B.Des Interior & Space Design is a four-year undergraduate programme that focuses on providing professional training in the development of creative interior design solutions through project-based learning. Aspirants in this programme will learn to design by completing a variety of design briefs ranging from conceptual to real-life situations. Students will also be given technical tools such as AutoCAD, hand-drawing, and model-making, as well as verbal presentation skills.
Through award-winning practitioners serving as tutors, the programme provides students with real-world experience and insight into career options. Furthermore, it provides the opportunity for students’ projects to be promoted in prominent public settings. Students will be able to conceptualise and develop designs after completing the programme, thanks to their expertise in spatial thinking and detailed resolution.
|Degree||BDes in Interior Design|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Design in Interior Design|
|Duration||Course Duration of a Bachelor Of Technology is 4 Years And Lateral Entry for diploma candidates is 3 years.|
|Maximum age limit||23 Years|
|Minimum Percentage||(10+2) 60% and Above for B.Tech and Lateral Entry diploma with 50% in all semesters.|
|Subjects Required||Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology|
|Average Fees Incurred||INR 10k-5lacs (Depends Upon University and Colleges)|
|Similar Options||B.E or B.Sc|
|Average Salary||INR 5 Lakh – 12 Lakh per annum|
|Employment Roles||According to this specialization, job opportunities are available for textile designer, graphic designer, Fashion Designer, etc.|
This Blog Includes:
What is BDes Interior Designing About?
BDes in Interior Design is a four-year undergraduate programme that focuses on the art and science of understanding people’s behaviour in order to create functional spaces within a building.
- Students in this programme create ecologically sound and sustainable interior and spatial environments for clients.
- BDes in Design provides a comprehensive understanding of contemporary professional practice as well as all aspects of project management in the field of Interior Design.
- Through project-based learning, this course focuses on providing professional training in the development of creative design solutions for interior spaces.
- This course typically costs between INR 20,000 and INR 1,50,000. Graduates of this course can expect to earn between 3 and 7 LPA depending on their skills and knowledge.
Why Pursue BDes Interior Designing?
The advantages of pursuing the BDes Interior Designing course are as follows:
- A BDes in an Interior Design group will be a self-contained organisation comprised of individuals who will collaborate to achieve a common goal.
- Individuals share a common interest in societal economic, social, and cultural needs.
- Students will learn technical tools like AutoCAD, hand drawing, and model making, as well as verbal presentation skills.
- There are numerous roles and opportunities available to a candidate pursuing this career.
- Students who want to learn critical thinking and problem-solving skills in order to provide creative solutions at various levels of society should pursue a BDed in Interior Design.
- The demand for BDes in Interior Design graduates will always be present in the future, so the employment ratio will always be increasing.
Admission to the Bachelor of Design or BDes in Interior Design programme is based on both selection tests and the University or school’s legitimacy.
Candidates applying for the Bachelor of Design or BDes in Interior Design programme must have completed their graduation from a separate board/college. Entrance Exams are required for admission to some colleges.
- Candidates can fill out the affirmation structure online via the school website or in person at the school grounds.
- Candidates were required to fill in the details in addition to the existing reports.
- Candidates are strongly encouraged to review the list of Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Design or BDes in Interior Design as referenced on the websites of various Universities.
- Candidates must pass the selection test and have the required imprints for the specific college/school.
The following are the eligibility requirements for the Bachelor of Design or BDes in Interior Design programme:
- The candidate most likely completed graduation with a minimum of 45% to 50% total imprints from a recognised college or board. The eligibility rate varies between colleges and universities. As a result, applicants are strongly encouraged to visit the specific school website for additional details.
- Some institutions conduct direct confirmation based on imprints obtained at the graduation level, but the vast majority of institutions conduct college or school selection tests.
BDes in Interior Design Entrance Exams
Here is a list of exams that are conducted to secure admission to the BDes in Interior Designing course:
|Entrance Exam||Application Form last date||Exam Date|
|IIT JEE (MAINS + ADVANCED)||January session – January 12, 2023, April Session- March 7. 2023||January session – January 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31, 2023
April session – April 06, 08, 10, 11 and 12
|VEE||To be notified||To be notified|
|MHT-CET||April 2023||May 2023|
|VITEEE||31 March 2023||17th – 23rd April 2023|
|BITSAT||2nd week of June 2023||1st session- 2nd week of July 20232nd session- 1st week of August 2023|
Must Read: Master in Interior Design in UK
BDes Interior Design: Exam Preparation Tips
To pass the Bachelor of Design or BDes in Interior Design selection test, a competitor must have exceptional abilities and knowledge. Here are a few pointers to help you prepare for outstanding performance on the test:
- Learning about the syllabus for the selection test: The very first step is to download a copy of the syllabus from the specific school/placement test website that is available. It is extraordinary to feel the need to highlight facts from the syllabus that can assist one in comprehending the breadth of the subject matter covered in the course.
