By identifying, diagnosing, and treating the rising number of ocular problems from the chronic illnesses and ailments that millions of Australians experience, optometry graduates help improve the health of the community. If you are seeking to build a career in optometry, then Australia can be an ideal place to do so. Numerous prestigious universities are offering optometry courses Australia. A degree in optometry will enable you to fulfil Australia’s rising demand for eye care. The course equips you with the professional qualities and abilities necessary for professional practice, enabling you to provide person-centred care that is both safe and responsive. Keep reading this blog to learn about the optometry courses Australia in full detail.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Optometry Courses Australia?
- Top Optometry Courses in Australia for UG and PG
- Eligibility for Optometry Courses Australia
- Application Process for Optometry Courses Australia
Why Study Optometry Courses Australia?
A growing number of Indian students are choosing to study in Australia because of the country’s top-notch education, plentiful post-study employment possibilities, and high standard of life. You may be confident of unmatched academic achievement and an excellent support system for international students, regardless of the subject you choose to enrol in.
Here are some of the main reasons why you should study Optometry Courses Australia:
Graduates can benefit from strong employment rates and a variety of job options in the commercial industry, government, not-for-profit sector, and other agencies. You could work as a private optometrist in a hospital or community setting, or you could consider a career in academics or research.
Rights for International Students
When it comes to implementing rights and protecting consumers, Australia is unbeatable. For students from other countries, it offers the strictest consumer protection. All programs offered to international students adhere to strict government rules in accordance with the Australian Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000.
Quality of Life
Australia draws a lot of students from around the world to pursue higher education there. Australia has an unmatched overall standard of living because of its top-notch infrastructure, first-rate medical and healthcare facilities, robust network of modern transit systems, and fairly priced housing.
Easy to Work
All students from India who have subclass 500 visas are permitted to work 20 hours per week and full-time on weekends. After finishing your studies, you can also apply for a subclass 485 temporary graduate visa, which will allow you to stay and continue studying or working in Australia. When you decide to study in Australia, you choose a welcoming workplace culture and outstanding industry experience.
Internationally accredited qualifications
Australian universities are famous for their research and training approaches, and Australian credentials are widely recognised. Seven Australian institutions routinely place in the top 100 of the QS World Ranking and Times Higher Education Rankings, demonstrating the intellectual superiority of their teaching pedagogy.
Top Optometry Courses in Australia for UG and PG
A degree in Optometry from a university in Australia is required to practice as an optometrist in Australia, New Zealand, and several regions of Asia. Here are some of the top UG and PG courses in Australia:
|Course||Offered By||Duration||Average Annual Tuition Fees|
|Bachelor of Health Sciences (Vision Science) / Master of Optometry||Flinders University||5 Years Full Time||AU$40,400|
|Bachelor of Vision Science/Master of Clinical Optometry||UNSW Sydney – University of New South Wales||5 Years Full Time||AU$48,470|
|Master of Optometry||University of Canberra||2 Years Full Time||AU$41,000|
|Master of Clinical Optometry||The University of Melbourne||2 Years Part Time||AU$12,784|
|Master of Optometry||Queensland University of Technology (QUT)||2 Years Full Time||AU$34,300|
Also Read: Short-term Courses in Finance – 2023 List
Eligibility for Optometry Courses Australia
While the admission criteria differ as per the universities, the general eligibility requirements for Optometry Courses are as follows:
- The student needs to meet the following English language requirements: IELTS: 7.0 overall (min. 6.0 in each subtest); Pearson (PTE – Academic): 65 overall (min. 54 in each subtest); TOEFL IBT (Internet Based): 94 overall (min. 25 in writing, 23 in reading, listening and speaking); UNSW Global University English Entry Course (UEEC): B, Writing C; C1 Advanced Cambridge: 185 overall (min. 169 in each subtest); C2 Proficiency Cambridge: 185 overall (min. 180 in each subtest).
- Students need to have scored at least 65% or above in class 12.
- The applicants are also required to submit the following documents:
- Completely Filled Application Form,
- Photo Copies of the first and last pages of your passport,
- Job Experience Certificates (If available),
- Medium of Instruction (MOI),
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Exam Score Xerox,
- Academic Certificates (SSC, Inter, Bachelor’s, etc.), and
- Any Other Documents.
Application Process for Optometry Courses Australia
The admissions process for optometry courses Australia may be confusing for students. Fortunately, Leverage Edu can help you speed up the process a lot.
We can help you in the following ways with your application:
- Using our AI Course Finder, you may select the course you want to take.
- Then, on your behalf, Leverage Edu’s professionals will start the application process for the university of your choosing.
- Your application must include essays, TOEFL, SOPs, LORs, TOEFL, IELTS, and other papers. As a result, be sure to gather and prepare the required paperwork.
- Our professionals will start your application for housing, scholarships, and student loans as soon as you submit your application and the necessary paperwork.
- Await the arrival of your offer letter, which ought to be received in 4-6 weeks.
Optometrists are essential in the early detection of potentially dangerous eye problems like glaucoma, age-related maculopathy, and cataracts, as well as general health issues like diabetes and hypertension. As they play a crucial role in the society, the optometrists enjoy a great career.
The popular job profiles along with their average salary in Australia in the domain of optometry are listed below:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
Ans. Depending on the university you enrol in, you will need to finish a university degree between 3.5-7 years if you are thinking about a future in optometry.
Ans. According to the evidence, there are currently enough practising optometrists nationwide to meet community demand for services. However, if key determining factors remain unchanged, there is likely to be a significant excess supply of full-time equivalent optometrists in the coming decades.
Ans. In India and abroad, the possibilities are endless. An optometrist can work for a variety of organisations, including Bausch & Lomb, Titan Eye Plus, Lenskart, and others, which may offer a competitive compensation package. You might even open your own optical store or clinic.
So, this was all about the optometry courses Australia. Many Indian students dream of pursuing education in foreign nations due to the exposure and career growth they offer. Consider joining a free counselling session with Leverage Edu if you plan to study abroad.