The SHDF scholarship, also known as the Sikh Human Development Foundation Scholarships, was established by the Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council. The SHDF scholarships aim to support academically talented students from economically disadvantaged families in Punjab and other states in North India.
Over the past 20 years, more than 7,000 scholarships have been awarded to deserving students under the SHDF scholarship program, with approximately three-quarters of the recipients being Indian girls who are in critical need of financial assistance for higher education. Keep reading this blog article till the end to know about Sikh Human Development Foundation Scholarships in detail.
|Scholarship Name||SHDF scholarship|
|Conducted By||Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council and Sikh Human Development Foundation|
|Rewards||Up to INR 33k|
|Who Can Apply?||Sikh students who are pursuing professional degree/diploma courses|
This Blog Includes:
The eligibility criteria for the SHDF scholarships, also referred to as NISHKAM, are as follows:
- The applicant must be pursuing a professional diploma, degree, or postgraduate course from a recognized university or institute in India.
- They must have obtained a minimum of 60% marks in their last two examinations.
- Additionally, the total annual family income of the candidate applying for the scholarship should not exceed INR 2.5 lakh.
The SHDF scholarship scheme was initiated by the Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council in collaboration with the Sikh Human Development Foundation, based in the USA. The program benefits various deserving students, including orphans, children of widows, individuals with chronically ill parents, Gurudwara sewadars, farmers, household servants, and female tailors, among others.
Under this scholarship scheme, selected students are granted an annual amount of up to INR 33,000 to support their pursuit of a professional degree or diploma course. To continue receiving the benefits of the scholarship, applicants must submit a renewal application.
Also Read: Aga Khan Scholarship 2023
Steps to Apply for the SHDF Scholarship
The primary objective of the SHDF scholarships, which are administered by the Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council in New Delhi and the Sikh Hindu Development Foundation, is to provide financial assistance to Sikh students from low-income families in Punjab.
However, students from other states in North India may also benefit from this scholarship program.
If you are also seeking the benefits of this scholarship and wish to apply for it, then follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council, which is www.nishkam.org.
Step 2: Select the “scholarship application form for new cases- 2021-22” from the recent news & updates section.
Step 3: Download and print the application form.
Step 4: Fill it out accurately, attach the required supporting documents, and send the completed form through registered/speed post or courier to the provided address.
It should be noted that the last date to apply for the SHDF scholarships is 30 September 2023.
Also Read: President Scholarship in Canada
Selection Process For New Applicants
The SHDF scholarship places great importance on the selection process as it ensures that the scholarships are awarded to the most deserving candidates who meet the established criteria.
The selection procedure for new applicants for the SHDF scholarships is based on the following criteria:
- Firstly, there will be a written examination consisting of two papers. Paper I will assess the candidates’ proficiency in the Punjabi language at an elementary level. Paper II will cover religious and moral studies.
- After the written exam, candidates will be called for an interview.
Also Read: Top Scholarships To Study Online
Selection Process for Renewal Applicants
Below mentioned is the selection process for renewal applicants:
For renewal applicants:
- The selection process for the SHDF scholarships involves an interview.
- The interviews for renewal candidates will be conducted at various centres located in Amritsar, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Faridkot, Bathinda, Moga, Hoshiarpur, Shahbad, and New Delhi.
- These selection procedures aim to identify deserving candidates for the SHDF scholarship.
- The written exam tests the candidates’ language proficiency and knowledge of religious and moral studies, while the interview provides an opportunity for a comprehensive assessment of their qualifications, aspirations, and suitability for the scholarship program.
By conducting written exams and interviews:
- The SHDF scholarships program strives to identify individuals who demonstrate academic potential, a strong understanding of Sikh values, and a commitment to their community.
- Candidates who successfully complete the selection process and are awarded this scholarship will receive financial support to pursue their educational goals and realise their career aspirations.
- The SHDF scholarships not only provide financial assistance but also recognizes the recipients’ dedication, hard work, and potential to contribute positively to society.
The Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council, in collaboration with the Sikh Human Development Foundation, has designed a comprehensive selection procedure to ensure fairness, transparency, and meritocracy in the awarding of the SHDF scholarship.
By adhering to a rigorous selection process, the scholarship program aims to empower deserving students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and pave the way for their future success.
Also Read: UEA’s MSc Applied Training Scholarship
The SHDF scholarships have provided young people in India with an opportunity to achieve financial independence and pursue their desired careers. Students who have benefited from this scholarship program have already secured successful professional positions in various fields such as IT, Medicine, Engineering, Architecture, and more.
When applying for this scholarship, applicants will need to submit certain essential documents.
These documents include:
- DMC/attested copies of professional courses by a Gazetted officer
- Copies of fee receipts
- Family income certificate
- Recent photographs of the applicant
- Mark sheet copies of class 10th class examination
- Photocopy of the front page of the passbook/cancelled cheque
- Report from college/ institute authorities duly signed by the Head of the College/Institute with date and stamp in prescribed format
Also Read: Creative Writing Scholarships
To obtain further information about the scheme, interested students can refer to the provided contact details:
Also Read: Top 10 Sports Scholarships in India
The SHDF Scholarship is a program initiated by the Nishkam Sikh Welfare Council and the Sikh Human Development Foundation. It aims to provide financial assistance to academically talented students from economically backward families, particularly in Punjab and other states of North India.
To be eligible for the SHDF Scholarship, applicants must be undertaking a professional diploma/degree or postgraduate course from a recognized university or institute in India. They should have secured a minimum of 60% marks in their last two examinations. Additionally, the annual family earnings of the candidate must not exceed INR 2.5 lakh.
The SHDF has granted over 7,000 scholarships to needy students, with a significant portion of them awarded to Indian girl students over the past 20 years.
The necessary documents for the SHDF Scholarship application include recent photographs of the applicant, copies of their 10th-grade mark sheets, attested copies of professional course certificates, copies of fee receipts, a family income certificate, a photocopy of the front page of their bank passbook or a cancelled cheque, and a report from their college or institute authorities, duly signed by the Head of the College/Institute with the date and stamp in the prescribed format.
The selection process for new applicants includes a written exam consisting of two papers: an elementary test in Punjabi language (Paper I) and a religious and moral studies paper (Paper II). Additionally, an interview is conducted to assess the candidates. Renewal applicants are selected based on an interview held at various centres in Amritsar, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Faridkot, Bathinda, Moga, Hoshiarpur, Shahbad, and New Delhi.
While the primary focus of the SHDF Scholarship is on Sikh students from low-income families in Punjab, students from other North Indian states may also benefit from this scholarship program.
This was all about Sikh Human Development Foundation Scholarships. If you wish to know about other exciting scholarships as well, then don’t forget to follow our Scholarships page.