- Reading and revising previous topics: Do read and try to revise subjects that are extremely important for the point of the examination as it can help with making the best use of time and scoring high marks. Re-reading old books or themes also aids in gaining calculated learning, which makes it much easier for the aspiring student during test time.
- The Golden Rule of “Careful Discipline Produces Promising Results”: A candidate should practise and change all of their ideas as many times as possible before the test so that any last-second pressure is removed.
BDes in Interior Design: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Basics of Structure 1||Basics of Structure 2|
|Hypothesis of Design||Research Planning Design Process|
|Freehand Drawing and Geometric Construction||Systematic Drawing|
|Material Exposure||Fundamentals of Photography|
|Relational abilities||Humanities, Art, and evaluation|
|Prologue to Computers 1||Prologue to Computers 2|
|Basics of Design 1||Basics of Design 2|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Introduction to History of Crafts and Interior Design 1||Basics of Building Services 1|
|Fundamentals of Interior Materials 1||Fundamentals of Interior Materials 2|
|Anthropometry and Ergonomics||Elective (Poetry and Literature/ Journalism)|
|Practical Drawings and Computer Applications||Advance Computer Application|
|Introduction to Interior Construction 1||Introduction to Interior Construction 2|
|Fundamentals of Interior Design 1||Fundamentals of Interior Design 2|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Basics of Building Services 2||Basics of Building Services 3|
|Fundamentals of Interior Materials 3||Analysis of Cost Estimation|
|Elective (Dance and Music/ Theatre and Film Making)||Elective (Human Interaction/ Marketing)|
|Introduction to Materials and Processes 1||Basics of Arts and Crafts|
|Theory of Interior Construction 3||Practical Uses of Interior Construction 4|
|Fundamentals of Interior Design 3||Fundamentals of Interior Design 4|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Basics of Building Services 4||Seminar/ Thesis Topic|
|Practice session||Case Study|
|Introduction to Specifications and Controls||Project work|
|Fundamentals of Product Semantics||–|
|Analysis of Interior Landscape||–|
|Basics of Interior Design 5||–|
Here are the top colleges in India from where you can pursue BDes in Interior Design. Have a look at their average fees and salary in the table below:
|Name of College/University||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Navi Mumbai||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 5 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 9.75 LPA|
|Pearl Academy||INR 3.2 LPA||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)||INR 3.3 LPA||INR 4.75 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 7 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Kannur||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 4 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Bangalore||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 4.5 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Bhubaneswar||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 8 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Chennai||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 5 LPA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Srinagar||INR 2.15 LPA||INR 3 LPA|
Note: This is a specialisation majorly available in India, hence there are no universities that provide this course abroad.
Careers and Salary
Here are the top careers and their respective average salaries after BDes Interior Designing:
|Profession Title||Average Salary|
|Interior Designer||INR 4 to 9 LPA|
|Teacher||INR 2 to 5 LPA|
|Researcher||INR 3 to 7 LPA|
|Theatre Designer||INR 2.5 to 6.5 LPA|
|Consultant||INR 3 to 5 LPA|
|Exhibition Designer||INR 2.7 to 8 LPA|
By understanding individuals’ behaviour and necessities, the programme has been designed to bring qualified understudies specialisation in a wide range of ideas and procedures involved in organising, managing, and planning the interiors of habitations and buildings.
The goal is to renovate the areas so that they reflect the choices and personalities of the people who occupy them. Interior Design is a well-known field of work, with Interior Designers needed in clinics, shopping malls, hotels, restaurants, town planning divisions, and so on. Graduates can work as teachers/instructors, independent experts, and in other positions after successfully completing the course.
A candidate who has successfully completed a BDes in Interior Design degree can work in a variety of administrative fields. They can pursue a Master’s degree in the same field or an MBA degree. On the basis of their talent and capabilities, they can also work abroad with multinational corporations.
Must Read: Interior Design Courses in New Zealand
A. Interior Design BDes is concerned with the art and science of understanding people’s behaviour in order to create functional spaces within a building. It is a four-year undergrad course that focuses on balancing creativity with sensitive, pragmatic design thinking.
A. Bdes is the best for interiors. BSc will provide you with scientific knowledge. Except for basic math, no science is required for Interiors. So Bdes is the better option.
A. Depending on your specialisation, you can get a job with a BDes degree in a variety of fields such as e-Commerce, Production, Fashion, and Animation. Fashion Designer is one of the most popular BDes job profiles. Designer of visual arts.
This was all about the BDes Interior Design course. Subscribe to Leverage Edu for more informative blogs. If you wish to study abroad and need any assistance throughout the procedure, connect with our experts at 1800 57 2000 and book your 30-minute free counselling session.