The Pearson Test of English or PTE Academic exam is an English proficiency examination for applicants applying to foreign universities, where English is the major language of instruction. Candidates will be delighted to hear that Pearson PLC Group, the organization in charge of administering the PTE-A exam, has introduced PTE at Home. Candidates who wish to enrol for the PTE test can read this article to prepare themselves for the exam in an effective way.
|Exam name||Pearson Test of English Academic|
|Level of exam||University Level Exam|
|Duration of exams||3 Hours|
This Blog Includes:
Preparation Tips PTE-A Reading Section
One of the most popular English language exams for applicants seeking to study abroad is the PTE-A, which is short-term for the Pearson Test of English – Academic. The reading section is one of the most vital sections. The key to scoring well in the PTE Reading section of the PTE Academic is reading, fluency, attention, and understanding. When taking the test, you will use these abilities promptly, but during practice, you must acquire them gradually.
Also Read: 5 Steps to Prepare for PTE at Home
Bonus Tips for the PTE-A Reading Section
- Increase your vocabulary
- Keep technicalities in mind
- For the Reading section, effective time management is essential.
- Significant importance is given to grammar in this section.
- Choose an elimination approach to finding answers quickly.
Below we have provided some tips for handling each specific question type in the reading section:
Type -1 Questions: MCQ with Single Answer
- To find the correct response, focus on keywords and comprehend the passage’s main point. Focus on the terms that occur frequently, then reject all those possibilities to arrive at the appropriate answer.
- Answer the question; do not leave it unanswered because there is no negative mark for this question.
- Use the technique of elimination. Limit your alternatives as much as you can.
- To know what information to search for, read the question before reading the text.
- The first or last two lines of the paragraph include 60% of the answers.
- The questions will not be addressed in chronological sequence, so pay attention to the material in the passage. You can find the answer anywhere within the passage.
- Learn to paraphrase by using alternative words to communicate the same information.
Type -2 Questions: MCQ with Multiple Answer
Read to find out what the question expects of you in terms of an answer.
Check each option provided, and start eliminating options.
If you are unsure about any of the options, don’t choose them because this question carries a negative marking. If you’re unsure, skip it.
Type – 3 Questions: Rearrange paragraphs
Read all the available options. Analyze the thesis. Delete the selected statement, then join it to the subsequent logical statement. Repeat the procedure once more to get a clear answer. Each logical pair only receives one mark, so keep that in mind. Each question carries four marks in total. Do not forget to proofread your response.
Type – 4 Questions: Fill in the blanks
You may quickly identify the answer for Fill in the Blanks by reading the sentences just after the dash or the blanks. Find out the definitions of terms you are unfamiliar with when you are practising.
Read the content first, and then consider your options. If you follow grammar rules, you may quickly get the answer to questions. Answer the simpler questions first. Don’t forget to proofread the passage.
PTE-A Application process
Candidates can find the PTE 2023 application form on the official website. Candidates must first register for a Pearson VUE account on the organization’s website in order to apply for the PTE Academic 2023 exam. Candidates must register first, complete the application, and then pay to take the test. Candidates must adhere to the detailed instructions listed below in order to avoid errors in their applications.
- Visit the official website.
- On the homepage, click the ‘Register now’ tab.
- Click the ‘Apply’ button next to the specified course.
- Register for a new account.
- After registering successfully, a login ID and password will be generated, which must be saved for future access.
- Candidates must log in using their login credentials after successfully registering.
- Complete the forms with your name, date of birth, gender, address, and other details.
- Select your preferred test centre and exam date for PTE academic test.
- Upload all essential documents, including the candidate’s photo and signatures.
- Pay the required application fees in online mode.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button.
PTE-A Application fees
PTE applicants may use any of the accepted online payment options to pay the reduced registration price of INR 14,700 inclusive of taxes.
Visa debit cards and credit cards, as well as JCB and MasterCard, can be used to pay the PTE exam registration fees. After payment has been received, an email specifying the exam date, time, and place will be sent to the registered email address within 48 hours. The acknowledgement receipt for candidates is available as a physical copy which the candidate may obtain for reference purposes.
Below we have provided a topic-by-topic breakdown of the PTE test 2023 syllabus. There are a total of 4 sections. Candidates who want to finish their preparation on time must thoroughly review the syllabus and begin making a study timetable.
PTE Writing & Speaking
- Read Out loud
- Repeating Sentence
- Description of Image
- Retell Lecture
- Solve Short Questions
- Summarize Given Text
- Essay writing
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Select One Answer
- Rearrange paragraphs
- Fill in the Blanks
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer
- Fill in the Blanks
- Mark Correct Summarization
- Multiple Choice, Single Answer
- Choose a Missing Word
- Identify Incorrect Words
- Dictation to Writing
The organising body has not outlined any official eligibility requirements or qualifying standards. However, the age restriction for candidates is what defines the eligibility, and it is as follows.
- The candidate must be at least 16 years old.
- In order to take the test, an applicant who is under the age of 18 must present proof of their parent’s approval.
PTE-A Exam pattern
Writing, speaking, reading, and listening skills are evaluated in the PTE Academic 2023 exam. Writing and speaking are merged into one section for the PTE 2023 exam, whereas reading and listening are conducted separately. All test takers are evaluated using their overall PTE Academic exam score. The total exam duration for the PTE Academic 2023 computer-based exam is two hours and fifteen minutes. Candidates must use a computer and headphones to listen to, read, and respond to the questions.
|Sections||Total Questions||Total duration|
|PTE Writing & Speaking||Total questions 28 to 36||54 mins to 67 mins|
|PTE Reading||Total questions 13 to 18||29 mins to 32 mins|
|PTE Listening||Total questions 12 to 20||30 mins to 42 mins|
For more such updates on the PTE 2023 exam and related topics, keep an eye on the official website of Leverage Edu, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter for up-to-date information.