a wide range of managerial skills for developing the efficiency and knowledge required in management professions. The basic principle objective of this course is to expose students to the practical world of management so that they can understand the behaviour of an organisation and its hierarchical functionality.
Why Pursue BMS Course?
As a dynamic and competitive course that offers one exposure to the operational aspects of management, a degree in Bachelor of Management Studies has the following advantages:
- Through this course, students critically understand the merits and complexities of management
- Students are introduced to emerging trends in the field of management to develop the necessary skills and abilities
- Theoretical knowledge is combined with practical training thus providing detailed insight to students aspiring to become management professionals
- There is always a scope for further studies and research
Who Should Study Bachelor of Management Studies?
- This Bachelor of Management Studies is open to anybody with an interest in business or management.
- After high school, students might choose to enrol in a Bachelor of Management Studies programme if they have the necessary leadership qualities, teamwork spirit, and good
- communication skills.
- This course is also available to those who want to pursue an MBA or other equivalent programme after their undergraduate degree.
- Candidates with business startup aspirations may also select the Bachelor of Management Studies option.
Skills Required for a Career in Management
Bachelor of Management Studies is all about giving comprehensive and practical management training to students by building soft skills that are vital to a career in management. Below is a list of skills that one should possess to become a professional in management studies:
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Understanding the importance of teamwork
- Encouraging leadership and mentorship qualities
- Efficient reasoning, analytical and logical skills
- Self-motivated individual
- Highly dedicated and focused
- Develop creative designs and plans to ensure organisational performance
- Ability to assess and develop performance metrics through feedback
- Strong quantitative aptitude and problem-solving skills
Types of Bachelor of Management Studies Courses
Candidates may choose from a variety of Bachelor of Management programmes depending on their needs and time constraints.
Full-time BMS is a three-year undergraduate programme that is available nationwide at a number of universities and schools. The goal of the course is to prepare future managers and business owners who have all the necessary abilities to run a successful company.
A number of universities also provide part-time BMS, which exempts enrolled students from mandatory attendance requirements. Working-class people or students who can’t commit to the study full-time might consider a bachelor of management studies.
One Year BMS
For the working class or those who are currently operating their own firms and want to improve their knowledge and skills for the same, certain institutions or universities offer one-year management courses.
Any university, institution, or college, whether in India or overseas, can offer BMS courses. Candidates have the option to complete the course online from any location using a variety of digital devices. Although it may vary depending on the institution one is applying to, admission is often offered on a first-come, first-served basis. The training is best suited for those who are too busy with their current jobs or businesses to dedicate the necessary time. Additionally, taking a BMS course online gives you the chance to go outside of your home country and gain exposure to other cultures. Building stronger business networks globally is another benefit of a bachelor’s degree in management studies.
Till 2nd year, the focus is laid on imparting basic theoretical and practical knowledge related to the field. However, Moving towards the final year, students will have an in-depth knowledge of organisational strategy and structure thus expanding their horizons for the business world. Here is a year-wise list of BMS subjects:
|Foundation of Human Skills||Principles of Management 1|
|Introduction to Computers||Business Statistics|
|Business Law||Introduction to Financial Accounts|
|Business Environment||Industrial Law|
|Computer Applications in Business||Export-Import Procedures|
|Introduction to Cost Accounting||Marketing Management|
|Direct & Indirect Taxes||Business Mathematics|
|Principles of Management 2||Environmental Management|
|Human Resource Management||Organisational Behaviour|
|Introduction to Management||Organisational Strategy|
|Organisational Behaviour||Law and Policy|
|Organisational Strategy||Economics and Management|
Note: These subjects can vary from one university to another.
To pursue a BMS course abroad, apart from clearing 10+2, you also need to score a minimum percentile (which varies from one university to another) in English proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. Letters of Recommendation (LORs), SOP, Marksheets, etc form other components of the admission process.
In order to pursue a BMS course or its variant in India, you need to complete 10+2 in Commerce, Arts, or Science stream from a recognised board of education. Apart from this, you will have to clear the competitive exams as specified by the university you wish to apply to. However, some also take admissions based on merit.
BMS Course DU Eligibility
- The candidates should have qualified for the Senior Secondary School Examination of CBSE or any other examination considered equivalent by the University of Delhi
- The General Category candidates should secure an aggregate of at least 60% marks in their XII class examination in four papers including English, Mathematics and other two subjects from the list of elective subjects as approved by the University of Delhi
- The minimum percentage of marks for OBC is 54%, for SC & ST pass marks in qualifying examination, for PwD 55%, for CW 55%. Other conditions are the same as for the General Category
Bachelor of Management Studies Universities Abroad
A Bachelor’s degree in Management Studies is awarded across the world under different names, like the Bachelor of Business Management (BBM) in the US, Business Management B.A. (Hons) or B.Sc. (Hons) Management in the UK. Some of the top universities for this course are:
- Harvard University, USA
- INSEAD, France
- London Business School, UK
- Stanford University, USA
- MIT, USA
- Bocconi University, Italy
- University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Universtiy of Cambridge, UK
- University of Oxford, UK
- HEC Paris School of Management, France
Admissions Process Abroad 2022
Here are the simple steps you may follow for seeking admission to a university abroad-
- Begin by shortlisting the best match university and your preferred study destination
- Once you have selected the institution you want to join, check what are the academic requirements for the BMS Course
- Qualify all the necessary entrance exams before filling out the application form for the course
- After receiving the required scores, you are all set to fill out the application form
- After you receive the acceptance letter, you are all set to apply for a visa
- As soon as you get your visa for the country, go on and book your tickets for the academic adventure
Bachelor of Management Studies: Admission Process 2022 in India
In the admission process to qualify for the Bachelor of Management Studies programme, candidates need to fulfil certain criteria. They are mentioned below.
- Candidates have to apply and qualify for the entrance exam UGAT
- Certain colleges and universities have a way of providing direct admission if the candidates match the merit list and eligibility criteria
Bachelor of Management Studies: Entrance Exams
To study the Bachelor of Management Studies course candidates entrance exams are conducted either by the university or separately by the college. This is done to screen students whether they meet the required merit or not. The marks of class 12 examinations are also considered.
- AIMA UGAT: The All India Management Association (AIMA) conducts the UGAT to test candidates if they are eligible to study various courses, Bachelor of Management Studies being one of them.
- DU JAT: The Delhi University conducts the DU JAT exam for admission in various courses, Bachelor of Management Sciences being one of them.
- MUCMET: The Mumbai University Common Management Entrance Test (MUCMET) is conducted every year so that candidates can apply for admission in the integrated BMS+MBA course, which is offered at Mumbai’s Thane Sub Campus.
The deadlines for the top 3 entrance exams conducted for the Bachelor of Management Studies are mentioned below-
|Exam name||Registration||Exam Date|
|DU JAT||August 2022||September 2022|
|MUCMET||1st week of May 2022||3rd week of May 2022|
|AIMA UGAT||2nd week of January 2022||2nd week of January 2022|
|CUET||April 2, 2022, to April 30, 2022||To be Announced|
Bachelor of Management: Top Colleges in India
Tabulated below are the top colleges in India offering Bachelor of Management courses.
|Name of College/ University||Location|
|Indian Institute of Management||Bangalore|
|Indian Institute of Management||Ahmedabad|
|Indian School of Business||Hyderabad|
|Indian Institute of Management||Lucknow|
|Faculty of Management Studies||New Delhi|
|Indian Institute of Management||Kozhikode|
|Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai|
Bachelor of Management Studies: Career Options
Fresh graduates willing to further explore the field of management in a specific specialization can opt for any of the following courses:
- Master of Management Studies
- Master of Business Studies
- Master of Management
- Master of Financial Management
- Master of Human Resources Development Management
- Master’s Degree in Marketing Management
- PhD in Management Studies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management Courses
- Post Graduate Certificate in Management Courses
- CA or CS
- Master of Management Studies (MMS)
- Masters in Management (MIM)
- PG Diploma in Financial Management
- PG Diploma in International Business Management
- MBA in Retail Management
- MBA in Quality Management
- MBA in General Management
Fields to Pursue a Postgraduate Degree in Management
- Administration and Operations
- Human Resource Management and Development
- Project Management (Executive Level)
- Enterprise Management
- Customer Management
- Sales and Marketing
- Financial Management
- Data Management and Systems Analysis
- Communications Management
There are certain job profiles which ask for people with the required qualifications as well as practical skills. Some of the job profiles that you can explore after this course are:
- Multinational Companies
- Industrial Houses
- Business Consultancies
- Marketing Organisations
- Finance and Retail Firms
- Corporate Houses
- Academic Institutions
Major Job Profiles in Management
- Assistant Manager
- Project Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Business Development Executives
- Sales and Marketing Executives
- Marketing Coordinator
- Quality Specialists
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- Trainer or Human Resources
- Account Manager
- Teachers and Lectures
- Assistant Professor
Salary After BMS Course
Completing a bachelor’s degree in Management like BMS can help you avail yourself entry-level managerial profiles in reputed organisations around the world. BMS graduates generally get a salary package of around 3 LPA to 8 LPA (indicative) but it can massively differ as per the profile and company you have opted for. Further, extensive professional experience, internships and training and a globally accredited degree can further expand your career horizons and help you achieve a higher salary package as well.
[BONUS] BMS Course vs BBA
|Parameters||Bachelors of Management Studies||Bachelor of Business Administration|
|Orientation||Logic-oriented and analytical studies||Application and study of basic management core subjects|
|Average Fees||INR 1-2 lakhs||INR 1-3 lakhs|
|Course Overview||The subjects taught in this course impart management skills with the help of practicals and classroom training||This course provides students with essential knowledge in the fields of Finance, Human Resources, Operations, Marketing, etc|
|Top Colleges||Narsee Monjee College of Commerce & Economics, St Xaviers||Madras Christian College, Christ University, Loyola College|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-4 lakhs per annum||INR 2-5 lakhs per annum|
Bachelor of Management Studies in Canada
Here are the universities in Canada offering BMS courses-
- University Canada West
- Yorkville University
- Trinity Western University
- University of Prince Edward Island
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Westford University College
- Fanshawe College
- Georgian College
- St. Francis Xavier University Gerald Schwartz School of Business
- Université de Hearst
Bachelor of Management Studies Colleges in Bangalore
- Indian School of Business Management and Administration
- Sunstone Eduversity – RR Institutions
- IIM Bangalore
- Alliance School of Business, Alliance University
- Indian Institute of Science
- Christ University
- Pearl Academy, Bangalore
- Jain Deemed-to-be University
- Suresh Gyan Vihar University
- Indian Institute of Plantation Management
Bachelor of Management Studies Colleges in Delhi
- Jamia Hamdard
- Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies
- University of Delhi
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya
- College of Vocational Studies
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College
- Ramanujan College
- Shaheed Rajguru College of Applied Science for Women
- Aryabhatta College
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce
If you want to study the BMS course from the University of Delhi, then you have to clear the DU JAT exam. Apart from this, you can also give the AIMA UGAT exam which opens the gateway to pursuing this course from academic institutes accepting AIMA scores.
BMS and BBA are management courses. While BBA lays emphasis on theoretical aspects, the BMS course encompasses both theory and practical components.
Hence, Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS Course) is a course created with versatile applications to equip students with the necessary skill set required in the field of management. If you are seeking the right university and course for a bachelor of management studies, let the experts at Leverage Edu guide you through the journey of getting selected to your dream business school.